You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

"How I turned a Torres Hat Trick into a criticism of Rafa" By Chris Bascombe

hamstrung

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Ulysses Everett McGill
To be fair to Chris, anything he has his name on, headline aside, is his responsibility. He knows that and we all know it.

Fair comment

I'd be very surprised if was responsible for that back page to be honest. It's a real shame about what happened* with the squeaky-voiced dwarf fuck, as I think for the Echo he was a much better writer than Barrett.

*looks like nobody knows why he has beef with Rafa then :whatever:

Guest Numero Veinticinco
I think for the Echo he was a much better writer than Barrett.

In what way? I thought he was average, at his very best, and Barrett is average at his very worst.

In what way? I thought he was average, at his very best, and Barrett is average at his very worst.

So they are sort of Lucases of their trade? Sorry, I had to add the most idiotic topic to the second most idiotic topic. But the threads are entertaining, in a weird way. And yes, I am a simple man and easily entertained (in a weird way)...

I just enjoyed reading Bascombe's reports a lot more. Of course, hindsight now tells us Houllier and, latterly, Owen were wearing him like a glove but his style was, FOR THE ECHO, largely enjoyable. Also, a minor point but Barrett seemed to try and crowbar too many topical news similes into match reports for my liking.

Still, I'm just made up that Cunt (capitalised) Nick Peet didn't get the Liverpool gig. Not that I read the Echo any more, like.

To be fair to Chris, I very much doubt he had anything to do with that, not the headline at least, and it wouldn't surprise me if the text below was the workings of a sub-ed looking to sensationalise it a little.

That's my take on it too.

Hamstrung, there would be no way on earth I would doubt your word. I've just been out to see a mate and as the better half was topping up the car I nipped into another shop and there was definitely no Keane pic. Are you based down south?

The back page that you've seen IS incredibly snidey and has an air of cockney triumphalism. Chris would have nothing to do with that childish, irritating headline. Do any of you really think Bascombe is such an incredible dickhead that he wouldn't know Torres and Keane had paired up for the Reds on numerous occasions? If you do, then there's little point in wasting your or my time on this any more.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Chris would have nothing to do with that childish, irritating headline.

He almost certainly had nothing to do with the headline. That's not the problem, though.

Do any of you really think Bascombe is such an incredible dickhead that he wouldn't know Torres and Keane had paired up for the Reds on numerous occasions?

Of course not. He knows full well. That's why I wrote this in the fifth post of this thread...

There are only two possible reasons for that comment:

1. He didn't watch any matches when Keane was here.

2. He knows that he is wrong but is so desperate to take a dig at Rafa that he will make things up.

Considering his job is to do the first thing and then report on it, it doesn't leave many options.

Only Chris can tell us if it was his words, or if they were twisted. However, given his record for these sort of things, I'd be shocked if the main article was twisted in such a way.

Sorry, but he would know that saying something SO stupid and SO wrong would destroy whatever slender cred he had with people of your 'persuasion' despite not actually giving a fuck what you think any more.

I think he would still want respect from the fans who aren't so areselicky to Rafa but still expect fairness and accuracy.

One possibility is that he may have used the phrase 'persisted in playing them together' and it got changed by some shit stirring triumphalist-while-it-lasts Spurs cunt, but even then he would know that Torres wasn't fit for a lot of the time Keane was here.

Sorry, but he would know that saying something SO stupid and SO wrong would destroy whatever slender cred he had with people of your 'persuasion' despite not actually giving a fuck what you think any more.

I think he would still want respect from the fans who aren't so areselicky to Rafa but still expect fairness and accuracy.

One possibility is that he may have used the phrase 'persisted in playing them together' and it got changed by some shit stirring triumphalist-while-it-lasts Spurs cunt, but even then he would know that Torres wasn't fit for a lot of the time Keane was here.

That's a joke right?

I doubt any Liverpool supporter be they for or against the manager expects "fairness and accuracy" from anything the NOtW publishes.

Bit arrogant to proclaim all internet fans are appraised of the issues regarding the club compared to people who don't use the internet isn't it?

What about match going fans who don't use the internet?

Bit mental to accuse him of proclaiming something he actually didnt isn't it?

Hmm, you've possibly answered your own question there.

That's a joke right?

I doubt any Liverpool supporter be they for or against the manager expects "fairness and accuracy" from anything the NOtW publishes.

Oh right, "Everyone knows there are two papers you cannot trust"?

Except when the owners are about to fuck you off and you need a little propaganda to keep you in your job, perhaps?

That's my take on it too.

Hamstrung, there would be no way on earth I would doubt your word. I've just been out to see a mate and as the better half was topping up the car I nipped into another shop and there was definitely no Keane pic. Are you based down south?

Fair enough. I am in Halifax. No idea how they split the different versions/editions.

Oh right, "Everyone knows there are two papers you cannot trust"?

Except when the owners are about to fuck you off and you need a little propaganda to keep you in your job, perhaps?

You know I could of swore other papers reported what was happening at the time.

Oh yes Liverpool's fans have only recently began to mistrust the NOtW. Tommy Smith being slaughtered, ridiculed and forced to give his fee to charity in 1992 didn't happen either I suppose.

But if you want to give Rafa the credit for the mass hypnosis of Liverpool supporters regarding the NOtW since November 2007 be my guest.

Lets just see if he can do it to Sky & the FA.

You know I could of swore other papers reported what was happening at the time.

Oh yes Liverpool's fans have only recently began to mistrust the NOtW. Tommy Smith being slaughtered, ridiculed and forced to give his fee to charity in 1992 didn't happen either I suppose.

But if you want to give Rafa the credit for the mass hypnosis of Liverpool supporters regarding the NOtW since November 2007 be my guest.

Lets just see if he can do it to Sky & the FA.

I'm afraid The Anfield Iron was in the Scum, pre Auxerrre, telling everyone that Souness was shit (okay so!) and that there was no way we could come back from 0-2

The deal with the 'Screws' has always been iffy. They're not mentioned at all in the media section of 'No Last Rights' and the families dealt with them for the Justice Concert and subsequent CD. It did cause some consternation at the time of course and may have impacted on the eventual creation of the HJC.

After Owen did business with them the whole Sunday Sun thing was further diluted. The urge to treat it as exactly like the Sun has bizarrely become exagerrated since Bascombe went there. Again, even as someone who considers him a friend, his importance has become bloated beyond reason.

I'm not accusing Rafa of mass hypnosis, I'm saying his own dealings with Chris and NOTW have become, like his dalliances with Hicks, conveniently overlooked for the purpose of rationalisation. And hasn't he spoken personally to McCarthy since Beasleygate?

I'm backing out now because words are wasted. Christ, the one person who knows most about newspapers on this forum has said it probably had nowt to do with Chris and even Der Rattle Laaaaaaa is steering clear of it, so just how far from the reservation have you all strayed?

I'm afraid The Anfield Iron was in the Scum, pre Auxerrre, telling everyone that Souness was shit (okay so!) and that there was no way we could come back from 0-2

The deal with the 'Screws' has always been iffy. They're not mentioned at all in the media section of 'No Last Rights' and the families dealt with them for the Justice Concert and subsequent CD. It did cause some consternation at the time of course and may have impacted on the eventual creation of the HJC.

After Owen did business with them the whole Sunday Sun thing was further diluted. The urge to treat it as exactly like the Sun has bizarrely become exagerrated since Bascombe went there. Again, even as someone who considers him a friend, his importance has become bloated beyond reason.

I'm not accusing Rafa of mass hypnosis, I'm saying his own dealings with Chris and NOTW have become, like his dalliances with Hicks, conveniently overlooked for the purpose of rationalisation. And hasn't he spoken personally to McCarthy since Beasleygate?

I'm backing out now because words are wasted. Christ, the one person who knows most about newspapers on this forum has said it probably had nowt to do with Chris and even Der Rattle Laaaaaaa is steering clear of it, so just how far from the reservation have you all strayed?

Fair comment on the most part, but I'm biased I didn't like him at the Echo and once he left for "there" he could go fuck himself as I was concerned.

But what gets me, he's a backstabber with previous, he did it to Fowler, then Houllier, and his dalliances with Parry and now Gillett are just as worthy of criticism as any of Rafa's.

Also I don't care what he or anyone else says the message to Rafa while he was talking to SOS was a fucking cheap shot.

EDIT: I also stand by my original point no self respecting Liverpool supporter would expect "fairness and accuracy" from anything in the NOtW regardless of who wrote it.

Edited by Dicko

Do you think the fans that expect fairness and accuracy would expect to have to second guess which parts of a ‘Bascombe article’ were written by Bascombe, and which parts were written by somebody else?

Do you think the fans that expect fairness and accuracy would expect to have to second guess which parts of a ‘Bascombe article’ were written by Bascombe, and which parts were written by somebody else?

People say you can't trust a paper and then think the people who work for it are treated with the utmost respect and their 'copy' regarded as sacrosanct.

Like having different text for different parts of the country. They're shifty bastards, period.

So Chris B has artistic licence over headlines now as well??? Riiigggghht.

John he took the package he knew the score. He works for a shit newspaper and he reaps what he sows.

I have no great thoughts on the fella as without actually knowing him, it would be wrong to do so but he is putting his name to some shit at the moment and as I said above he knew the job and what it entailed.