You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Fiorentina Away

Trucker Paddy

The manager can't be blamed for poor communication when, for instance, Insua goes 2 yards further back than the other 3 of the back 4 and therefore allows Jovavic (?) a free run on goal.

Or when simple control of a ball is too much for one of our players and the ball runs away to the opposition and they start another attack, as happened too many times.

Similarly, when a player gets a free header 6 yards out and puts the ball over.

Benitez can't do much about that during a game, and no doubt he'll let the players know about it after.

It was a bad performance tonight, we have them occasionally, the real test is how well and quickly we get over it and Chelsea on Sunday would be a good start.

• Replies 692
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Think I'll leave it, it's all getting a bit Rawk in here for my taste;they'll be trotting out " game intelligence" in the next few posts. I can't actually believe anyone who's ever seen Steven Gerrard play, he's the best player in the world for god sake, doesn't think he's a better option than Aurelio or Lucas( or even Mascherano).

There's two possibilities:

1) He does actually believe that and thus knows little about football.

2) He doesn't believe it and is being contrary, because he loves being contrary.

Either option is equally possible.

I'm just watching the game now, they just scored the second so I looked at the final score to see if it was worth watching the rest and it was not.

We always have a shit away performance like this in Europe, it's like we came to play a slow tempo game and they came to play fast paced and left us in their tracks.

They attacked in numbers and defended in numbers, it was like they had an extra man and they just wanted it more.

It's half time now and I'm going back to bed.

The manager can't be blamed for poor communication when, for instance, Insua goes 2 yards further back than the other 3 of the back 4 and therefore allows Jovavic (?) a free run on goal.Or when simple control of a ball is too much for one of our players and the ball runs away to the opposition and they start another attack, as happened too many times.

Similarly, when a player gets a free header 6 yards out and puts the ball over.

Benitez can't do much about that during a game, and no doubt he'll let the players know about it after.

It was a bad performance tonight, we have them occasionally, the real test is how well and quickly we get over it and Chelsea on Sunday would be a good start.

I agree that a manager can't do anything about those things. How can a manager be praised for his tactics then, when a player scores from 30 yards?!

I'm just playing devils advocate there, mate!

As for the bit in bold, I agree with the general point, however the manner in which they walked through centre midfield to get to that point was the biggest worry for me, and it was down to poor selection, IMO.

Benitez bows to Fiorentina

Tuesday 29 September, 2009

Rafa Benitez admits Liverpool were comfortably beaten in Florence. “We weren’t the best team in any part of the pitch.”

The Reds were thumped 2-0 by Fiorentina in a surprise Champions League result at the Stadio Franchi this evening.

“Everything was wrong in the first half. We were watching the game, they were attacking, we were giving the ball away,” said the Coach.

“The second half you could see three chances in the first minutes. The difference in football is if you take your chances like they did in the first half, you are winning and it’s more difficult for the other team.”

Stevan Jovetic was the dominant figure with a brace and, although Liverpool attacked more in the second half, Fiorentina held on for the victory.

“We were disappointed, everyone was. You can’t play like that at this level, or the opposition will score,” continued Benitez on Sky.

“We knew Fiorentina were a good team, very organised on the counter-attack, but we were giving the ball away all the time and giving us the chance to run at our defenders.

“We weren’t the best team in any part of the pitch. If we had scored in the first minute of the second half, it could’ve been a totally different game, but you have to take your chances.”

Lyon are now screaming away at the top of the group with six points after their 4-0 demolition of Debrecen.

“The Champions League is always difficult. We try to win at home and wait and see what happens. It’s a much better position than we were in two years ago!”

Football Italia - the Italian football website for English-speaking football fans

There's two possibilities:

1) He does actually believe that and thus knows little about football.

2) He doesn't believe it and is being contrary, because he loves being contrary.

Either option is equally possible.

There's actually a 3rd option, but you'd never ever be able to work it out.

How many games has Aurelio played in central midfield for us? Two? To play him there with Lucas then Rafa only has himself to blame for tonight really.

The manager trying to be clever for the sake of it yet again. The team was below par tonight but the manager must take some criticism as well with that ridiculous midfield line up in particular.

Skrtel is a liability. Has been all season and is getting away with it game after game while Carragher is being castigated for some of his performances which are still far better than the level of performances Skrtel is giving us at present.

The sooner Agger comes back with Carragher alongside him the better. Listening to phone-in after the game hearing Carragher getting stick while Skrtel who was doing his usual give free-kicks away in dangerous positions gets an easy ride.

You're seriously getting confused with his strengths and priorities. His job is to make lung bursting runs and get forward. When specifically given the job of holding and running games, he's done it lots of times. It's a myth to suggest that he hasn't.

Just because he's an unbelievable attacking force, doesn't mean he can't do those other things. He's wasted doing them, but when the alternative is Fabio Aurelio, you have to be clever and make the decision.

Brownie, there are none so blind as those who cannot see.

Think I'll leave it, it's all getting a bit Rawk in here for my taste;they'll be trotting out " game intelligence" in the next few posts. I can't actually believe anyone who's ever seen Steven Gerrard play, he's the best player in the world for god sake, doesn't think he's a better option than Aurelio or Lucas( or even Mascherano).

I like Lucas as much as the next lad but Gerrard is infinitely better than him in every way. Claiming otherwise is ludicrous.

In all honesty we didn't need to win the game and both us and the players new that. That is what's wrong with the group stage of the Champions League. We will still qualify no problem...

Need Mascherano back for Sunday. Aurelio back in at left back with Insua dropping to the bench. I've always been hs biggest fan but he's not ready to play against Chelsea and Aurelio must start there.

Lucas was very poor today I thought. I'm normally defending him but he just seemed to offer nothing going forward or defending. I'd be tempted to drop him for the Chelsea game as well with Gerrard back in the centre and three of Reira, Benayoun, Kuyt and Babel behind Torres.

I do have to agree with John there in the sense that Skrtel is infuriating with his naivety in the challenge. I find myself constantly shouting at the TV for him to 'jockey'. He's far too rash in trying to win the ball back.

He gets away with it at times in the league games, but in the CL he's penalised more often than not.

It irritates the fuck out of me.

In all honesty we didn't need to win the game and both us and the players new that. That is what's wrong with the group stage of the Champions League. We will still qualify no problem...

Need Mascherano back for Sunday. Aurelio back in at left back with Insua dropping to the bench. I've always been hs biggest fan but he's not ready to play against Chelsea and Aurelio must start there.

Lucas was very poor today I thought. I'm normally defending him but he just seemed to offer nothing going forward or defending. I'd be tempted to drop him for the Chelsea game as well with Gerrard back in the centre and three of Reira, Benayoun, Kuyt and Babel behind Torres.

I totally agree with the first bit. The current format of the CL leads to complacency from the top teams, at times, because they're fully aware that they can afford to lose some games.

How many games has Aurelio played in central midfield for us? Two? To play him there with Lucas then Rafa only has himself to blame for tonight really.

The manager trying to be clever for the sake of it yet again. The team was below par tonight but the manager must take some criticism as well with that ridiculous midfield line up in particular.

Skrtel is a liability. Has been all season and is getting away with it game after game while Carragher is being castigated for some of his performances which are still far better than the level of performances Skrtel is giving us at present.

The sooner Agger comes back with Carragher alongside him the better. Listening to phone-in after the game hearing Carragher getting stick while Skrtel who was doing his usual give free-kicks away in dangerous positions gets an easy ride.

Could not agree more about Skrtel, its really worrying, but also a bit expected as I`ve never bought into the hype surrounding him.

It needs to be sorted and it needs to be sorted fast.

What boiled my piss the most was the total lack of commitment 1st half. Where was the work rate, closing down and tackling, i watched us back of them time and time again.

Granted the ref was really poor but our players looked like they had seen the fiorentina game at the weekend it it was going to be a stroll. I'm worried now as they look like a really competent passing/attacking and defensive unit. i for one cant wait for agger to get fit.