You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Spearing = Long term replacement for Mascherano?

Best Believe It

In my opinion, he's deffo good enough to play in the team as 3rd choice now. After that, it's all down to him. The thing that is most in his favour is his intelligence, in my view. He reads the game very well and also makes the right decision most of the time. When that is allied to good technique and effort then there's not a lot else other than opportunity to stop him. I'm not sure a purely defensive role would get the best out of him, but then again, I'm not sure if he can reach the requisite level to play as an attacking midfielder for a club with our aspirations. But then again, who knows?

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In my opinion, he's deffo good enough to play in the team as 3rd choice now. After that, it's all down to him. The thing that is most in his favour is his intelligence, in my view. He reads the game very well and also makes the right decision most of the time. When that is allied to good technique and effort then there's not a lot else other than opportunity to stop him. I'm not sure a purely defensive role would get the best out of him, but then again, I'm not sure if he can reach the requisite level to play as an attacking midfielder for a club with our aspirations. But then again, who knows?

he is deffo better than Lucas* so should deffo be staring every week.

* I do not want this to be another who is better thread argument. but just stating a fact!

I've seen Spearing play quite a lot - reserves on LFC tv mostly where he has been good - but that level is poor. To say he can replace Masch is totally ridiculous, Spearing is a good Championship player and no more.

How do you know that until he plays in the Premier League? It's equally as daft to say something like this, as it is to say that he'll become a world class player.

Until we give him a chance in the premiership we have no idea. Some players dominate in the reserves, and make an instant impression when they're given a senior call up. Others take a little longer to make the jump, and many never do at all. But in all the football I've seen over the years, there's no predicting which players will succeed in the longterm (unless they are the leading lights of their generation, but let's face it, these are limited to a handful - it's a privilege to see them before they become big names!

• 2 months later...
Pacheco is getting the plaudits for his cameo performance and rightly so but the best pass of the game was by Spearing out to the right for Pacheco to chase onto.

Was a quality pass that Xabi would have been proud of.

Nearly a perfect pass that, but I though it was a bit too overhit and that we got lucky their full back gave away a corner. I don't think Pacheco could've done much more than stopping it and continuing into the Kop himself.

Good vision by Spearing none the less.

Pacheco is getting the plaudits for his cameo performance and rightly so but the best pass of the game was by Spearing out to the right for Pacheco to chase onto.

Was a quality pass that Xabi would have been proud of.

With the right opportunities, I think he could grow into a cracking little player. He's not there yet by any means, but he's got a lot to his game - not least in his head; he's confident, intelligent and composed.

I don't think he is ultimately good enough but he has a cracking attitude & is giving it his all to make it here.

I hope he does & if he doesn't he will still have a good career a bit further down.

What a contrast to Plessis who has significant physical advantages, showed a lot more in that brief cameo at the Arse & has then pissed it up the wall.

we haven't got the quality around us in midfield to give spearing a chance to grow.

last season spearing coming on for 15 mins to play alongside masch or alonso no problems.

next season spearing coming on to play alongside lucas or aquilani - too much for the lad imo.

So. It's our other midfielders fault that Spearing doesn't look good enough?

Great.

young emerging players have a greater chance of success if they have quality around them to support them as they develop. that's all i'm really saying here.

Or if they're good enough, like N;Gog, they'll do well anyway.

Us being shit didn't stop Fowler, Gerrard and a few others being class players.

If Spearing is good enough, better than Lucas apparently, then he'll show it no matter who is playing next to him.

I agree, I was merely referring to the forum conventional wisdom.

Unfortunately I don't think he will make it. We saw against Chelsea that our midfield was too lightweight and small with Masc and Lucas.

We need a physically dominant midfield partner for Aquilani (if he becomes a regular for us) and Spearing isn't that.

As a third or fourth choice midfielder I think he is adequate.

I would love to be proved wrong but I just don't see him establishing himself in the side.

As I've said before it won't be Spearing's lack of height or strenght that will hold him back but his lack of pace. Players like Makalele and Mascherano are the same height but both were/are deceptively quick. Speo doesn't seem to have that kind of pace off the mark, as far as I can tell.

But then again that is not certain to stop him from becoming a valuable squad player which would be a very good thing for both the club and him.