You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

What constitutes the perfect cooked breakfast?

ISeeRed

Beans with a full English?  

229 members have voted

1. 1. Beans with a full English?

• Aye, bean me up, Scotty.
    • Nay, poke your beans up your bum, one at a time.

On 06/10/2019 at 23:22, Evelyn Tentions said:

Black pudding improves the flavour of just about anything.

Except beans, which are beyond redemption.

Here speaketh a man who has never eaten sexy mexi beans. Dice up 120gram of dried hot salami, add some diced black pudding, and cook over a low heat - no oil, once browned, add in a can of Heinz best, a splash of hot sauce and some grated cheddar.

serve over buttery, toasted bread.

On 07/10/2019 at 18:20, Spy Bee said:

I got myself to The Hideout this weekend. I opted for the small breakfast at £8.50 because it seemed pretty substantial and I wanted to leave some room for beer.

1 x sausage

1 x bacon

1 x tomatoe

mushrooms

1 x black pudding

3 x hash browns

1 x egg

1 x bread

image.png

It was excellent. Every ingredient was dead tasty! The service was good and the restaurant was dead nice. A bit pricey, but I'll be going again!

State of the plate, who served it, mrs miggins?

On 14/10/2019 at 22:44, KMD7 said:

Anyone think Remmie doth protest too much?  Come on Rem, it's ok to love the bean

Having not eaten beans for the best part of 18 months, we were in the supermarket the week before my op, and i said to the missus, lets get a couple of cans in, I’m gonna be licking beans like a motherfucker post op. She said that was something to look forward to.

• Upvote 4

On 30/10/2019 at 08:03, lifetime fan said:

A breakfast has to have fried bread and toast. 

The hash browns I just do because they’re there, have no particularly strong feelings either way. 

Love haggis but never had it on a breakfast. 

Was Heinz beans with leftover chorizo that needed using up, red onion, Tabasco, hot paprika, sriracha sauce and chipotle sauce. 

Digging the beans (minus onion which is fucked)

On 02/11/2019 at 02:10, Tony Moanero said:

Cherry tomatoes belong in a salad, fried onions on a hot dog. I had to use a magnifying glass to indentify the white pudding. No mushrooms. I’d rather have originary toast than sourdough. Sausages and bacon look good but are burnt in places. 5/10

I’m with TM on this one. Also sausages should be pig, pig, pig. No pincers.

On 15/11/2019 at 05:30, arthur friedenreich said:

Here speaketh a man who has never eaten sexy mexi beans. Dice up 120gram of dried hot salami, add some diced black pudding, and cook over a low heat - no oil, once browned, add in a can of Heinz best, a splash of hot sauce and some grated cheddar.

serve over buttery, toasted bread.

It could well be tasty - if you leave the beans out.

I cannot understand the fascination with the horrible little fuckers. The are just little packages of starch with an unpleasant texture and no intrinsic taste wrapped in a plastic skin and swathed in a tomato and sugar glop with spices and E numbers. The  adherents of various brands have their preference based on the flavour (I use the term loosely) of the glop, the actual beans are identical.

If you enjoy them, great. In fact you can have my share but I have no intention of eating anything polluted by them.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

On 07/10/2019 at 08:20, Spy Bee said:

I got myself to The Hideout this weekend. I opted for the small breakfast at £8.50 because it seemed pretty substantial and I wanted to leave some room for beer.

1 x sausage

1 x bacon

1 x tomatoe

mushrooms

1 x black pudding

3 x hash browns

1 x egg

1 x bread

image.png

It was excellent. Every ingredient was dead tasty! The service was good and the restaurant was dead nice. A bit pricey, but I'll be going again!

Would've been nice if they'd cooked both sides of the sausage, and the bread. It's a sensible plate away from being a 4/10.

8 hours ago, Evelyn Tentions said:

I cannot understand the fascination with the horrible little fuckers. The are just little packages of starch with an unpleasant texture and no intrinsic taste wrapped in a plastic skin and swathed in a tomato and sugar glop with spices and E numbers. The  adherents of various brands have their preference based on the flavour (I use the term loosely) of the glop, the actual beans are identical.

If you enjoy them, great. In fact you can have my share but I have no intention of eating anything polluted by them.

Sugar and E numbers are boss, just not in baked beans. 

8 hours ago, Evelyn Tentions said:

I've gone over the ingredients a few times, but I cannot locate the E numbers. Can you help out?

• Beans (51%),Tomatoes (34%), Water, Sugar, Spirit Vinegar, Modified Corn Flour, Salt, Spice Extracts, Herb Extract
  • Upvote 1

Number 

Name

Function

Dextrins 

Thickening agent

Acid treated starch 

Thickening agent

Alkaline treated starch 

Thickening agent

Bleached starch 

Thickening agent

E1404

Oxidised starch 

Thickening agent

E1410

mono-starch phosphate 

Thickening agent 

Di-starch glycerol

Thickening agent 

E1412

Di-starch phosphates

Thickening agent 

E1413

Phosphatylated di-starch phosphate

Thickening agent 

E1414

Acetylated di-starch phosphate

Thickening agent 

E1420

Starch acetate

Thickening agent 

Starch acetate 

Thickening agent 

E1422

Acetylated di-starch adipate

Thickening agent 

Acetylated di-starch glycerol 

Thickening agent 

E1440

Hydroxypropylstarch

Thickening agent 

Hydroxypropyl-di-starchglycerol

Thickening agent 

E1442

Hydroxypropyl-di-starchphosphate

Thickening agent 

E1450

Starch sodium octenyl succinate 

Thickening agen

E-numbers relating to modified corn starch. And you could probably do a similar exercise for spice and herb extracts

Companies don’t name e-numbers anymore as the general public aren’t keen on them

4 hours ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

I've gone over the ingredients a few times, but I cannot locate the E numbers. Can you help out?

• Beans (51%),Tomatoes (34%), Water, Sugar, Spirit Vinegar, Modified Corn Flour, Salt, Spice Extracts, Herb Extract

Looks like a whole lot of tasty goodness there.

Beans

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, PestiRed said:

Number 

Name

Function

Dextrins 

Thickening agent

Acid treated starch 

Thickening agent

Alkaline treated starch 

Thickening agent

Bleached starch 

Thickening agent

E1404

Oxidised starch 

Thickening agent

E1410

mono-starch phosphate 

Thickening agent 

Di-starch glycerol

Thickening agent 

E1412

Di-starch phosphates

Thickening agent 

E1413

Phosphatylated di-starch phosphate

Thickening agent 

E1414

Acetylated di-starch phosphate

Thickening agent 

E1420

Starch acetate

Thickening agent 

Starch acetate 

Thickening agent 

E1422

Acetylated di-starch adipate

Thickening agent 

Acetylated di-starch glycerol 

Thickening agent 

E1440

Hydroxypropylstarch

Thickening agent 

Hydroxypropyl-di-starchglycerol

Thickening agent 

E1442

Hydroxypropyl-di-starchphosphate

Thickening agent 

E1450

Starch sodium octenyl succinate 

Thickening agen

E-numbers relating to modified corn starch. And you could probably do a similar exercise for spice and herb extracts

Companies don’t name e-numbers anymore as the general public aren’t keen on them

But there's E-numbers, and then there's E-numbers. Just using the term "E-numbers" is intended to imply something sinister, isn't it.

I mean, I doubt people would describe Vitamins B, C and E as E-numbers, but they are.

14 minutes ago, Dougie Do'ins said:

Was that bacon cooked while tied to a spacecraft reentering earths atmosphere ?

I like my bacon crispy, to be fair it wasn’t the best cuts, if it had been decent then the eye of the back bacon takes a lot less heat, as I cook it separate to the streaky fat, but in the fat just before serving.