You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Eduardo gets a two match ban

Mendoza

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 game ban for a yellow card offence was ridiculous. And what has happened with every dive that has happened since then, and there has been loads. How can you punish one player for diving then let 100s more dives go unpunished.

plus Arsenal are claiming they prooved there was contact. If thats the case then theres no way it could have stood, he obviously dived but if there was the slighest bit of contact, then players go down.

Yea there was contact, but it very very clearly wasn't enough to obstruct him on his run with the ball, and yet he felt the need to go down like he was fouled?

Does the yellow card already, get another and you miss the next game apply during group stages? If so, they should stick him on a yellow card at the very least.

2 game ban for a yellow card offence was ridiculous. And what has happened with every dive that has happened since then, and there has been loads. How can you punish one player for diving then let 100s more dives go unpunished.

plus Arsenal are claiming they prooved there was contact. If thats the case then theres no way it could have stood, he obviously dived but if there was the slighest bit of contact, then players go down.

Top bit is absolutely correct.

Second bit I think Arsenal are talking bollocks.

Sky Sports | Football | Champions League | News | Eduardo ban overturned

WOOP we're all allowed to dive now. Come on Stevie get us some penos lad!

Arsenal striker Eduardo has seen his two-match UEFA Champions League ban overturned by European football's governing body.

The Croatia international was handed the punishment after tumbling to the ground to win a penalty in the second leg of the qualifying showdown against Celtic.

Television replays showed that Bhoys goalkeeper Artur Boruc had made no contact with the Gunners forward and Uefa subsequently charged Eduardo with 'deceiving the referee' and issued the two-game penalty.

The North London club responded to the announcement by stating their "deep frustration" with the decision and issued an immediate appeal.

Uefa's Appeals Body have accepted the plea from Arsene Wenger's side and Eduardo's suspension has been dropped, leaving him free to feature in their opening Group H clash away to Standard Liege on Wednesday.

A statement from Uefa on their official website read: "Following examination of all the evidence, notably the declarations of both the referee and the referees' assessor, as well as the various video footage, it was not established to the panel's satisfaction that the referee had been deceived in taking his decision on the penalty."

Standards

Arsenal welcomed their successful appeal, claiming that they were able to prove that Boruc had made contact with the forward.

A statement on the club's official website read: "We are grateful that the appeal body focused on the evidence and made the right decision in this case.

"We were able to show that there was contact between the goalkeeper and Eduardo and that the decision of the Uefa disciplinary body should be annulled.

"We fully support the drive for fair play in football and believe it is important that Uefa provide clear and comprehensive standards that will be consistently enforced going forward.

"We are glad to put this incident behind us and concentrate on the games ahead."

Truth

Eduardo has also hailed Uefa's decision, insisting that he would never attempt to cheat during a match, while hinting that the horror injury he sustained against Birmingham last year may have had an impact on how he went to ground.

He said: "I'm very pleased that we have finally arrived at the truth. All we needed to do was to prove what happened and we have managed to do that. This decision makes me feel a lot better.

"I certainly feel relieved now. I have had great support from my family, friends and of course everyone at the club.

"Now I just want to forget about this and think about our match against Standard Liege on Wednesday. I was always prepared for the match in Belgium because I had good feeling and I always remained positive about the outcome. Now we have a final result, I can now look forward to helping the team on Wednesday night.

"All I remember of the incident is that as soon as I had possession of the ball I headed towards goal at full speed. I was very close to the Celtic keeper and felt contact on my foot and then lost my balance. I know perhaps more than anyone else that when you have contact at speed it can be dangerous.

"I just want to say that I'm a fair player. To score goals you must take your opportunities and I'm not the type of player who needs to be dishonest to score goals."

Fifa, tell the FA of every country to employ 10 people to look through video of every game from the top 3 tiers of their respective leagues. Give 2 match bans to every dive they find in the games they look through. Surely something like this could be easily achievable.

This just proves and confirms what a shambles FIFA&UEFA are. They are the most disorganised unlogical bunch of mupets ever. Nealy every majour dicission beggers belief. But when you see the muppets they have fronting their organisation it's not really suprising. They should have stuck by the orignal descission. It would have sent out the right message for divers. No diver know they can dice till the cows come hope and they will not be punished. Idiots.