You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He touched Gerrards headed ball extremely lightly.

You all know my opinion on Kuyt, but while his overall performances have generally been dire this season, you can't argue with a man who's scoring better than 1 in 2. There's no way he could or should be left out while he's scoring.

I thought Babel did have an impact yesterday, and caused the Hammers defence to panic more than they had previously. As most people have said on here, he actually tried to impose himself on the game yesterday, even when he didn't have the ball. It's not difficult to win the fans over - just look like you're trying, and make a positive contribution. He did both yesterday.

You might not rate him but taking goals away from him is not on. It was his goal.

It's like the headline writers who put every Liverpool win down to the players "rescuing" Benitez.

If Babel turns the corner and even keeps just making an impact from the bench , then it will be like having a new signing, because his contributions all last year were dire / non exsistent. I think theres definately a change in body language the last few games - for the positive, he looks half arsed.

RE the Kuyt goal, who's to know if the headed ball from Gerrard might have hit the upright. Dirk definitely deflected it for a goal, ie it's his goal. His. So funny to think that for a long stretch in the league that toe-poke would have even found a way to miss, but in the CL, he had golden boots.

I love the ugly Dutch bastard!

Use Babel as a sub and play him up front in the early cup ties and see how he goes. By running at the opposing LB he doesn't need super ball control because an advancing opponent usually means a bit of space behind, giving him room to flick the ball past and burst through with his power and pace, both of which he has plenty of. And playing on the right means he can cross with his stronger foot. And seriously, people having a go at his cross from Saturday is a joke. He put the ball into a dangerous area and a goal came from it. He can't do much more other than scoring a goal himself, which I am hoping we will also see plenty of this season.

BABEL: I WILL FIGHT FOR MY PLACE

Steve Hunter 21 September 2009

Ryan Babel today insisted he is happy at Liverpool and intends to stay and fight for his place in Rafa's starting line-up.

The Dutch international made a big impact at West Ham on Saturday when he came off the bench to set-up Fernando Torres' winner.

"It was great to be out there and I'm really pleased I was able to help us get a crucial three points," said the Reds No.19.

"Before I came on the manager said I needed to bring some energy to the game and that I needed to run at them.

"I enjoyed it and that will give me some confidence. Now I hope to carry on like this.

"If I keep working hard then hopefully I can get some more minutes and in the end get a place back in the starting line-up.

"It was an exciting game and we're just glad to come out on top.

"The two goals we conceded came from mistakes by us. We need to improve but we were the better team and in the end I think we deserved the win.

"Fernando's first goal was amazing and he's a very special player.

"Hopefully he will stay fit because he's going to be really important for us this season."

Babel has also spoken of his disappointment after comments saying he was unhappy with life at Anfield and wanted a move back to Holland appeared in the press recently.

"I didn't say any of those things," he said. "I did an interview in Holland and I don't know who in England got hold of it but it was the worst translation I have ever seen.

"The fact is I'm very happy here and I don't want to leave to go anywhere.

"Yes, there is a lot of competition for places at Liverpool but that's the same at every top club.

"It was like that when I was at Ajax and that isn't a problem for me. I didn't accuse the manager of anything.

"I heard about what was being reported when I was away with Holland.

"When I got back to Liverpool I went straight to the manager and told him it wasn't true.

"He accepted that and there is no problem. Now I just want to concentrate on playing."