You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Not exactly time consuming to produce a few quotes for the press department about a newly signed talent, though.

I reckon Purslow and Dalglish are running the show for the future at the moment.

I reckon you're reading too much into it, no doubt it came up at the press conference.

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not exactly time consuming to produce a few quotes for the press department about a newly signed talent, though.

I reckon Purslow and Dalglish are running the show for the future at the moment.

Benitez is happy with the signing of Shelvey and admits he has other young British talent lined up to bring in at Anfield.

"But we have been working for years; I was trying to sign Gareth Barry before and Glen Johnson was the same idea - we were trying to bring in British players with passion," added Benitez.

"Players who could feel what Liverpool means for them. Shelvey is one of these and we have two or three names ready so we will try to do the best for the club.

"We have this long-term plan in place and we will try to follow the plan."

Sky Sports | Football | Premier League | News | Rafa committed to Reds

Liverpool manager Rafael Benitez is following a long-term plan at the club and is frustrated with constant rumours about his future.

The Spaniard has been heavily linked again with Juventus, who were reportedly sending a delegation to Merseyside this week to discuss a potential summer move.

That seemed an unlikely occurrence with Liverpool facing Atletico Madrid in Thursday's Europa League semi-final second leg trailing 1-0, and then hosting Chelsea on Sunday.

The club have also announced the signing of 18-year-old Jonjo Shelvey from Charlton in a £1.7million deal.

Having already signed QPR's Raheem Sterling, aged 15, earlier this season Benitez said he has a number of other young, British players lined up to sign in the near future.

"I don't like [the rumours]," said the Spaniard ahead of the Atletico clash at Anfield.

"I would like to see news in the press about trophies, or goals or fantastic performances about players but you cannot control everything.

"My future is Atletico Madrid. We have to concentrate on this game and try to win because it is the best for the club.

"But we have been working for years; I was trying to sign Gareth Barry before and Glen Johnson was the same idea - we were trying to bring in British players with passion.

"Players who could feel what it means to be a Liverpool player. Shelvey is one of these and we have two or three names ready so we will try to do the best for the club.

I reckon you're reading too much into it, no doubt it came up at the press conference.

Benitez is happy with the signing of Shelvey and admits he has other young British talent lined up to bring in at Anfield.

"But we have been working for years; I was trying to sign Gareth Barry before and Glen Johnson was the same idea - we were trying to bring in British players with passion," added Benitez.

"Players who could feel what Liverpool means for them. Shelvey is one of these and we have two or three names ready so we will try to do the best for the club.

Sky Sports | Football | Premier League | News | Rafa committed to Reds

I guess you are right:-)

Why not?

Magic was clearly desperate to come here, and turned down better opportunities to do so.

A desire to join a particular club is not quite what I have in mind when I think of a passionate player!

Carra and Rooney have it. Gerrard when he's in the mood.

Maybe Johnson does, but I don't think I've noticed it.

Anyway, was just a passing comment.

Reina epitomises passion in the game for me.

His reactions when we score/win/lose says it all for me.

I appreciate were talking about 'British' passion here but he should be the yard stick to measure passion against, regardless of nationality.

Barry therefore come's nowhere near being classed as what i'd call passionate.

Reina epitomises passion in the game for me.

His reactions when we score/win/lose says it all for me.

I appreciate were talking about 'British' passion here but he should be the yard stick to measure passion against, regardless of nationality.

Barry therefore come's nowhere near being classed as what i'd call passionate.

Yeah, Pepe has it in spades.

Shelvey should play alongside El Jefe as out CM's next season...

If he is as good as reports suggest, I'd move Gerrard back next to Masch and let Shelvey run amok in front of them. Sometimes that could mean Masch holding and a two headed monster of Gerrard and Shelvey bombing forward.

The "if" is pretty big, though.

Don't think he'll be ready to start for us on a regular basis just yet. But with the new ruling about having 8 English players in the 25 man squad coming into affect from next year, I would certainly hope he'll get regular appearances off the bench, and cup games, and then we can gauge how well he's progressing. Or I'd just as happily send him on loan to a good side for the season, if he'll get regular games.