You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Noel Gallagher quits Oasis

Mendoza

As much as I'm gutted that Noel seems to have called it a day, to claim that Definately Maybe is the greatest debut album ever is a bold statement.

All about opinions, but personally, just off the top of my head, i'd place these three at the very least on a par.

the_la%27s.jpg

stoneroses_album_300x300.jpg

the%20clash%20the%20clash.jpg

Can't believe you've made me break my self-imposed posting ban, damn you Woo

Throw in Never Mind The Bollocks as well, and weirdly, you've got the template for Definitely Maybe (minus the obvious Beatles references). Definitely Maybe is a fine debut, but in now way better than these four.

Throw in Never Mind The Bollocks as well, and weirdly, you've got the template for Definitely Maybe (minus the obvious Beatles references). Definitely Maybe is a fine debut, but in now way better than these four.

I think you can throw this baby into the mix as well:

Velvet_Underground_and_Nico.jpg

Sad to see they're still doing eachother's heads in, but that's brothers I guess. They were the band that got me into guitar music and changed my life, so I'd never be able to put into words how much I respect them, but it's probably for the best if it's a proper splitting up.

I just hope Liam get's that guitar out and makes an album aswell as Noel, and that Noel mixes things up if/when he makes his. He sang on Setting Sun by The Chemical Brothers years back and said he'd always liked that type of music, and since then I'd often wondered what he'd be like when he made his own stuff if he added some of that.

It's probably for the best musically, for them and us, as I can see them both making great albums if they haven't lost their love of music.

It's been on the cards. I had hoped that they would get through to the end of the tour and then take a break for a year or so before coming back with another album; I guess it wasn't to be though.

I suppose there was a degree of inevitability of how they split, Liam and Noel brawling like the old times. It couldn't have happened any other way. In a way it's a massive shame though, as at the end of the day they're brothers. I would hate to have that sort of relationship with my brother. Sometimes music has to take a back step and hopefully if Noel and Liam aren't in Oasis together anymore then they can have some sort of relationship in the future.

The consolation is that this split should spark some solo material from Noel and Liam; I'm looking forward to both.

Thanks for the memories and I look forward to the inevitable reunion...

It's very sad, but I suppose it was inevitable at the same time.

Oasis were my gateway into music and the first band I truly adored. I was a kid during the whole 'Britpop' era and my parents were right into it so I grew up with Oasis, Blur and Pulp being played around the house. When I was about 7 or 8, I remember feeling like the coolest person on the planet when I first got into them; especially seeing as most of the kids in my class at the time seemed to be into Aqua or the Spice Girls or other garbage like that.

I think all that's to be said about their first two albums has already been said on here and I can only echo those sentiments. Absolutely superb albums. Ok, so they may never have been able to replicate that in anything since then (although I think Don't Believe The Truth had its moments and I don't think Be Here Now is as bad as people make out), but fuck me, they can't half put on a show. I've seen them three times and each time they've been phenomenal. It's something of a revelation when the sneering, cocky figures from the records materialise in front of you.

Over the years, it's been seen as somewhat fashionable to slag them off. People claim that they're 'unintelligent', but I defy anybody to find a lyric better than 'all your dreams are made, when you're chained to your mirror and your razorblade' to encapsulate the innocent hedonism of the 90s.

In my opinion, there's always been a depth and a subtlety that separates them from other 'laddish' bands. Obviously you've got the ballsy and in your face stuff like Roll With It that's just made for live performances, but at the same time, you have absolutely beautiful songs like Sad Song, Talk Tonight, Half The World Away and The Masterplan.

As I said, it's very sad news and it feels like the death of a childhood pet, but at the same time, I'm hoping that Noel puts out that solo album he's always been threatening and I'd imagine he's got the time to do it now. I saw him playing a solo set a few years back at the MEN for a charity gig were it was just him and a string orchestra behind him and it was brilliant set. I think he's probably gone a bit stale in Oasis the last few years, and hopefully this will freshen things up creatively. There's more to meets the eye with Noel Gallagher and I, for one, can't wait to find out what he's got up his sleeve.

Wonderful post that. Well done.

You do remember correctly, happy Mondays and doves. Doves played a blinder

Twas there to , the 2nd night , you ?

What a fuckin day , sun was shining , skinning up in the crowd , with a fit bird , fuckin great day man , we ended missing our train from Paddington back home and blagged a 4 star for £50 for the night . Bargain!!!

One of the best days of my life .

And Lest we forget - Supersonic was written in Liverpool.

They'll soon be back together.

Oasis were one of the few bands circa DM/WTSMG that had me religiously buying singles as their b-sides were often better than most bands a-sides.

That's true for me too, I was desperate to get hold of all their singles when they were first released.

What a fuckin day , sun was shining , skinning up in the crowd , with a fit bird , fuckin great day man , we ended missing our train from Paddington back home and blagged a 4 star for £50 for the night . Bargain!!!

Was it? Bloody hell, I never knew that!

ah, I was there on the Friday, the one on the dvd. Your night was the one liam was bladderd and refused to leave the stage at the end, saw it on the tele on sky one I think.

Friday was a cracking day out. Sun was shining, beer was flowing and they played well (although doves were sensational, rushed out and bought lost souls when it was realeased a week or so later)

Good memories. Glad I got to see them back then.

Bit of info I saw on my travels

Scottish singer Amy MacDonald, who also played the event, claimed via Twitter the band "cancelled again with one minute to stage time!!! Liam smashed Noel's guitar, huuuge fight!"

and this, excuse the Retarded capitals.

LIAM SMASHED NOEL'S CHERRY RED ES-355 BEFORE THE GIG AS A REACTION TO A FLIPPANT COMMENT NOEL MADE BACK STAGE ABOUT LIAM'S COMMITMENTS AND PROFESSIONALISM TOWARDS THE BAND. BOTH GEM AND ANDY DIDN'T BELIEVE LIAM WHEN HE TOLD THEM, BUT HE HAD BEEN DRINKING ALL DAY, WALKED OUT OF THE ROOM THE THREE OF THEM WERE IN AND SMASHED THE GUITAR UP IN FRONT OF NOEL, CAUSING A RUCKUS THAT HAD TO BE STOPPED BY BAND MANAGEMENT AND SECURITY.

Bit of info I saw on my travels

Scottish singer Amy MacDonald, who also played the event, claimed via Twitter the band "cancelled again with one minute to stage time!!! Liam smashed Noel's guitar, huuuge fight!"

and this, excuse the Retarded capitals.

LIAM SMASHED NOEL'S CHERRY RED ES-355 BEFORE THE GIG AS A REACTION TO A FLIPPANT COMMENT NOEL MADE BACK STAGE ABOUT LIAM'S COMMITMENTS AND PROFESSIONALISM TOWARDS THE BAND. BOTH GEM AND ANDY DIDN'T BELIEVE LIAM WHEN HE TOLD THEM, BUT HE HAD BEEN DRINKING ALL DAY, WALKED OUT OF THE ROOM THE THREE OF THEM WERE IN AND SMASHED THE GUITAR UP IN FRONT OF NOEL, CAUSING A RUCKUS THAT HAD TO BE STOPPED BY BAND MANAGEMENT AND SECURITY.

As I said earlier, that shows the differences between Liam and Noel quite wonderfully; Liam is a complete fucking dickhead and his brother isn't. He seems to have been going right off the rails recently, pissed as a cunt all the time and showing no respect or regard for either the fans or his brother. Without them, he wouldn't have the rock and roll lifestyle that he so clearly cherishes - he's like a poor man's Mark E Smith but without a drop of the talent that let Smith get away with his outrageous behaviour for so long.

Guest ian garro

Some heavy shit here - "band mates" ?

"29/08/09

Dearly beloved, it is with a heavy heart and a sad face that I say this to you this morning.

As of last Friday the 28th August, I have been forced to leave the Manchester rock'n'roll pop group Oasis.

The details are not important and of too great a number to list. But I feel you have the right to know that the level of verbal and violent intimidation towards me, my family, friends and comrades has become intolerable. And the lack of support and understanding from my management and band mates has left me with no other option than to get me cape and seek pastures new.

I would like firstly to offer my apologies to them kids in Paris who'd paid money and waited all day to see us only to be let down AGAIN by the band. Apologies are probably not enough, I know, but I'm afraid it's all I've got.

While I'm on the subject, I'd like to say to the good people of V Festival that experienced the same thing. Again, I can only apologise - although I don't know why, it was nothing to do with me. I was match fit and ready to be brilliant. Alas, other people in the group weren't up to it.

In closing I would like to thank all the Oasis fans, all over the world. The last 18 years have been truly, truly amazing (and I hate that word, but today is the one time I'll deem it appropriate). A dream come true. I take with me glorious memories.

Now, if you'll excuse me I have a family and a football team to indulge.

I'll see you somewhere down the road. It's been a fuckin' pleasure.

Thanks very much

NG"

Two good albums and thats about it although this could be the best thing happens Noel as there could be another couple of good tunes in him, although if he joins up with Weller then he's fooked.

Correct.

Mostly because he'd forever be Ernie Wise to Weller's Eric Morecambe.

Just joshing. Noel's a prince, but Paul's the king. Have a listen to 'All Mod Cons' for evidence of that.

Some heavy shit here - "band mates" ?

Apart from his brother, the others are little more than hired session musicians.

Liam's twitter page had become quite funny with it's insults at 'shortarse' Parker and his man period, appearing on the Nolan's comeback album and jibes at his celebrity lifestyle.