You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

cestrianred

7 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

He's not asking Chelsea to repay it as it will be recovered from the sale.

The sale money will go to Abramovich which means the club will still be in hock for £1.5bn. Cant see new owners paying old Roman £2bn-£3bn when the club's still carrying a £1.5bn debt myself.

12 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

They should ask every Newcastle manager and player how they feel working for the man who murders and dismembers people if they have opinions he doesn't like every single time they interview them. Sportwashing might not seem like the correct path to take.

I have no problem with this.

Those at the top of the game are only interested in advancing themselves and their friends, while turning a blind eye to the origins of wealth, and this is the result

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, Karl_b said:

And Tuchel took the job knowing that. He knew he was being employed by a sports-washing regime, that's on him.

He's made his bed and, guess what, it's bed time.

He had no problem working for Qatar's primary sportswashing project either.

Fuck him and his charitable donations.

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

The sale money will go to Abramovich which means the club will still be in hock for £1.5bn. Cant see new owners paying old Roman £2bn-£3bn when the club's still carrying a £1.5bn debt myself.

At worse he breaks even on the deal and, more importantly, probably avoids sanctions.

In reality if he sells for 2 Billion he can 'right off' a debt he was never likely to call in, get's 1.64 billion pound back and pays a 360 million sweetener to  various charities (probably dodging a bit of tax in the process).

The real value is in taking the heat off himself as an owner of a high profile club an high tailing it with his wealth to a country more accommodating.

1 minute ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

Fuck me, it didn't take Abramovich very long to absolutely shit his kecks over his UK assets.  That's some unceremonious ending to a regime that has been defended by some media shills, who I hope are squirming tonight. 

He's far from safe yet. Could take ages for any sale to go through . Doing due diligence on Chelsea would be as exciting as it gets for an accountant.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

Fuck me, it didn't take Abramovich very long to absolutely shit his kecks over his UK assets.  That's some unceremonious ending to a regime that has been defended by some media shills, who I hope are squirming tonight. 

You’ve only got to look at how many of them have been quick to park their yachts in the Maldives last week. Unluckyily for Uzzy, his was stuck in a shipyard in Germany.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Karl_b said:

And Tuchel took the job knowing that. He knew he was being employed by a sports-washing regime, that's on him.

He's made his bed and, guess what, it's bed time.

Well thats me mother fucking told then.......

I could say that about your employer, you could say that about mine. Are they a reflection on you or I ?

We know what that answer is. 

2 hours ago, House of Dirk said:

Well thats me mother fucking told then.......

I could say that about your employer, you could say that about mine. Are they a reflection on you or I ?

We know what that answer is. 

Great whataboutery but yes, they are a reflection. Of course they are, we make decisions in our lives and have to take some personal responsibility for them.

1 hour ago, Karl_b said:

Great whataboutery but yes, they are a reflection. Of course they are, we make decisions in our lives and have to take some personal responsibility for them.

Its not even whataboutery. Not even close. And your answer is wrong, with respect.

I worked within the British banking system for 12 years or so. I was made redundant after the credit crunch although it was a convenient way out. Lots of things came out in the wash of shady practices, happening many levels way above my head, but my working for the them doesnt define me. Nor does the subsequent decade, where if you break down, I am a worker for the government, once you strip away the layers. Again that doesnt define me.

I am sure Tuchel isnt an idiot. He knows what he has got himself into and has experience of a similar thing with PSG. But is there a case of a manager turning down a role at these clubs because of iffy principles or validity over the regime in charge ? Not on, actually, I retract that as a live edit as  we have seen managers and coaches in the Russian league leave teams this week, including Andriy Voronin.

We have seen Tuchel speak out this week, Rafa was at Chelsea and we know first hand of his principles as a manager and a man. It stuck in the craw for many of us that he went there, of course, but we know first hand his measure as what he did for us and as a man.

There is always going to be a degree of soul selling and the price generally isnt too high, and some way or another, we are all caught up in it, knowingly or otherwise.

It's the second time Tuchel takes a job with a particular ownership context and it's the second time he's now complaining about having to answer for it. Personal responsibility doesn't exist, you have to stop asking the poor man questions, it's not fair. Wah wah.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, House of Dirk said:

Its not even whataboutery. Not even close. And your answer is wrong, with respect.

I worked within the British banking system for 12 years or so. I was made redundant after the credit crunch although it was a convenient way out. Lots of things came out in the wash of shady practices, happening many levels way above my head, but my working for the them doesnt define me. Nor does the subsequent decade, where if you break down, I am a worker for the government, once you strip away the layers. Again that doesnt define me.

I am sure Tuchel isnt an idiot. He knows what he has got himself into and has experience of a similar thing with PSG. But is there a case of a manager turning down a role at these clubs because of iffy principles or validity over the regime in charge ? Not on, actually, I retract that as a live edit as  we have seen managers and coaches in the Russian league leave teams this week, including Andriy Voronin.

We have seen Tuchel speak out this week, Rafa was at Chelsea and we know first hand of his principles as a manager and a man. It stuck in the craw for many of us that he went there, of course, but we know first hand his measure as what he did for us and as a man.

There is always going to be a degree of soul selling and the price generally isnt too high, and some way or another, we are all caught up in it, knowingly or otherwise.

I understand your perspective and appreciate the considered reply, I just fundamentally disagree. You cannot entirely absolve yourself of responsibility for decisions you make in your life. You may make decisions without full knowledge or you may make decisions knowing entirely what's going on, but it's still your choice.

I also think there's a huge difference between between your situation, where unknown to you there were shady goings on, and Tuchel and Abramovich's. I think it was fairly widely known how Abramovich made his billions and there's been plenty out there in the last two decades about him and the sports-washing going on with Chelsea. There was vehement opposition when he took over, genuine concerns about the character of the man and they've come to the fore. We're also not talking about 'the man on the street' here that needs a job to put a roof over their head, to feed their family. We're talking about a multi-millionaire, at the top of his field, that doesn't need the money and could wait for another job. Let's also not forget he worked for PSG, what's your thoughts on them as a club (or Man City, or Newcastle)? Genuine question, not being facetious.

Is Tuchel directly responsible? No. Does he deserve to be absolved of questioning? No.

• Upvote 4

The guy's a football manager. He got the opportunity to manage two of the biggest teams in the world after being sacked in his previous job. What's he going to do? "nah, you're alright mate. I'll sit this one out." Come on, get real.

Daily Mash

Chelsea FC advertised for sale in Bastards & Despots Quarterly

chelsea-football-club-stamford-bridge-2.

CHELSEA FC has been put up for sale in exclusive billionaires’ publication Bastards & Despots Quarterly, it has been confirmed.

The football club is being advertised to the publication’s discerning readership of dictators, drug barons and human rights violators by Roman Abramovich, who has marked it as ‘reluctant sale forced by change in political climate’.

The advert reads: “Leading London football club, current European and World champions, ideal screen for wide variety of nefarious activities.

“Would suit Middle Eastern oil producer running highly repressive regime, African tyrant looking to move into London property market, Jeff Bezos or the Chinese government.

“The current owner enjoyed the great benefit of no questions being asked about the provenance of his funds or the full extent of his bastardry for 19 years after spending his loose change on players, and would like to pass this to others.

“A perfect purchase for a Mexican cocaine lord looking to go legit, an Asian autocrat chasing positive publicity, or anyone keen to wash the blood from the billions they made from worker exploitation. Sorry, no Mike Ashley.”

The publication also carried advertisements from Abramovich for a Kensington mansion, a Thames waterfront penthouse, assorted shell companies, and eight backbench Tory MPs.

21 hours ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

They should ask every Newcastle manager and player how they feel working for the man who murders and dismembers people if they have opinions he doesn't like every single time they interview them. Sportwashing might not seem like the correct path to take.

Spot on. And not least, they should interview Richard Masters on the same subject

28 minutes ago, Boss said:

The guy's a football manager. He got the opportunity to manage two of the biggest teams in the world after being sacked in his previous job. What's he going to do? "nah, you're alright mate. I'll sit this one out." Come on, get real.

Fair points, but it’s not quite that simple is it. Exactly where and when does it stop being ok to receive your wages from an employer? Would it be ok to work for Bin Laden as long as you only did his garden? I just love flowers me, he’s got the nicest of gardens and salaries are good!

I dont think there are any simple answers here, at least if there is they should’ve been dealt with by the top management of the PL. 

39 minutes ago, Boss said:

Yes, he could do that. Tuchel could get most jobs in the world but he's decided to take PSG and Chelsea jobs, then gets mad because he has to answer questions about their situations.

He specifically said at PSG he got annoyed because he had to be quote a "sports politician or a sports ambassador". So what does he do right after? Takes a job with a similar moral ownership quandry. You can't make this stuff up. He's simply a doofus.

• Upvote 1