You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Noel Gallagher quits Oasis

Mendoza

Definatly Maybe was and still is a stunning debut album,an whats the story was a superb follow up ,Champagne Supernova will always be a favourite of mine but thats where they started down hill in my mind,since then its been shite

If I was a betting man I'd be putting me money on Paul Weller and Noel doing some joint ventures .We may very well finally see,as Stu says,just what Noel is made of

Guest Ulysses Everett McGill
Definitely Maybe - The greatest debut album ever. Anyone who disagrees is retarded.

As much as I'm gutted that Noel seems to have called it a day, to claim that Definately Maybe is the greatest debut album ever is a bold statement.

All about opinions, but personally, just off the top of my head, i'd place these three at the very least on a par.

the_la%27s.jpg

stoneroses_album_300x300.jpg

the%20clash%20the%20clash.jpg

Can't believe you've made me break my self-imposed posting ban, damn you Woo

As much as I'm gutted that Noel seems to have called it a day, to claim that Definately Maybe is the greatest debut album ever is a bold statement.

All about opinions, but personally, just off the top of my head, i'd place these three at the very least on a par.

the_la%27s.jpg

stoneroses_album_300x300.jpg

the%20clash%20the%20clash.jpg

Can't believe you've made me break my self-imposed posting ban, damn you Woo

Andy I fucking love those 3 albums aswell. The top two are definitely in my top 10 of all time. I realise it's a bold statement, and obviously there are many others which have a great case for being just as good, if not better, but everytime I put Definitely Maybe on, it sounds just as fucking awesome as the first time I heard it. Plus Oasis are my favourite band of all time, so I might be just a little biased.

Guest Ulysses Everett McGill
Damn you Woo. (Joke Andy).

Is exactly why I jacked it in, just waiting for the cavalry (Does Brownie post this late?) to arrive now.

Anyway, save ruining a good thread, I'm going to log out and use this thread as a reminder not to bother logging back in.

Toodle pip

Is exactly why I jacked it in, just waiting for the cavalry (Does Brownie post this late?) to arrive now.

Anyway, save ruining a good thread, I'm going to log out and use this thread as a reminder not to bother logging back in.

Toodle pip

Chill man. I am sad tonight. Seriously. Can't believe you took that seriously.

I'll echo the above statement.

Seen them twice, last time was the wembley gig on the DVD they did back in 2000. Could of seen them twice at heaten park this year, for free on some industry tickets, but chose to get an early train home to ours both nights.

Saw them at at gig as well. Doves were on before them if I remember correctly.

Yawn. They need to grow the hell up. We all have to work with people we hate and force a smile and get the hell on with it. Letting down fans like that is completely out of order. He should at least have honoured the gigs within the near future that people had spent a lot of time and money making arrangements for. Noel Gallagher is officially my 'Cunt of the Week'.

It's very sad, but I suppose it was inevitable at the same time.

Oasis were my gateway into music and the first band I truly adored. I was a kid during the whole 'Britpop' era and my parents were right into it so I grew up with Oasis, Blur and Pulp being played around the house. When I was about 7 or 8, I remember feeling like the coolest person on the planet when I first got into them; especially seeing as most of the kids in my class at the time seemed to be into Aqua or the Spice Girls or other garbage like that.

I think all that's to be said about their first two albums has already been said on here and I can only echo those sentiments. Absolutely superb albums. Ok, so they may never have been able to replicate that in anything since then (although I think Don't Believe The Truth had its moments and I don't think Be Here Now is as bad as people make out), but fuck me, they can't half put on a show. I've seen them three times and each time they've been phenomenal. It's something of a revelation when the sneering, cocky figures from the records materialise in front of you.

Over the years, it's been seen as somewhat fashionable to slag them off. People claim that they're 'unintelligent', but I defy anybody to find a lyric better than 'all your dreams are made, when you're chained to your mirror and your razorblade' to encapsulate the innocent hedonism of the 90s.

In my opinion, there's always been a depth and a subtlety that separates them from other 'laddish' bands. Obviously you've got the ballsy and in your face stuff like Roll With It that's just made for live performances, but at the same time, you have absolutely beautiful songs like Sad Song, Talk Tonight, Half The World Away and The Masterplan.

As I said, it's very sad news and it feels like the death of a childhood pet, but at the same time, I'm hoping that Noel puts out that solo album he's always been threatening and I'd imagine he's got the time to do it now. I saw him playing a solo set a few years back at the MEN for a charity gig were it was just him and a string orchestra behind him and it was brilliant set. I think he's probably gone a bit stale in Oasis the last few years, and hopefully this will freshen things up creatively. There's more to meets the eye with Noel Gallagher and I, for one, can't wait to find out what he's got up his sleeve.

Yawn. They need to grow the hell up. We all have to work with people we hate and force a smile and get the hell on with it. Letting down fans like that is completely out of order. He should at least have honoured the gigs within the near future that people had spent a lot of time and money making arrangements for. Noel Gallagher is officially my 'Cunt of the Week'.

I'm sure he's arsed.

Guest ian garro
It's very sad, but I suppose it was inevitable at the same time.

There's more to meets the eye with Noel Gallagher and I, for one, can't wait to find out what he's got up his sleeve.

Is right - great post.