You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Season so far............ as I see it.

AussieRed

Lot's of discussion so far regarding our concerns thought I'd throw in my two cents for what it's worth.

All in all, I would say we are playing fairly well with a few small but significant concerns.

Our biggest problem, by a mile, is set pieces. Virtually all of the goals scored against us have been due to our inability to handle long balls into the box. The problem, I believe, is due to several factors. One being that our team is probably shorter than it has been for many seasons. Masch, Lucas, Insua and Benny are not physically capable of being a factor. The other concern is that we have a problem with our central defence. Carra is past it. He showed signs of it last season. Happens to everyone eventually. The addition of Johnson also means that he will be more exposed as he will become more isolated more frequently. Skrtel tries hard but has no talent in the air and no great pace. For me Agger is our best player at the position (provided he returns unaltered).

Johnson is the best RB I've seen since Cafu (maybe better). Insua is solid forward and in defence but his small stature is concerning at set pieces.

Contrary to popular belief, I see no issues with our midfield. We have controlled possesion in every game and created plenty of chances. Lucas and Masch keep things simple nothing wrong with that. I've also noticed Lucas get further up the pitch which is promising as it creates more space for others. If anything Masch has been the underperforming player. Once Aquillani is fit, I think a midfield partnership of Lucas and Aquillani may be the most effective against the weaker teams. I would obviously play Javi against the big 4.

Our wide men are the same as last season. Kuyt drives you crazy for most of the match and then scores or sets someone up. Riera is our best player on the left and should start most matches. He brings others in the game and provides natural width. Benny drifts in and can get into Gerrards areas.

Up front Torres looks tired. Shame we have no replacement. Gerrard will hit top form in time. However, I was disturbed that he was marked out of the first half against Bolton. I think this tactic will occur again as it was highly effective.

If we fix the defence we will be OK. We have scored in every match. We should not have to win matches 3-2. Remember, Man U virtually won the title with 1-0 scorelines. We will make chances but we can't leak goals.

Can't argue with most of that, the comment about Torres looking tired will be said every time he has an off day or until we sign a second, top class, striker which is something I think most Reds have recognised since the start of last season.

We now have full backs who push on and we'll run the risk of being caught out every time we concede possession, especially as our centre backs aren't naturally quick players and we can't expect Masch to cover all the time.

Perhaps playing 3-5-2 in some matches could help that particular problem out?

I hope we do continue attacking though, as long as we turn those draws into more wins than defeats we'll be challenging.

I'll be disappointed if we don't sign someone to help Torres out before the transfer window shuts.

When Agger, Skrtel and Aurellio return we will have a very strong back line with ample of back up.

We saw last season how we have some of the best defenders going. That hasnt change. Just some fine tuning required and we are set.

Also Kyrgiakos was godo yesterday and a welcome addition to the squad.

We can and we will play better.

Agree about Kyrgiakos, I quite like Davies, even though he's a pain in the arse to us, but SK handled him relatively well yesterday from what I saw, he's strong in the air and could be a threat for us from corners (a la Sami), it is one game though, so we'll have to give it time I suppose to see how he copes against teams better than Bolton.

When Agger, Skrtel and Aurellio return we will have a very strong back line with ample of back up.

We saw last season how we have some of the best defenders going. That hasnt change. Just some fine tuning required and we are set.

Also Kyrgiakos was godo yesterday and a welcome addition to the squad.

We can and we will play better.

do you mean he was like someone out of "lord of the rings"??

Here's the way I see our season so far,we've been a little disjointed at times and looked very slow in possession.When we increase our intensity we really cause problems but unfortunately we have to go behind for that to happen.

But and its a big but,this early in the season its all about results,if we can continue to grind out wins the performances will arrive in due course.

Gerrard will hit top form in time. However, I was disturbed that he was marked out of the first half against Bolton. I think this tactic will occur again as it was highly effective.

If I remember correctly, Bolton have tried this tactic the last few times we've played, certainly since Megson took over, and we've still beat them.

i think other teams would have also tried this before now so I don't see them starting now.