You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

What constitutes the perfect cooked breakfast?

ISeeRed

Beans with a full English?  

229 members have voted

1. 1. Beans with a full English?

• Aye, bean me up, Scotty.
    • Nay, poke your beans up your bum, one at a time.

1 hour ago, Paulie Dangerously said:

Was it @Remmie who advocated halloumi on a breakfast as a salty alternative to bacon? I'm sure I poopooed it but, having just had halloumi and poached eggs for breakfast, can confirm it works. 

I may not have invented the concept but I'm claiming all royalties. 

I’m up in Edinburgh with my missus and staying in leith, ant particular recommendations for brekkie?

walked home past an Italian restaurant that does a breakfast menu, including full Scottish, so that’s on the cards as a maybe if we don’t find somewhere better, but recon you’ll know between you. 

6 hours ago, Bob Spunkmouse said:

I’m up in Edinburgh with my missus and staying in leith, ant particular recommendations for brekkie?

walked home past an Italian restaurant that does a breakfast menu, including full Scottish, so that’s on the cards as a maybe if we don’t find somewhere better, but recon you’ll know between you. 

The City Cafe on The Bridges is good. As is the Roseburn Cafe but that's a proper greasy spoon place (& the other end of town).

I'm never in Leith so can't really help there although The Foot of the Walk does a Weatherspoons-type fry up which is ok for the money. There will be a place at the shore that'll do a good one, loads of nice wee places to eat round there.

1 hour ago, Mook said:

The City Cafe on The Bridges is good. As is the Roseburn Cafe but that's a proper greasy spoon place (& the other end of town).

I'm never in Leith so can't really help there although The Foot of the Walk does a Weatherspoons-type fry up which is ok for the money. There will be a place at the shore that'll do a good one, loads of nice wee places to eat round there.

I assume you mean "The Fit Ay the Walk"

• Upvote 1

On 7/5/2018 at 10:28 AM, Karl_b said:

Decided to try a local café for the first time as a birthday, day-off special this morning. Bit of a mixed bag but mostly good.

2 eggs - good, rich, proper fucking runny.

2 rashers of bacon - lovely, thick and salty but slightly undercooked fat, slightly.

2 sausages - a bit cheap but ok.

Black pudding - good.

Fried bread - excellent, clearly cooked in the bacon fat.

Mushrooms, tomatoes - standard.

Beans - could have done with a few more minutes to thicken the sauce but, obviously, a delight to have on the plate.

Not in shot are two slices of excellent buttery white toast.

7.5/10

£8 with coffee.

bed9ac57b81eab3d463c99a0cd05db7f.jpg

Didn't go with the in-laws yesterday (mother-in-law had baked an amazing lemon drizzle cake, so we ate that instead) so the wife and I went for a brekkie this morning. We returned to the cafe above. Almost word for word the same review - good value, very filling. They've upped their black pudding game but the sausages are still a bit cheap. Quality 6.5/10, cost 8.50/10, overall 7.5/10.

20190217_101220.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Ended up wondering towards the Edinburgh and seeing what we came across.

walked past two or three hipsterish places before settling for a little Italian deli called Cafe Bellina.

full Scottish breakfast for £7.90, plus coffee extra.

bloody delicious.

Sausages were much meatier and tastier than I thought they’d be when I first saw them. Bacon was cooked perfectly. Haggis was really nice and peppery, though I’m no connoisseur.

toast (not pictured) came a little late, and with rock hard packet butter, but was nice. 

A solid 8/10, possibly 8.5 given what I think is a totally reasonable price. 

Missus had pancakes with bacon and syrup, cause she’s a bit of a cunt. Said it was nice.

278B9D8F-BD02-4C4B-A26A-2BAE6BBA24DC.jpeg

• Upvote 7

14 minutes ago, Karl_b said:

Didn't go with the in-laws yesterday (mother-in-law had baked an amazing lemon drizzle cake, so we ate that instead) so the wife and I went for a brekkie this morning. We returned to the cafe above. Almost word for word the same review - good value, very filling. They've upped their black pudding game but the sausages are still a bit cheap. Quality 6.5/10, cost 8.50/10, overall 7.5/10.

20190217_101220.jpg

Canned crushed tomatoes don’t look the most appetising, and what’s hiding behind the toasts?

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Bob Spunkmouse said:

Ended up wondering towards the Edinburgh and seeing what we came across.

walked past two or three hipsterish places before settling for a little Italian deli called Cafe Bellina.

full Scottish breakfast for £7.90, plus coffee extra.

bloody delicious.

Sausages were much meatier and tastier than I thought they’d be when I first saw them. Bacon was cooked perfectly. Haggis was really nice and peppery, though I’m no connoisseur.

toast (not pictured) came a little late, and with rock hard packet butter, but was nice. 

A solid 8/10, possibly 8.5 given what I think is a totally reasonable price. 

Missus had pancakes with bacon and syrup, cause she’s a bit of a cunt. Said it was nice.

278B9D8F-BD02-4C4B-A26A-2BAE6BBA24DC.jpeg

I’m a big fan of haggis in general. Obviously I’m no expert, but I’m pretty sure they’ve done the beans to perfection there. Is that right @Captain Turdseye?