You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Corners

Magic Sponge

As stated, Hyppia is a big loss in this area.

True, but he hasn't played a full season for us in the last few years anyway and we should be able to cope with it by now.

Maybe we should give Kyrgiakos a go. He's strong in the air and alongside Agger he could do well. The two others deserve a few games on the sideline anyway.

Showing their support for the player maybe?

Fuck it, I want booing from the Kop when we win a corner and more booing when Gerrard goes to take them.

Yeah, keep saying it if it makes you feel better.

What bothers me is that we can't even try the alternatives. Or when we do and they work we switch straight back again and lose the next game.

I was thinking much the same yesterday - until we tried the "alternative" of Torres going across to receive (and then lay off) a short corner. Completely fucking pointless. The Rentboys must have been laughing their tiny stinking dicks off to see that.

Well I don't understand why Gerrard is taking them again.

The West Ham game showed he's more of a threat in the box.

totally agree but id leave him on the edge of the box, defenders would be afraid cause he could attack ball or smash in the knock downs

True, but he hasn't played a full season for us in the last few years anyway and we should be able to cope with it by now.

Maybe we should give Kyrgiakos a go. He's strong in the air and alongside Agger he could do well. The two others deserve a few games on the sideline anyway.

Did you actually watch Skrtel play against Chelsea ?

• 9 years later...
2 minutes ago, Em City said:

What the fuck are we doing with all these cunting outswinging corners?

I don't think Salah has ever beaten the first man with one. It's fucking maddening to watch.

Being shit at corners is a long standing club tradition.

I read somewhere that no team have scored more from corners than us this season. Seems unbelievable, like you say we very very rarely get it past the first defender.

Just now, Joey8FrogsLegs said:

Being shit at corners is a long standing club tradition.

I read somewhere that no team have scored more from corners than us this season. Seems unbelievable, like you say we very very rarely get it past the first defender.

i saw a stat during the Bournmouth game that showed us having the most goals from set pieces this season. 14 i believe. 

I hate that first man comment. It's fucking easy to get it past him, the key to scoring though is get past him with millimetres to spare. They had a team of giants tonight, we were never scoring from a corner tonight.

Shout out to Mane who has developed a rather cool habit of winning headers, doesn't score many but he's getting chances.

Stop trying to pick out players when taking a corner, and just focus on getting the ball into the danger area with plenty of pace and whip, and let the players in the middle contest it. Even if they don't always get on the end of it, the standard of delivery will be vastly improved.

• Upvote 1