You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Insua, Ability & Experience

Red Nick

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's fucking rubbish that, Stu. Rubbish. You love your own gags even more than Bob Monkhouse (and he really loved his own gags).

No that's well funny. I know 'cos I'm well funny. You wouldn't know 'cos you're the teacher and the teacher is a square. Yeah, that's right. A square.

Mr Squaredycat. I bet they all call you that don't they?

He'll come good, lack of pace is a concern, but his positional sense will improve through experience and stop being exposed too much. He's also not the best Aerially, teams playing against us are targeting him at the moment, with their strikers peeling off from the CB's on to him then knocking the crossfield pass which he rarely intercepts or wins.

Ironic thing is we have 3 left backs and non of them are exeptional defenders.

Can we contrast this thread to the posts that are saying we should be blooding more of the reserves as opposed to having older squad players.

I'd actually like to see a few more reserves get a chance but then I'd also have a lot of patience and understand that performances might be mixed. Blooding youngsters is a luxury that a manager being held to a history that is no longer in synch with the present does not have.

Did anyone notice the situation before Aurelio was coming in??

Insua looked to the bench, saw that another LB is warming up and knew that he is playing extremely poor. He thought that Rafa is going to pull him off. And what he did???

He started limping on the pitch, acting like he is injured. Than when he realised that Stevie is going off he started to run again. What the fuck he was doing????

That is football 101, I was taught that by older players when I was 14. Not that I was ever substituted, no sir.

I think overall Insua is fine, at times other teams tend to target him and play long diagonal balls behind him. Being a shorty, and not the fastest guy on the planet, he seems to have problems with these situations. But I'm happy with him...

Don't get this suddon questioning of Insua's ability/potential. The lad has had a few ropey games, nothing more, was always going to happen. I've got no doubts over his ability, he will become top class, and is currently our best left-back so deserves his place in the side.

I don't understand why people have praised him so highly. I like his mentality and his attacking intent, but he looks very raw to me and always has done. What is it you see in him that makes you think he's our best left back? I'd have Aurelio there every week.

He is a young player for fuck sake, what do you expect from him?

you guys bitch and moan that we aren't bringing youngsters into the team, then when we do you bitch and moan that they are shit! Well Insua is not shit, he is a young inexperienced player who lacks consistency and got bummed by a far more experienced/pacier player...

Give the lad time.

Insua is too slow.

You can talk about his positioning issues, poor crossing, and basic defensive errors all day long - and he has been guilty of all of the aforementioned this season - but there is no young defender who is perfect.

However, he has no pace, and that's a killer for a full-back in this league.

So, despite having three LBs at the club, we need a new one, pronto, because Insua isn't good enough.

Insua is too slow.

You can talk about his positioning issues, poor crossing, and basic defensive errors all day long - and he has been guilty of all of the aforementioned this season - but there is no young defender who is perfect.

However, he has no pace, and that's a killer for a full-back in this league.

So, despite having three LBs at the club, we need a new one, pronto, because Insua isn't good enough.

That is why I also don't think he'll become a top left wing back. He can be taught to be better at defending etc. but his lack of pace will always haunt him.

I keep asking, but no-one can tell me - what are his strengths? I'm not trying to rip the lad to bits; I just want to know what it is I'm missing that the people who are defending him see. He's got that typical Argie aggression, which I like, but I don't see anything else that makes me think he has potential.

I'm disquieted, like Paul, by his rawness (although experience can, in time, resolve this) but above all by his obvious lack of pace, which opposition teams are highlighting by targetting now. i don't see how a modern full-back can overcome this fundamental flaw, and i certainly don't agree with Paul Tomkins's assessment of him that £7m would have been a bargain!

The problem is that I don't think Fabio's good enough as a leftback either, and Dossena clearly doesn't feature in rafa's plans long-term. Any regular matchgoers able to answer this - How does Insua compare pace wise to our Italian stallion? Is he even slower than Dossena?