You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

I couldn't watch that all, just skipped most of it. What was the story behind it?

It's basically a bloke talking about how his Dog was the only one there for him in a difficult time of his life and the memories he and his friends have of him. He then takes him to be put down (which it effectively shows) and how distraught he is by it. It's fucking brilliant but awful at the same time.

• 2 weeks later...

He looks like a Ridley Scott Alien

294690_10152028665290024_1143763561_n.jpg

After 2 nights away he fell asleep with my shoe

418405_10152094612920024_595301353_n.jpg

If you haven't seen Dog Shaming you are missing out. This is Stan's effort

558399_10152071456280024_1668528816_n.jpg

I notice that most of my pictures of him are indoors. I think this is because when we go out I'm enjoying myself as much as he is so don't have a chance to take a photo for you lot.

Proper loving this dog ownership lark, love the walkies in the pissing down rain at 7am, love his tail going when his favourite toy gets discovered (for the 7th time that day), love how he runs about mad for about 5 minutes when we come in after being out (doesn't matter if it's been 10 minutes or 4 hours) cannot imagine how I've lived this long without being a dog owner.

558399_10152071456280024_1668528816_n.jpg

this one is great.

he's so just after waking up hasnt he. Ears back, relaxed, and still a full on sleep head on him

Dogs have it all figured out. Look at their waking ritual - no alarm clock, shower, shave, dress etc etc

Nope - have a bit of yawn and a shake and you're ready for another day of fun.

dogs are just amazing have a terrier and a lab lurch cross. had a rottie he died of cancer a few months ago. fucking heartbreaking it was. remenber briging him to the vet i was acting all calm saying it was for the best but when it came time i fell apart the easy thing is loving them the hardest is saying goodbye.

• 3 weeks later...

Advice needed: Stan had to have his anal glands emptied last Saturday at the vets and we were advised to put more fibre in his diet and were recommended bran flakes to bulk up his stools which we've been doing since Monday. He was showing slight (not nearly as bad) signs they're still bothering him this morning before he went for his morning dump.

Should we leave it a few days for the fibre to kick in (stools slightly harder already) or whisk him the vets again? Money isnt the issue BTW as we have unlimited fingerings for him. just wondering if I'm not giving it enough time to follow the vet advice

Guest Pistonbroke
Advice needed: Stan had to have his anal glands emptied last Saturday at the vets and we were advised to put more fibre in his diet and were recommended bran flakes to bulk up his stools which we've been doing since Monday. He was showing slight (not nearly as bad) signs they're still bothering him this morning before he went for his morning dump.

Should we leave it a few days for the fibre to kick in (stools slightly harder already) or whisk him the vets again? Money isnt the issue BTW as we have unlimited fingerings for him. just wondering if I'm not giving it enough time to follow the vet advice

Normally happens with older dogs, the missus used to squeeze our old dogs anal glands herself, saved a fortune and the vet showed her how to do it himself (our old vet was a family friend, pity he popped his clogs) and it was a pretty standard procedure anyone can do. Unless the glands become infected it isn't a serious problem. By upping the fibre intake it will lead to bigger stools. Another source of food which will prevent your dogs becoming too soft which causes the gland problems is fresh veg such as Carrots, Cabbage or Celery, our dog loves carrots. If money isn't a problem you can buy the more expensive dog food with a high percentage of veg or fibre.

Normally happens with older dogs, the missus used to squeeze our old dogs anal glands herself, saved a fortune and the vet showed her how to do it himself (our old vet was a family friend, pity he popped his clogs) and it was a pretty standard procedure anyone can do. Unless the glands become infected it isn't a serious problem. By upping the fibre intake it will lead to bigger stools. Another source of food which will prevent your dogs becoming too soft which causes the gland problems is fresh veg such as Carrots, Cabbage or Celery, our dog loves carrots. If money isn't a problem you can buy the more expensive dog food with a high percentage of veg or fibre.

I've seen carrots mentioned online actually. He has specific greyhound and lurcher feed (which is what he's always been fed apparently) at the minute plus treats and now some branflakes with it. But might try carrot with his brekkie too

I think as I'm a first time dog owner I'm being a helicopter parent

Guest Pistonbroke
I've seen carrots mentioned online actually. He has specific greyhound and lurcher feed (which is what he's always been fed apparently) at the minute plus treats and now some branflakes with it. But might try carrot with his brekkie too

I think as I'm a first time dog owner I'm being a helicopter parent

We were all there once mate, learning by doing.

Just dice and cook the carrot first so it is nice and soft and mix it in with his food, he may not eat all of it but a lot should find its way into his system. If our dog goes off her food we put a splash of cod liver oil on it and she loves the stuff. We use it anyway once a day as it is healthy for the animal.

Guest Pistonbroke
STANECDOTE: he had carrot with his tea last night and this morning his poo was nice and solid. And it reeled, scent glands are active. Cheers again PB

You are more than welcome mate, glad he is fine.

[YOUTUBE]h-zWP01lANA[/YOUTUBE]

nice training Paulie.

once you have them coming for food, the rest is plain sailing. You can simply whistle and give him a treat, thats another handy one. Especially when you're out and you want to keep screaming his name in the park.

i have my 2 and half year old beagle coming back to me like a boomerang with a quick whistle. She's just getting used to to walking around the streets now off the lead. Im still bricking it she'll run out onto the road, but i generally do it very early in the morning, or pick a housing estate with little traffic, eventully she'll get it.

their great craic though arent they.

my other little dog Jack (westie) rolled in shite on his walk earlier. I was proper annoyed with the little idiot, but after a wash and a quick blow dry (for him, not me), we're friends again, and he's asleep beside me on the couch.

i can honestly say id never be without dogs now. their just great :yes: