Quantcast
Stephen Darby - FF - Football Forum - The Liverpool Way Jump to content
PaulMcC

Stephen Darby

Going on loan to Swansea accoring to Swansea swoop for Liverpool skipper - MirrorFootball.co.uk

Swansea are set to take Liverpool's reserve team skipper Stephen Darby on loan.

Darby, 20, is anxious for some first team football this season and is heading to the Welsh Championship club for three months.

Swans boss Paulo Sousa is a big fan and would like him permanently but right-back Darby sees his long-term future at Anfield.

------

Fallen behind Kelly who personally i think has come back a better player after getting first team football with Huddersfield.

Hopefully the same will apply to Darby.

Guest Ulysses Everett McGill
Be a great loan move for him, hope it's true.

It is, should be sorted this week

Hopefully we have that clause that Rafa usually puts in place for loans.

Thay have to play a certain amount of games or the club pays us a fee.

I think Nemeth has one.

It is, should be sorted this week

Cheers for that Andy.

Hope he gets a few appearances. A quick search suggests their current right back, Angel Rangel, is regarded as one of their best players, but even still, the experience should do him the world of good.

It's a 28-man squad so I think the relevant quota might be covered. In any case, it could be a good move for Darby. As I've said on this forum many a time, we have a number of reserve players who need to benefit from regular football at a higher level before they stagnate. Darby is one of those.

Terrible news for Stephen.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45561264

Stephen Darby: Motor neurone disease diagnosis forces Bolton full-back to retire

Bolton defender Stephen Darby has announced his retirement from football, aged 29, after being diagnosed with motor neurone disease.

The full-back last played in December.

"I would like to ask for privacy at this time so I can adjust to the battle I have ahead and that I can spend time with those closest to me," he said.

Darby, married to Manchester City Women and England international Steph Houghton, began his career at Liverpool after coming through the academy.

He went on to make more than 200 appearances for Bradford City before joining Bolton in July 2017, reuniting with manager Phil Parkinson.

"This is heartbreaking news for Stephen and his family and the thoughts of everybody at Bolton are very much with him and Steph," Parkinson said.

A former England under-19 international, Darby made his senior Liverpool debut against Atletico Madrid in the Champions League in 2008, before loan spells with Swindon Town, Notts County and Rochdale.

During his time at Bradford, he was a Professional Footballers' Association club delegate and active member of their management committee.

"Stephen has been the epitome of a true professional," PFA director of player management Matthew Buck said.

"I'm sure he will face the future with the same determination and resolve he has shown throughout his football career. Myself and the PFA will continue to support Stephen in his battle ahead."

Horrible news, so sad. Known a couple of people had it. Woman I worked with was visited by some work friends, she was unable to speak but when asked how she felt managed to write - scared 

Awful disease, terrible shame.  Have always held that Darby should be the template for many of our academy players to aim for.  Smart, mature player who knew his job, put in the work to make it at the senior level and always respected the opportunities he had.  Went on to be a really good pro in the league, the kind we should be producing regularly - but that mentality is all too rare.  That run to the League Cup final a few years back was special.