You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Does it? Really?

That somebody who has gone to university - presumably not for advance bumwipery - doesn't want to spend a couple of years being a bum wiper? I'd say that's pretty reasonable, to be honest. I mean, if we're training people to become lawyers, it's not particularly in the nations best interests for them to be arse wipers or shop assistants.

I know a few, old school, they say kids who've been to Uni don't want to wipe arses for a few years .

I'm quite curious about how that works, with the way things are split on wards nowadays.

The bum-wiping, bed-bathing, 'obs' taking, fetching, carrying, bed-making, pressure sore checking, etc etc is by and large done by Auxilliary Nurses now, and you don't have to go to Uni to be one of those, as a friend of mine recently became one with no previous experience or study, having worked in IT for many years.

The typical Uni nursing qualification so far as I am aware affords Staff Nurse status, and that role has been at the centre of press coverage in recent years due to the infamous "Do not disturb, on drug round" signs they have on their trolley during various times of the day, which has often been mischaracterised as an individual being aloof or uncaring. 

The intention from above is evidently for them to be focused chiefly on the giving of medication and not to be taken away from it other than in emergencies, so while it's obviously not all they do, the stuff in my first paragraph is rarely if ever part of their remit that it would discourage someone from studying nursing directly.

That somebody who has gone to university - presumably not for advance bumwipery - doesn't want to spend a couple of years being a bum wiper? I'd say that's pretty reasonable, to be honest. I mean, if we're training people to become lawyers, it's not particularly in the nations best interests for them to be arse wipers or shop assistants.

I think when you start a new job, you literally start at the bottom. Who'd have thought you'd be elitist?

I'm quite curious about how that works, with the way things are split on wards nowadays.

The bum-wiping, bed-bathing, 'obs' taking, fetching, carrying, bed-making, pressure sore checking, etc etc is by and large done by Auxilliary Nurses now, and you don't have to go to Uni to be one of those, as a friend of mine recently became one with no previous experience or study, having worked in IT for many years.

The typical Uni nursing qualification so far as I am aware affords Staff Nurse status, and that role has been at the centre of press coverage in recent years due to the infamous "Do not disturb, on drug round" signs they have on their trolley during various times of the day, which has often been mischaracterised as an individual being aloof or uncaring. 

The intention from above is evidently for them to be focused chiefly on the giving of medication and not to be taken away from it other than in emergencies, so while it's obviously not all they do, the stuff in my first paragraph is rarely if ever part of their remit that it would discourage someone from studying nursing directly.

Just passing on what Ive been told. The young ones don't want to get their hands dirty.

Cut aid to foreign freaks and deny man-made climate change.  It's the true British way!

http://www.salisburyjournal.co.uk/news/12913841._/?

SALISBURY'S Ukip parliamentary candidate described Russian, Indian and Chinese people as "freaks" in an attack on foreign aid at the Bishop Wordsworth's School hustings on Friday night.

Paul Martin made the comments during a heated debate on international development in which he said his party would slash the department's spending from £9 billion to £2 billion.

He told the other candidates: “During the time of Conservative-led party process, over the last five years, the debt has grown from £800 billion to £1.5 trillion and you are telling me, you egotistical maniacs, that you need to give money to freaks in Russia, China, India...”

Liberal Democrat Reeten Banerji said he didn’t see his “international brothers as freaks” and that for every £1 spent on international aid, a further £9 of trade was generated in the economy.

Conservative John Glen declared it “absolutely right” that the government should spend 0.7 per cent of GDP on international development — Labour's Tom Corbin agreed.

Green candidate Alison Craig said: “We firmly believe that foreign aid should increased to one per cent of GDP. We are the sixth richest country in the world for heaven's sake and if we can’t afford to help developing countries then we really should be ashamed.”

Independent candidate King Arthur Pendragon said he did not understand why the government was giving foreign aid to countries that had space and nuclear weapons programmes.

He added: “Before we give any money away, we should bring our own people out of fuel poverty.”

The school hustings mainly focussed on national and international issues, with the hopefuls fielding questions on tuition fees, Trident, climate change and the voting system.

The candidates also disagreed on rise of foodbanks after Salisbury charity The Trussell Trust reported their usage had increased by 19 per cent last year.

Mr Banerji challenging the Conservative record on the issue.

He said: “Foodbanks came into place because of Iain Duncan Smith [former Conservative minister] and the attack on the poor and the vulnerable.

“We need to be dealing with the real issues, which is to pay the living wage.”

John Glen said he had produced a report with opposition MP Frank Field which included 77 recommendations for tackling foodbank usage.

He said: “It is quite well documented that foodbanks were up and running well before we [the Conservatives] came to power.

“If you think it is all about delayed benefit payments then you must look at the figures more closely, there are a whole number of other reason cited by those who use foodbanks.

“Over the last ten years, the proportion of income that the poorest ten per cent have had to spend on food, on housing and clothing has increased. We have seen foodbanks explode in use the the US, France and Germany.”

Mr Corbin blamed the rise of foodbanks on zero-hours contracts and the low minimum wage.

Mr Martin also drew a challenge from the crowd over the Ukip manifesto pledge to abolish the Department of Energy and Climate Change and repeal the Climate Change Act.

The Ukip candidate said: “In Roman times the temperatures were three degrees higher than it is now so don’t tell me this is all about human relationships with the environment, it is much more complex than that.”

I think a lot of people that are voting UKIP have no idea just how few seats they're going to win. Some genuinely think they're going to "win" the election, that Farage will be prime minister. It's going to be quite confusing for a day or two, then obviously they'll forget all about politics for another four and a half years.

• Upvote 3

Just passing on what Ive been told. The young ones don't want to get their hands dirty.

Well what you have been told is shite.

My sister finished at uni last year and is a nurse. Its a thankless job these days with middle class bellends whinging to the press if they are not seen in 10 minutes.

My sister finished at uni last year and is a nurse. Its a thankless job these days with middle class bellends whinging to the press if they are not seen in 10 minutes.

Ha ha ha ha, where is she a nurse to have these middle class patients? Clown.

I was passing in what a few friends said, they work in an NHS hospital, a pretty big one and have been in the job 20 odd yrs. but your newly qualified sister obviously knows best.

Well seeing as she has is one of these new nurses tgat according to you doesn't want to get there hands dirty im pretty sure she would have good fucking idea what they are willing to do.

Yeah new newly qualified sister who has been working in one of the top Neurosurgery wards in a NHS hospital for neatly in London obviously doesn't have a fucking clue. Prick

Well seeing as she has is one of these new nurses tgat according to you doesn't want to get there hands dirty im pretty sure she would have good fucking idea what they are willing to do. Yeah new newly qualified sister who has been working in one of the top Neurosurgery wards in a NHS hospital for neatly in London obviously doesn't have a fucking clue. Prick

Ha ha

Well seeing as she has is one of these new nurses tgat according to you doesn't want to get there hands dirty im pretty sure she would have good fucking idea what they are willing to do. Yeah new newly qualified sister who has been working in one of the top Neurosurgery wards in a NHS hospital for neatly in London obviously doesn't have a fucking clue. Prick

Not according to me, I've no fucking clue what happens in a hospital, as I've said twice its mates who've been nursing for over 20 yrs and seen the shift from on the job training to degree qualified nursing.

I do think they should have stayed with on job training. But i get pissed off with people lumping all the new nurses into the same basket.

The nurses work long hours in a hard bloody job that most of those that complain about them couldn't do. The hospital has been fantastic with me in the dealings i have had with them with my hip and gallbladder issue over the past 5/6 years.

• Upvote 1

Does it? Really?

Sorry, but you are talking absolute rubbish. Students in this country do want to become nurses. The latest Royal College of Nursing figures show 100,000 applying for 20,000 places.

Nurses courses are over subscribed by 5-1. So much for the old lazy, feckless kids argument.

They actually just whinge to everybody and its usually pensioners with minor ailments rather than the seriously ill ones.

Hard to fault NHS staff,other than in situations over which they have little control.

Sorry, but you are talking absolute rubbish. Students in this country do want to become nurses. The latest Royal College of Nursing figures show 100,000 applying for 20,000 places.

Nurses courses are over subscribed by 5-1. So much for the old lazy, feckless kids argument.

Are you seeing things? I didn't say kids didn't want to be nurses, I said MY MATES WHO ARE NURSES have a view, I don't have a view because I've no experience in the matter.

Sorry the number of students chasing a career in nursing went down last year. It's now approx 50,000 for 20,000 training places.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/30000-nursing-applications-rejected-last-5504075

The point still stands that to suggest we havnt got enough young people who can be bothered to make a career in nursing is a falsehood.

I think a lot of people that are voting UKIP have no idea just how few seats they're going to win. Some genuinely think they're going to "win" the election, that Farage will be prime minister. It's going to be quite confusing for a day or two, then obviously they'll forget all about politics for another four and a half years.

UKIP voters being lost and confused.

Plus ca change...