You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Words you spent years pismronouncing before some twat finally corrected you

hamstrung

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some stupid bitch on the train home tonight was going on to some equally thick bloke about how she's going to be doing her accountancy exams in a few weeks. She then said that work was very busy as they were operating on a 'skellington' staff system at the minute.

And another thing. The number of Liverpool accented f****all supporters ringing into *FCTV and the like and pronouncing a certain attacking f*****ller's name as something you fly in the sky on the end of a piece of string when the pronunciation is more like a bovine animal with a T stuck on the end. You'd thing that after five years people would have managed to get that right.

People who pronounce Chorizo as chu-ritz-o or chu-ree-zo should be shot in the face.

It's CHU-REETH-O. I often find myself being that annoying twat who corrects you, only I do it to total strangers in the supermarket.

"can I have some churitzo please?"

"erm, can I just stop you there. I think you'll find it's pronounced chu-REETH- O"

What an annoying twat I am.

YOU might pronounce it with a lisp, like in spanialand or wherever the fuck, but here in England- speaking English- it's a churitzo. Can't be doing with pretentious twats who say things like noogar, it's nugget you ponce. Or hal a peeno when they mean jalapeno- it's got a fucking J on it- use it. And don't get me started on the scotch. And no I don't mean the drink. You may call yourselves 'scots' in scotland, but this is England, and down here you're scotch. It is necessary for the development of language that we use the correct pronunciation, we don't say meh-hi-co (unless your speedy gonzales) because it doesn't read that way. When talking about the pasta dish we don't say tally a telly, we say tag lee a telly, because that's what it is. Foreign words are only foreign until we are expected to use them, then they are ours to correct as we see fit.

YOU might pronounce it with a lisp, like in spanialand or wherever the fuck, but here in England- speaking English- it's a churitzo. Can't be doing with pretentious twats who say things like noogar, it's nugget you ponce. Or hal a peeno when they mean jalapeno- it's got a fucking J on it- use it. And don't get me started on the scotch. And no I don't mean the drink. You may call yourselves 'scots' in scotland, but this is England, and down here you're scotch. It is necessary for the development of language that we use the correct pronunciation, we don't say meh-hi-co (unless your speedy gonzales) because it doesn't read that way. When talking about the pasta dish we don't say tally a telly, we say tag lee a telly, because that's what it is. Foreign words are only foreign until we are expected to use them, then they are ours to correct as we see fit.
Yeah, you say everything wrong.

Nugget? Marone

I used to mispronounce 'paradigm' until a few years ago. I've got a degree in English......

A pet hate of mine is when someone is describing a discussion they've had and use the phrase "..and they turned around and said...." What? They had their back to you while you were talking to them????

Hmmm, I agree mostly with what you say about poncy foreign pronounciations in english. I say Paris not Paree, Jalapeno not Halapeno for example. But there are some instances where I'm not consistent with this. Still on the Mexican (not Mehican) theme (hey I like spicy food!) I tend to say Fahita rather than Fageeta.

Maryland in the US - i say Mary-Land, but Americans say Merry-Lin or something

I was behind some women from Maryland at passport control, they say myrrh-uh-lun...I liked it.

Hyperbole, I now how to pronounce it but my brain still reads it as hyperbowl no matter how many times I tell it.

I say Halapeno but Chureetho, and Fahita but not Mehico...I'm a little confused.