You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Nigel Farage and Mahatma Gandhi

UKIP leader Nigel Farage has compared his battle against the UK political establishment to Mahatma Gandhi's struggle for Indian independence.

He told supporters at a rally in Kent: "I am challenging the establishment, I am taking on the status quo."

He said anybody who had done that throughout history had been attacked for their beliefs.

Quoting Gandhi, he said: "At first they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win."

In his speech at Sandwich, Mr Farage said UKIP had endured levels of abuse that "don't generally get thrown at political parties".

"But then again I am challenging the establishment aren't I?," he told supporters.

"I am taking on the status quo. I am taking on their very, very comfortable lives.

"But if you look through history anybody that challenges the status quo, whether in business, science or politics, they have a go at you.

"And it was Gandhi, of course, who said 'first they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you and then you win'."

The quote, which was delivered with a smile, rounded off Mr Farage's speech and he repeated it later during a question and answer session.

It is one of the most widely quoted of Gandhi's maxims, summing up his philosophy of "insistence on truth" that underpinned his belief in non-violent resistance.

But according to the Christian Science Monitor, there is no evidence that the civil rights campaigner ever said it.

I see UKIP buried a poll they commissioned that put Farage behind in his bid for election in South Thanet. When it was leaked to The Mail they then claimed it was worthless becuase it included people not likely to vote, yet ComRes says it was conducted to the highest standard.

If the audience isn't receptive to him it's too left wing. If the polls aren't in his favour they are obviously weighted.

It's all getting a bit paranoid. No doubt Nigel blames immigration.

Nigel Farage and Mahatma Gandhi

UKIP leader Nigel Farage has compared his battle against the UK political establishment to Mahatma Gandhi's struggle for Indian independence.

He told supporters at a rally in Kent: "I am challenging the establishment, I am taking on the status quo."

He said anybody who had done that throughout history had been attacked for their beliefs.

Quoting Gandhi, he said: "At first they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win."

In his speech at Sandwich, Mr Farage said UKIP had endured levels of abuse that "don't generally get thrown at political parties".

"But then again I am challenging the establishment aren't I?," he told supporters.

"I am taking on the status quo. I am taking on their very, very comfortable lives.

"But if you look through history anybody that challenges the status quo, whether in business, science or politics, they have a go at you.

"And it was Gandhi, of course, who said 'first they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you and then you win'."

The quote, which was delivered with a smile, rounded off Mr Farage's speech and he repeated it later during a question and answer session.

It is one of the most widely quoted of Gandhi's maxims, summing up his philosophy of "insistence on truth" that underpinned his belief in non-violent resistance.

But according to the Christian Science Monitor, there is no evidence that the civil rights campaigner ever said it.

What a load of bollocks. It wasn't Gandhi who said that at all, it was dennis last week.

• Upvote 1

They've just knocked on at ours, it was an old bloke so I didn't tell him to fuck off but he got his leaflet back and a few choice words. Apparently he just wants his country back.

Well tell him to ask his beloved leader why his old party sold it all off to foreigners then. Something he was most likely party to.

Well tell him to ask his beloved leader why his old party sold it all off to foreigners then. Something he was most likely party to.

Its ok them doing our work  cheaper where they live and we don't have to look at them. Its when the buggers come over here and do it cheaper that it causes these pricks a problem.

• Upvote 1

Nigel Farage is a boss, like it or not the man strikes a chord with many, I wish him the all the best and hope UKIP get a load of seats this election.

Personally think the 2020 election will be the real break through for UKIP,  if Labour get in this time that will be guaranteed.

1429136989943.jpg

• Downvote 9

Nigel Farage is a boss, like it or not the man strikes a chord with many, I wish him the all the best and hope UKIP get a load of seats this election.

Personally think the 2020 election will be the real break through for UKIP,  if Labour get in this time that will be guaranteed.

1429136989943.jpg

Thick cunt.

• Upvote 4

UKip are fucking toast

They'll get 2 or 3 max seats this election and none in 2020

The bubble has burst and Farage has been shown up for what he is (donkey fiddler)

This is what the likes of yourself have been saying for the past few years only to be proven wrong every time, keep saying it though, you might convince yourself eventually.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

This is what the likes of yourself have been saying for the past few years only to be proven wrong every time, keep saying it though, you might convince yourself eventually.

I've been in and around politics for a long time, I've seen shitty little single issue parties come and go, they come in and resonate, then they actually have to stop being stupid cunts. What you're saying is what the BNP said last time around... 'you might convince yourself that we're not serious'. Fucking right wing cunts.