You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Marko121

Not to self: always read the date on a thread in case it is a resurrected thread that you missed first time round. This may save you the trouble of spending the best part of an hour formulating an extensive and cogent argument questioning the editorial policy of the BBC.

Not to self: always read the date on a thread in case it is a resurrected thread that you missed first time round. This may save you the trouble of spending the best part of an hour formulating an extensive and cogent argument questioning the editorial policy of the BBC

People will have been expecting my 100th post to be different from all others, but just to show that I am my own man, I thought I would reprint the 99th.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Kelvin MacKenzie dropped from the Telegraph | Media | guardian.co.uk

The Daily Telegraph has dropped Kelvin MacKenzie after only his first online column for the newspaper.

The controversial former Sun editor published his first column for theTelegraph on Thursday, taking aim at the teaching profession, reality TV producers, banks and British Gas.

The Telegraph's publishers had positioned it a regular gig for MacKenzie, a former Daily Mail columnist, with its official @Telegraph feed marking his arrival with the tweet "introducing our new columinst...".

Richard Fletcher, editor of Telegraph.co.uk, added to the belief that it was a weekly assignment telling Twitter followers to "Meet our new @Telegraph columnist ... Kelvin MacKenzie. Read his debut column here".

However by the end of the day on Friday the mood had changed with Henry Winter, football correspondent at the Daily Telegraph, that MacKenzie's column was a "one-off and won't be repeated".

The column had attracted more than 800 comments, many of them accusing the Telegraph of dumbing down.

A spokeswoman for the publisher would not elaborate on why MacKenzie had been ditched, instead reiterating the line that it was a "one-off experiment".

Speculation circulated on Twitter, fuelled by a piece published by the Liverpool Daily Post, that MacKenzie was dropped following a backlash linked to the Hillsborough football disaster.

Hillsborough Family Support Group chair Margaret Aspinall told the Liverpool Daily Post that the timing of his hiring was an "absolute disgrace": the anniversary of the disaster is on 15 April.

MacKenzie was responsible for the notorious front page splash, which ran with the headline "The Truth", making false allegations about the behaviour of Liverpool FC fans at the Hillsborough stadium disaster.

In September, he offered the people of Liverpool his "profuse apologies" for the story in the wake of the publication of the Hillsborough Independent Panel report.

MacKenzie was a columnist for The Sun from mid-2005, when he was signed as a replacement for Richard Littlejohn, to 2011 when he was signed as a columnist for the Daily Mail.

Why why why does he still get air space? I really don't understand why anyone with any nouse at a newspaper (that isn't a scum rag) thinks his contribution will add to their publication. Yes, he'll attract comment because he's vile, and that will generate page views. But a sub editor can stick a controversial headline or byline on a page and it will do exactly the same thing. It's usually sensational, unsubstantiated garbage that attracts the most comment anyway. Any hack can do that.

He's not relevant and there's just no real justification for that scumbag's existence at all.

People will have been expecting my 100th post to be different from all others, but just to show that I am my own man, I thought I would reprint the 99th.

I wonder if anyone got the Rafa reference...

Man, he was stubborn.

As for the Daily Torygraph - it's a reactionary rag with great sport coverage. Except for that YTS kid Leuw.

As for McKenzie, he's a disgusting individual, and I hope that one day some real muck gets raked up on him.

• 2 weeks later...
19 APRIL 2013 - 8:54AM | POSTED BY JOHN GLENDAY | 0 COMMENTS

Alan Hansen named as leader of internal Daily Telegraph revolt to oust Kelvin MacKenzie

Share on email

Alan Hansen named as leader of internal Daily Telegraph revolt to oust

Kelvin MacKenzie’s abrupt departure from the Daily Telegraph, after penning just one column, has been pinned on an internal revolt by the paper's sports desk, led by Alan Hansen, according to the Guardian columnist Roy Greenslade.

Hansen played for Liverpool on the day of the Hillsborough tragedy and has been a long-standing supporter of the bereaved families – and critic of MacKenzie’s front page splash denouncing the people of Liverpool.

Greenslade wrote in his column: “I understand that the editor, Tony Gallagher, was made aware by the sports desk of deep upset about the hiring of MacKenzie by its writers, especially its star columnist Alan Hansen.”

It is believed Gallagher was told in no uncertain terms that Hansen could not continue with his column if MacKenzie remained present, forcing Gallagher to side with him or face a torrent of negative publicity.

In addition Greenslade has also shone some light on MacKenzie’s similarly rapid departure from the Daily Mail, writing: “MacKenzie was extremely upset about the editing of his column, which included the refusal to publish certain items. He regarded this as censorship. It led to a series of rows and eventually, after one extremely contentious decision not to run a certain item (the contents of which I cannot disclose), MacKenzie went.”

Alan Hansen named as leader of internal Daily Telegraph revolt to oust Kelvin MacKenzie | The Drum

• 1 year later...

Commmisioned for one article to say he was wrong about immigration

Cunt's got a book to flog.  I spotted a copy in Waterstone's in Liverpool One last week.  Hopefully nobody's bought it - after all, you wouldn't buy a book if someone had "accidentally" broken the spine, would you?

• Upvote 2