You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

It has something to do with it, just not everything. If they weren't there to pick up the slack, undercutting the price if labour, there'd be no choice but to pay. It's business owners trying to make more money by exploiting the immigrant workers. The entire thing sucks.

Regardless of whether they're immigrant workers or not, if a business owner really wants to get night shifts on the same pay as day shifts, he/she will find a way of doing that. Whether the short-term is paying the £12ph and investing time in finding folks (immigrants or not) who would prefer night shifts before making the transition then that's what they will do. Like I said, it's more management than it is workers - their background doesn't come into it. 

The issue is you're in a race to the bottom and from being a freelancer; it's a complete fools game because someone will always undercut you and work for less. If the job your doing requires little or a little bit of training - the quality of your graft will be thrown out the window. 

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Like I said, it's more management than it is workers

To be fair, that wasn't what you said. I agree that it has more to do with the way the business is run, but it shouldn't be ignored that when there us a pool of non-unionised workers, willing to undercut the market, it makes it easier for the owners to do it. In this case, it is made worse by having workers from a country where they are paid much less. That's why I said it has something to do with it.

I totally agree that it's a race to the bottom. A union between countries should raise living standards and wages.

To be fair, that wasn't what you said.

Often, the best businesses are transparent with clear communication between employer and employee. 

The issue here seems that by simply removing the additional pay without (from what appears) clear communication of why this is happening and then employing folk who have no problem with the standard pay has created a bitter relationship. It's just bad management and has nothing to do with immigrant workers. 

I said it was management in my initial post? 

Agree with the union/raising living standards point, 100%.  

Guest Numero Veinticinco

It's more management is different from it's just management. I'm not being pedantic for no reason, just explaining why I made the point about it having something to do with the immigrant work force. Your first comment left no room for that, the second does.

• Upvote 1

I have lived in 5 different country’s and wherever people live they always complain about “immigrants”.  I lived in Holland they complain about Moroccan’s, Germany the Turkish, Italy the Albanians, Bahamas the Haitians and Jamaicans and England, everyone.  

I saw a pretty shit article the other day, the South Africans took it to the next stage after they felt the Somalia’s/Ethiopian’s took their jobs and the usual spiel about “outsiders”.   

http://www.channel4.com/news/durban-south-africa-xenophobic-race-riot-migrants

The whole issue of migration is purely an economic debate and that government’s around the world have allowed the debate to be misrepresented is a real sham.

None of the parties have the answer as they can't tell you we want lower wages or we artificially created this over such a long period.

Wages across Europe for certain occupations have been driven down over the past few decades in real terms especially when you strip out gender differences (women have made the figures look a lot better) .

I have a basic understanding of Economics but I assume lower wages, mean lower production costs for business. Although this seems a false economy as various states then have to subsides people on low incomes as wages are so low. 

So I am guessing a person working 25-30 hours a week in 1984 would not qualify for any state support but as wages have fallen the state has taken up the slack.

It is all messed up, my advice to anyone fed up of England.

There are a shitload of opportunities all around Europe to tap into. In most cases your passport will allow you to tap into the so called benefit the hardworking people travelling are getting. Most underestimate the advantages of a British passport when it comes to movement that and EU LAW.

One example, my two younger sisters are studying in Holland. 1500 euros to do an undergraduate degree per year or something and as they work part-time they get a solid grant and free travel around Holland. They saved around 25k each plus per course they reckon. 

Quite a few similar job options if you are skilled and learn a language in Europe.

Get your kids to learn a couple of other languages, otherwise a lot of people will get left behind I reckon.

Farage is a rich banker trying to pull a man of the people act.

However immigration is an issue amongst many lower paid workers because immigration effects the wages of lower paid, self employed workers whilst higher paid workers benefit from immigration.

http://www.migrationobservatory.ox.ac.uk/briefings/labour-market-effects-immigration

Immigration is in general good for the country as a whole but it does give bosses and government a greater worker pool which boosts profits and saves them the bother and cost of training local youngsters,

Dr Peter Carter, Head of the Royal College of nursing

http://www.itv.com/news/story/2014-06-16/agency-nurses-staff-shortage-nhs/

Tommy has made me feel guilty about my own daily life over here in the Netherlands. From now on I will only speak Dutch with my English friends. I am also going to start wearing wooden shoes and will change my diet to one based on rubber cheese and chocolate sprinkles. Ik ben niet normaal!

don't forget the chocomel.

hahahahha Pooface negged me for asking him questions.

And Arthur for his post.  And yet...

The thing you have to understand about UKIP policies is that the laws that they would introduce to take us out of Europe and prevent foreigners coming to the UK would also prevent you going to Europe and the rest of the world.

Think North Korea,

say no to fascism

A road to Damascus-style conversion, passing Bernard Righton going in the opposite direction. 

Polish singletons must be the biggest arseholes known to man and/or have stolen Tommy's passport.

• Upvote 1

And Arthur for his post.  And yet...

A road to Damascus-style conversion, passing Bernard Righton going in the opposite direction. 

Polish singletons must be the biggest arseholes known to man and/or have stolen Tommy's passport.

That's democracy in action mate, he's used his vote wisely.

He can't have a passport though as he doesn't like the idea of people crossing borders.

Where do yo go on holiday Tom, Skegness or Blackpool? And do you have anything against those who have migrated south looking for work in the big smoke driving down employment opportunities for the button festooned folk of Das kapital? Is it wrong for a northern knobhead from bootle to train it down to garston for a job at the match works taking jobs off the poor folk of Speke?

• Upvote 1

Most aren't eligible to vote and if they are going to be allowed a vote then they should vote for the pro Polish party not the Green Party. It is also true that I can have a vote to represent me. People seem to imply that Polish are all lovely innocent people. The truth is from my experience is that very few of them are decent people the majority are a gang of arse holes who have more in common with eastern block football hooligans than the hard working immigrants looking to improve their lives impression people have of them. The truth is most are only here for a few years if that, they hate the country and generally seem to dislike the people who live here hence why they seem to enjoy so much forming cliques and not integrating into society.

So.... the Poles are twats because they don't integrate.

When they integrate to the extent of joining a British political party and standing for election, well, obviously that's too much integration.  The twats.

They're too cliquey.  They should stick to their own party.

Bizarre.

• Upvote 1

Damn Poles stole our pilots jobs in WW2 aswell.

Polish Pilots in the Battle of Britain

After the swift and successful invasion of Poland on September 1st 1939, many young Polish Air Force fighters made their way to Britain. The Luftwaffe had full control of the skies over Poland. Any attempt to fight the Nazis in the air over Poland would have been futile. However, rapidly modernising French and British air forces were an attractive alternate from doing nothing, especially as the RAF had been equipped with the ultra-modernSpitfire and Hurricane. Many made their way from Poland via Romania to France where they fought in the Battle of France and then to Britain.

In total 139 Poles fought in the Battle of Britain and they gained a reputation for aggressive aerial combat.

At the start of the Battle of Britain, Polish airmen were distributed among already established fighter squadrons in Fighter Command. However, on July 13th, 1940, they were given their own – 302 (City of Poznań) Squadron. It was equipped with Hurricanes and became operational towards the end of the battle. 302 Squadron was overshadowed by the highly successful 303 Squadron.

303 (Kosciuśzko) Squadron was based in Northolt. 303 was formed on August 2nd and was first blooded on August 30th when during a training flight it came upon German aircraft that had penetrated into 11 Group’s forward defences. The squadron leader, Ronald Kellett, failed to respond to a Hurricane pilot, Flying Officer Ludik Paszkiewicz, who asked permission to attack a Dornier. Despite this lack of permission, Paszkiewicz attacked and brought down the Dornier. The intelligence report made for this attack referred to ‘Green 1’ (Paszkiewicz) as closing to 100 yards before eventually closing to “point blank range” and destroying the aircraft. Paszkiewicz was given a public dressing down in front of other Polish pilots by Squadron Leader Kellett for leaving the formation without permission. After this Kellett privately congratulated him and announced that the squadron was now fully operational.  

Despite arriving ‘late’ to the Battle of Britain, 303 Squadron became a highly successful unit. It destroyed more Luftwaffe aircraft than any other Hurricane equipped squadron and by the time the battle had finished, 303 had the fourth highest tally of all squadrons.

By the time the Battle of Britain had ended, the Poles had shot down around 20% of all Luftwaffe aircraft. “The experience of seeing their homeland at the mercy of the Germans had hardened the Poles and they were regarded by fellow pilots as more than usually concentrated and aggressive.” (Patrick Bishop)  

One Polish pilot – Witold Urbanowicz – was one of just a few Battle of Britain pilots credited as a ‘Triple Ace’ – with 15 ‘kills’ to his name.

Polish pilots in the Battle of Britain:

Sgt. T Andruszkow 

F/Lt. W Baranski 

Sgt. A Beda 

Sgt. M Belc 

P/O B Bernas 

F/O J Borowski 

F/Lt. S Brzezina 

Sgt. M Brzezowski 

Sgt. J Budzinski 

F/O A Cebrzynski 

P/O S J Chalupa 

P/O M Chelmecki 

F/Lt. T Chlopik 

P/O F Czajkowski 

P/O J M Czerniak 

F/Lt. J T Czerney 

P/O T Czerwinski 

P/O S Czternastek 

P/O J K M Daszewski 

Sgt. M B Domagala 

P/O B H Drobinski 

F/O M Duryasz 

Sgt. S Duszynski 

F/O J Falkowski 

P/O M Feric

F/Lt. J Frey

F/O A K Gabszewicz 

Sgt. P P Gallus 

P/O J Gil

Sgt. A Glowacki 

P/O W J Glowacki 

Sgt. F Gmur 

P/O W Gnys 

P/O M Gorzula 

F/O B Groszewski 

F/O F Gruszka 

F/O B Grzeszczak 

F/Lt. Z K Henneberg 

P/O Z Janicki 

P/O J Jankiewicz 

F/O W Januszewicz 

F/Lt. F Jastrzebski 

Sgt. J Jeka 

P/O E W Jereczek 

Sgt. S Karubin 

P/O W E Karwowski 

P/O T W Kawalecki

F/O W S Krol

P/O T L Kumiega 

F/O Z Kustrzynski 

F/Sgt. J Kwiecinski 

F/Lt. P Laguna 

P/O S Lapka

P/O W Lapkowski 

F/O W Lazoryk 

P/O W Lokuciewski 

F/O K Lukaszewicz 

Sgt. A Lysek 

Sgt. M M Maciejowski 

P/O J Macinski 

Sgt. B Malinowski 

P/O J L Malinski

Sgt. M S Marcinkowski 

Sgt. A L Markiewicz 

P/O L Martel 

P/O B Mierzwa 

P/O W Miksa

Sgt. K A Muchowski 

Sgt. W Mudry 

S/Ldr. M Mumler 

P/O A R Narucki 

P/O P Niemiec 

P/O Z Nosowicz 

P/O T Nowak 

Sgt. E J A Nowakiewicz 

F/O T Nowierski 

F/O Z Olenski 

Sgt. B Olewinski 

S/Ldr. J Orzechowski 

F/O P Ostaszewski-Ostoja 

P/O A Ostowicz 

Sgt. J Palak

P/O J H Palusinski 

F/Lt. W Pankratz 

F/O L W Paszkiewicz 

Sgt. E Paterek 

P/O J P Pfeiffer 

P/O S Piatkowski 

P/O E R Pilch 

F/O M Pisarek 

P/O K Pniak

P/O J Poplawski 

P/O J Radomski 

P/O G Radwanski 

Sgt. J A Rogowski 

P/O M Rozwadowski 

P/O W Rozycki 

P/O W M C Samolinski 

Sgt. W Sasak 

F/O T Sawicz 

Sgt. A Seredyn 

Sgt. A Siudak 

P/O H Skalski 

P/O S Skalski 

Sgt. H Skowron 

P/O J J Solak 

F/O M J Steborowski 

P/O S Stegman 

P/O F Surma 

Sgt. L Switon 

Sgt. W Szafraniec 

Sgt. E Szaposznikow 

P/O H Szczesny 

Sgt. J Szlagowski 

P/O W Szlagowski 

F/O J Topolnicki 

S/Ldr. W Uurbanowicz 

P/O S Wapniarek 

P/O A Wczelik 

Sgt. M Wedzik 

P/O S Witorzenc 

P/O B A Wlasnowolski 

Sgt. A Wojcicki 

Sgt. M I Wojciechowski 

Sgt. S Wojtowicz 

P/O Z T A Wroblewski 

F/Sgt. K Wunsche 

P/O B Wydrowski 

F/O W Zak

Sgt. J Zaluski 

P/O P Zenker 

P/O A Zukowski 

P/O J E L Zumbach 

P/O J Zurakowski

P/O = Pilot Officer

F/Labour = Flying Officer

F/Lt = Flight Lieutenant

All that to be fucked over by Curchill in his deal with Stalin. at the end of the war

• Upvote 2