You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Parking ticket - appeal?

Dan Vito Corleone

When I went to a certain ground watching a certain sport on Monday 24th August, I got a ticket for parking in the residents zone without a permit. Parked there for years, first time they've ever bothered. Whilst I hope they get AIDS, I am bang to rights.

That was Monday 24th August. I have just looked at the ticket, as I was about to pay it online, and it says it was issues on 19th August, which was the Wednesday before. I get 14 days to pay it, in which case it's £35 instead of £70. But now surely that 14 days will be up because of the incorrect date on the ticket?

I don't know if it's grounds on which to appeal, but it was most certainly NOT the date I committed this henious crime. I can live with paying the fine as I was in the wrong, but not the full whack because I am willing to pay within the 30 days.

Thoughts, GF? Can/should I appeal?

A few years ago in a remarkably similar situation, I appealed a ticket successfully on the grounds that my chase up letter that informed me that mine was rising to £70 had the wrong date on it, and didnt match the original ticket.

Only problem with an appeal is that if you lose you deffo have to pay the higher cost as they claim you are getting to pay half cost for quick payment and that the actual fine should be £70 anyway. Give them a call, the call center you get through to are used to us lot moaning, but will generally give you a good unofficail indication as to whether your appeal will be successful - good luck

Well worth having a read through this...

Parking Ticket Appeals: Fight unfair council parking tickets...

Having just read through this it says one one the main grounds for successful appeal is administrative error..

There has been a procedural impropriety by the Enforcement Authority.

In plain English: The council made an administrative error.

This applies when councils have failed to include all the required information on their tickets or 'Notice to Owner' letters, which renders the charge invalid. If you've been unfairly fined, this is a useful tactic to ensure your appeal wins.

According to the sexily named Civil Enforcement of Parking Contraventions General Regulations (2007), there's a list of information that must be contained and accurate on a civil Penalty Charge Notice, see the full list (there's a slightly different list for posted tickets).

In all cases, a council must respond within 56 days of receiving your formal appeal otherwise the penalty is unenforceable.

That one is easy. If it's issued the 19th and you know you never stood parked there that date then just say so. Tell them your car was never there that day and ask them to document the grounds for the ticket. They have to do so if you appeal, and they have to prolong the payment day while the appeal is managed.

That one is easy. If it's issued the 19th and you know you never stood parked there that date then just say so. Tell them your car was never there that day and ask them to document the grounds for the ticket. They have to do so if you appeal, and they have to prolong the payment day while the appeal is managed.
Don't traffic wardens now routinely photograph cars to which they have issued tickets? If so it should be easy to settle.