You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

What constitutes the perfect cooked breakfast?

ISeeRed

Beans with a full English?  

229 members have voted

1. 1. Beans with a full English?

• Aye, bean me up, Scotty.
    • Nay, poke your beans up your bum, one at a time.

2 minutes ago, Tony Moanero said:

The gentrification of the cooked breakfast is a frigging disgrace. £11 for a ponced-up but shit plate of breakfast food, in northern England, disgusts me. 

Quality ingredients cost more, so I do understand the price being quite high in breakfasts containing premium ingredients but you pay at least £6 for a plate containing 2 of those shite reheated chippy sausages and smart price everything else.

A tenner in a decent place for a full brekkie is reasonable -- a full is two eggs, two rashers, two sausage, a black pud, fresh tomato half grilled, fresh chopped mushrooms, toast and a mug.

Anything less is robbery - adding frozen hashbrown or a cup of lukewarm beans from a tin just makes it worse.

• Upvote 3

23 minutes ago, Elite said:

Quality ingredients cost more, so I do understand the price being quite high in breakfasts containing premium ingredients but you pay at least £6 for a plate containing 2 of those shite reheated chippy sausages and smart price everything else.

It’s crazy. I bet you don’t have to pay a king’s ransom for a sausage and egg butty in Roy’s Rolls.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Carradona said:

The Brunch Club, Duke Street 

The Fry Up

£11

2 bacon - not well cooked, it tasted like it had been lying under a heat light for 30 minutes

1 sausage - normal pork sausage, short but stubby

1 hash brown - cheap standard

1 black pudding - over cooked

1 grilled tomato

2 fried eggs

Mushrooms

Beans

Granary toast

Some randomer green nonsense

A generous 5/10. No tea or coffee included again.

20191006_122313.jpg

Hahahaha that looks like a Kula Shaker album. 

• Upvote 5

6 hours ago, Carradona said:

The Fry Up

£11

2 bacon - not well cooked, it tasted like it had been lying under a heat light for 30 minutes

1 grilled tomato

2 fried eggs

Mushrooms

Beans

Granary toast

20191006_122313.jpg

They want fucking for charging that in Liverpool. And they've struggled to make it fit on the plate including toast. 

5 hours ago, Tony Moanero said:

The gentrification of the cooked breakfast is a frigging disgrace. £11 for a ponced-up but shit plate of breakfast food, in northern England, disgusts me.

Dead on. What annoys me most, is there's nothing can beat a good breakfast and if it was top class, nice bacon, proper sausage, quality black pudding and free range eggs or duck eggs, I've no issue paying 11 quid or even a bit more. But for them to charge 11 quid and the cunts can't even fill the plate, fuck that shit. A breakfast should have quantity as well as quality. 

• Upvote 5

6 hours ago, Carradona said:

The Fry Up

£11

1 grilled tomato

2 fried eggs

Mushrooms

Beans

Granary toast

20191006_122313.jpg

Liverpool is just as expensive as London.

41 minutes ago, Barry Wom said:

They want fucking for charging that on Liverpool. And they've struggled to make it fit on the plate including toast. 

Dead on. What annoys me most, is there's nothing can beat a good breakfast and if it was top class, nice bacon, proper sausage, quality black pudding and free range eggs or duck eggs, I've no issue paying 11 quid or even a bit more. But for them to charge 11 quid and the cunts can't even fill the plate, fuck that shit. A breakfast should have quantity as well as quality. 

2 eggs, 2 rashers of bacon, 2 sausages, 2 slices of black pudding, mushrooms, whole tomato (halved) and beans (if you must), 2 rounds of generously buttered toast, one slice of fried bread and a mug of tea.

A proper cooked breakfast should see you through to teatime, but far too many are light in content - too few meat items and half a plate of beans.

• Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, Tony Moanero said:

A proper cooked breakfast should see you through to teatime, but far too many are light on content. 2 eggs, 2 rashers of bacon, 2 sausages, 2 slices of black pudding, mushrooms, whole tomato (halved) and beans (if you must), 2 rounds of generously buttered toast, one slice of fried bread. 

Yep. One sausage or bacon in particular is just a massive insult. Only vaguely acceptable if you are charging 3 or 4 quid and if there is another option available for a bigger version.

That one for 11 quid above is one of the worst I've seen. It's barely a meal. 

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, viRdjil said:

Post one then!! Also do you call it Full Scottish Brekkie up in Edinburgh?

I've not had a fry up for ages to be honest, last one I had I posted on here. Might make one myself next weekend if I remember although it can be hard work with the kids about.

It's generally called a full Scottish breakfast up here, aye.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Mook said:

I've not had a fry up for ages to be honest, last one I had I posted on here. Might make one myself next weekend if I remember although it can be hard work with the kids about.

It's generally called a full Scottish breakfast up here, aye.

I think I remember, with the square sausage and haggis. What’s the standard set of ingredients you expect to see from an FSB?

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, viRdjil said:

I think I remember, with the square sausage and haggis. What’s the standard set of ingredients you expect to see from an FSB?

Pretty much the same as an English one with tattie scone & haggis.

Square sausage goes on a roll not a fry up (although some chancers might try it).

3 hours ago, Tony Moanero said:

2 eggs, 2 rashers of bacon, 2 sausages, 2 slices of black pudding, mushrooms, whole tomato (halved) and beans (if you must), 2 rounds of generously buttered toast, one slice of fried bread and a mug of tea.

A proper cooked breakfast should see you through to teatime, but far too many are light in content - too few meat items and half a plate of beans.

Thats why the London arseholes started adding them in the first place. Fills the plate, fills the nonces who eat them

and costs fuck all to put them there.

• Upvote 1

I got myself to The Hideout this weekend. I opted for the small breakfast at £8.50 because it seemed pretty substantial and I wanted to leave some room for beer.

1 x sausage

1 x bacon

1 x tomatoe

mushrooms

1 x black pudding

3 x hash browns

1 x egg

1 x bread

image.png

It was excellent. Every ingredient was dead tasty! The service was good and the restaurant was dead nice. A bit pricey, but I'll be going again!

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

I got myself to The Hideout this weekend. I opted for the small breakfast at £8.50 because it seemed pretty substantial and I wanted to leave some room for beer.

1 x sausage

1 x bacon

1 x tomatoe

mushrooms

1 x black pudding

3 x hash browns

1 x egg

1 x bread

image.png

It was excellent. Every ingredient was dead tasty! The service was good and the restaurant was dead nice. A bit pricey, but I'll be going again!

Double the quantities (except for hash browns), take a pound off the price and serve it on a proper plate and I'd be happy with that.

37 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

1 x sausage

1 x bacon

1 x tomatoe

mushrooms

1 x black pudding

3 x hash browns

1 x egg

1 x bread

image.png

It looks like someone dropped the plate and hurriedly put everything back on and hoped no-one would notice

• Upvote 4

49 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

1 x sausage

1 x bacon

1 x tomatoe

mushrooms

1 x black pudding

3 x hash browns

1 x egg

1 x bread

image.png

That’s ridiculously expensive. I’m sure it was tasty, but you paid £8.50 and you got a single rasher of bacon? Daylight robbery!!

I’m getting good at this

• Upvote 1