You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Cordless Hammer Drills.

jacco maccaco

Any advice?

Broke my only drill today, A Bosch 24v, burnt the motor out, stunk too.

Been looking at DeWalt (XRP DC925K) and Makita (BHP451RFE)

I'm quoting the above 2 as they seems quite good, but as I know shit about these things any help would be appreciated.

Dont want to spend a lot, but looks like I may have too.

Really would prefer cordless.

Cheers.

depends on what you'll use it for.A cordless for light to medium work, but a plug in for heavy work larger bit sizes. I use makita but you can get good deals say at screwfix direct on a range of mid to expensive tools.

I was only drilling a few 7mm holes in to a concrete base (To secure a greenhouse for winter).

Didn't get past the 3rd hole!

I'm leaning towards the Makita tbh, as their battery technology seems better.

Still not cheap though, but I suppose you get what you pay for.

got This 36vBosch 2 weeks ago, fucking AWESOME drill, a mate of mines sister works for bosch Ireland so i got it on the cheap

seriously stunning drill, 3 year warranty, you cant go wrong

i use for flooring, putting down stair nosings, metal strips after i lay the floors, i couldnt be happier

Nice, Blue Bosch are the pro ones, way out of my (Wifes) price range.

Any advice?

Broke my only drill today, A Bosch 24v, burnt the motor out, stunk too.

Been looking at DeWalt (XRP DC925K) and Makita (BHP451RFE)

I'm quoting the above 2 as they seems quite good, but as I know shit about these things any help would be appreciated.

Dont want to spend a lot, but looks like I may have too.

Really would prefer cordless.

Cheers.

I sell power tools for a living, the shop I work for are also Makita and Dewalt agents; you are better off with a Makita. Regardless of what some may say, there is not a lot of difference in terms of quality but Makita have better batteries and the spares are cheaper are more easily available than Dewalt.

If you are going for the BHP451RFE though you would be better paying slightly more and getting the LXT202 kit which comes with the impact driver as well as the BHP451RFE drill, it only works out about £30 - £40 more and the impact driver pisses all over the Combi Drill when it comes to putting screws in.

The following Makita LXT202 Combi Kit Li-Ion 18V : Buy Makita LXT202 Combi Kit Li-Ion 18V at Axminster Power Tool Centre is a good deal on it, we sell it for £339.99 in our shop so it is a tenner cheaper with free delivery, some freebies thrown in and Axminster are a good, reputable company to deal with.

Nice, Blue Bosch are the pro ones, way out of my (Wifes) price range.

if you dont need a decent SDS for work, just rent one, sure i cant imagine you`d use one too often for home use, get yourself a half decent screw gun(Dewalt, Bosch, Makita, Hitachi), then whenever you need a heavier duty hammer action, hire a SDS drill

because the hammer action on most drills are only shite, they wouldnt drill threw much more than a concrete block to be honest

Makita every time. 18V will be fine for light/med work

ive always had Makitas, but i just think they`ve gone a bit plasticy the last few years

id stay european myself, bosch or hilti

actually, another cracking drill is panasonic, my mate had a savage 3.6amh one for bloody years, one of the early lithium batteries ones, it outlasted about 3 dewalts he had, grnted they`re not european, but alot better than you`d imagine

Edited by chrisbonnie

The best cordless to buy, unequivocally, is the Festool cordless.

mh45.jpg

Quick change chuck, right angle attachment, offcentre attachment and a screwdriver holder all on the one machine. Unfortunatley, as Festool only do woodworking equipment, it does not have a hammer action function. If you are a joiner/cabinet maker though, this is the drill for you.

Panasonic are good machines but you will have a nightmare trying to get spares or getting it repaired. There is not a lot of difference between Makita, Dewalt, Bosch, Hitachi etc... they are all very similar quality. Combi drill wise I would say Milwaukee are probably the best at the minute.

Oh, and Ryobi are aboslute shite.

get yourself down to makro, 40 odd quid for 24v cordless, the best cordless hammer drill i`ve ever used, including Makita and dewalt. the bollocks, nutool is the make. I`m a spark and it gets used loads. i`m on my second one in 4 years.At that price you cant go wrong. Go for the makita or dewalt, 2 or 3 years down the line, theyre fucked and your looking at another hefty outlay.

Quick change chuck, right angle attachment, offcentre attachment and a screwdriver holder all on the one machine. Unfortunatley, as Festool only do woodworking equipment, it does not have a hammer action function. If you are a joiner/cabinet maker though, this is the drill for you.

Panasonic are good machines but you will have a nightmare trying to get spares or getting it repaired. There is not a lot of difference between Makita, Dewalt, Bosch, Hitachi etc... they are all very similar quality. Combi drill wise I would say Milwaukee are probably the best at the minute.

yeah, Festool do some stunning tools, a chippy mate of mine has a router and bench saw from festool, very tasty i have to say

another good brand is Fein, they invented the drill actually, pointless fact 101 :yes:

mh45.jpg

Forgot about these bad boys, very good. they bought out Atlas Copco (used to be AEG) a few years ago, they struggle because their brand isn't a household name but i used to sell loads of these when i was in that game.