You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

What constitutes the perfect cooked breakfast?

ISeeRed

Beans with a full English?  

229 members have voted

1. 1. Beans with a full English?

• Aye, bean me up, Scotty.
    • Nay, poke your beans up your bum, one at a time.

Too much sauce on the beans, and it makes the whole breakfast far too wet. Only time I'd ever have beans, is if they were overcooked, and thus the vast majority of the sauce had evaporated. Even then, it would only be a few spoonfuls on the side of my plate.

I tend to drain off most of the beanjuice from the can before putting into the pan, I then transfer them onto a plate using a fork or one of those holey-ladley-things as although I think beans are essential I don't wish the juice to spread along the plate and dampen my toast or come into contact with my egg

Guest Numero Veinticinco

If there is too much sauce with your beans, you're not cooking them for long enough. You need to cook them 'til they start to break down and the sauce thickens and the beans soak it up a bit.

• Upvote 1

If there is too much sauce with your beans, you're not cooking them for long enough. You need to cook them 'til they start to break down and the sauce thickens and the beans soak it up a bit.

I don't like them when they've broken down. If it were up to me each bean would just be covered in a thin layer of the sauce with no chance of it spreading accross the plate. I also like cold beans eaten with a fork to minimise sauce intake

Best breakfast in town is from the Shiraz cafe in Williamson Square. £3.99 and you get a free drink

Yep, I agree with that. I can never finish it though!

By the way, when you English mention the "Ulster fry" as part oyur breakfast, what is that?

Back home, an Ulster Fry is just everything (bacon, sausage, egg, etc.)

Is the "Ulster fry" you speak of a particular item of food?

Guest Numero Veinticinco
I don't like them when they've broken down. If it were up to me each bean would just be covered in a thin layer of the sauce with no chance of it spreading accross the plate.

I'm not talking mushed here, just beginning to break because that's when they're cooked properly. Otherwise they are like bullets with runny gunk over them.

I also like cold beans eaten with a fork to minimise sauce intake

That's a whole new level of bean wrongness.

Is the "Ulster fry" you speak of a particular item of food?

Yes. It's like a slice of bacon with rounded ends, and the consistency of a slightly thick piece of ham. It's very tasty. I suppose it looks something like a Bernard Matthew's Turkey Rasher, but tastier. I think we've always assumed it's something you brought across with you.

I like a fry up as a one off treat, but there's no way I could consume the quantities some of you are on about. For me a great fry up is about little bits of everything:

• 1 sausage with a high meat content - 85%+
  • 2 rashers of unsmoked bacon
  • 1 egg - how it's cooked depends on my mood, but I'd have to be seriously hung over to go for fried with all the other fat the plate would be laden with. I reckon scrambled, but still a bit runny is the way to go, in general.
  • 1 slice of black pudding
  • 1 fried tomato
  • a few fried mushrooms
  • either Tommy K or HP, again depending on what takes my fancy. Sometimes I want the sweetness of ketchup but other times the spice flavours of HP are just the ticket.
  • a pot of tea or coffee, once again depending on how I'm feeling. Tea for refreshment, coffee for a kick.
  • a slice of white toast with butter and raspberry jam to finish.

I don't generally think potatoes or beans have any business being on a cooked breaky (although each to their own, I suppose). Devilled kidneys are also ace, but they should be served on their own on toast rather than with everything else.

Yes. It's like a slice of bacon with rounded ends, and the consistency of a slightly thick piece of ham. It's very tasty. I suppose it looks something like a Bernard Matthew's Turkey Rasher, but tastier. I think we've always assumed it's something you brought across with you.

Well, I haven't heard of it before and have never seen it in our Ulster Fry back home!

Guest Numero Veinticinco
I want to punch mushrooms in their fucking head.

Damned straight. Fuck the mushrooms, and the toadstool they rode in on. They are food of the devil.

I've not eaten yet, but I'm seriously considering nipping to the shops for some bacon and making a cooked breakfast for my dinner. Either that, or I'll just order in a pizza or an Indian. I can't be arsed making anything tonight.