You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Noel Gallagher quits Oasis

Mendoza

Absolute bollocks. There were some fucking brilliant bands in the 90's yet Oasis managed to top them all. I think people like to be seen not to like Oasis. Forget what you think of them as people and listen to the music. They released a b-side album that managed to be one of the best albums of the decade for fuck sake. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Absolute bollocks. There were some fucking brilliant bands in the 90's yet Oasis managed to top them all. I think people like to be seen not to like Oasis. Forget what you think of them as people and listen to the music. They released a b-side album that managed to be one of the best albums of the decade for fuck sake. 

They also recorded be here now which was bloated bollocks.

they were good, but I preferred the Manics at Maine Road - and I’d never really been into the much.

also best albums of the decade? In what genre? Because the world didn’t revolve around guitars in the nineties.

i’d say master plan compares well to moby’s play - some really fucking good songs, seemed to capture the zeitgeist, but got played to death.

part of the issue with Oasis and longevity is that every cunt with a guitar started singing wonder wall in ale houses, it’s all just become quite jaded 20 years later.

8 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Only to Oasis fans!

The reason loads of people give Oasis fans short shrift is because most of them believe that Oasis were one of the greatest bands of all time, when they couldn't be further from that.

Just now, Arthur Friedenreich said:

They also recorded be here now which was bloated bollocks.

they were good, but I preferred the Manics at Maine Road - and I’d never really been into the much.

also best albums of the decade? In what genre? Because the world didn’t revolve around guitars in the nineties.

i’d say master plan compares well to moby’s play - some really fucking good songs, seemed to capture the zeitgeist, but got played to death.

part of the issue with Oasis and longevity is that every cunt with a guitar started singing wonder wall in ale houses, it’s all just become quite jaded 20 years later.

I agree. I don't particularly like that song and haven't for years because of that very reason.

Be Here Now was ace. People just expected a step up from Whats The Story and that wasn't ever going to happen. Their first 2 albums are as good as anything this country has ever released. And I include The Beatles, Bowie and the Rolling Stones in that. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Bjornebye said:

I agree. I don't particularly like that song and haven't for years because of that very reason.

Be Here Now was ace. People just expected a step up from Whats The Story and that wasn't ever going to happen. Their first 2 albums are as good as anything this country has ever released. And I include The Beatles, Bowie and the Rolling Stones in that. 

There's some good songs on Definitely Maybe, but a lot of dross too.  It'd make a cracking EP.

5 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Their first 2 albums are as good as anything this country has ever released. And I include The Beatles, Bowie and the Rolling Stones in that. 

Palpable bollocks.

They haven't aged well at all. Some catchy glam-rock riffs with a load of "think of the first thing that rhymes" lyrics.  And that's it. No depth. No intelligence. No originality. No nuance. There's nothing there to reward a second listen.

I'm not even sure I'd rate them alongside the best that Manchester has ever released. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Their first 2 albums are as good as anything this country has ever released. 

Fuck me

Not even close to to a lot of stuff released by other bands

Led Zeppelin IV blows anything they every did out the water on its own

Thats before you start looking at Floyd,Sabbath,Maiden,Clapton,Beatles back catalogues 

Love 'em or loathe 'em I don't really care. For me the first two albums are fucking brilliant and the early B-sides, those included on Masterplan and more are amazing. They did a lot of dross but some pearls after that too but whatever, each to their own.

Couple of things that get me are:

1: People trying to make out you are musically retarded if you like them. I fucking love them, always have. I love loads of other stuff I grew up on more like Smokey Robinson and Marvin Gaye but you don't have to be tied down to one type of music. The point above about people thinking they're the best band ever is easily met by some people thinking if you like Oasis then you can't appreciate other music or you don't know what really good music is. 

2: People saying they are a bad Beatles cover band. The vast, vast majority of their stuff doesn't sound like The Beatles. They're more like Slade if anything. And, related to that point, so what if they do sound like them anyway? Nearly every band going sounds like other bands and has ripped material off. But it seems to be a cardinal sin for Oasis but never mentioned with others. I mean I love Springsteen more than Oasis but who gives him shit for ripping the Animals off? No one at all.

Or Radiohead for ripping off The Beatles?

If you don't like them then that's fine and I'm not really arsed. But the double standards applied to them and the sort of stigma attached to liking them is fucking weird in my opinion.

• Upvote 4

41 minutes ago, razor said:

Showaddywaddy were there in the 70s, doing anodyne versions of rock standards.  Oasis were there in the 90s, doing anodyne versions of rock standards.

Dave Bartram 1979 > Noel Gallagher 1999

Jesus, I'm no Oasis fan (as I may have mentioned) but that's harsh!

Astute, but harsh.

Be Here Now is one of the most underrated albums of all time.  It’s one of those things people just go into auto-slag off mode but probably haven’t even listened to it.  It’s better than most bands best albums but is probably their 4th best. If anyone has slagged it to me I always ask them which songs they don’t like and they can never name one.

Oasis were a fucking great band with 2 outstanding albums back to back followed by two really good ones.  It’s was downhill from there really but they still produced the odd banger.  They were good live and unlike a lot of twat bands they always played a large amount of their classics instead of just playing new stuff.

Regardless of what he’s turned into Noel is actually hilarious.  He’s always been witty and likeable.  I think people bought into the fact they were working class lads instead of manufactured shite which was at its peak in the 90’s.  If you think Echo and the bunnymen produced better albums you’re absolutely tone deaf in my opinion.

The main problem with what he’s saying about Corbyn is that it’s the same shite that you see written and said by tories.  “He’s a communist.  He’s a lunatic”. No he’s not.  He’s just left wing and the main specific difference with him and every other politician that’s been in a position of power is that he wants to put the tax up on high earners.  Unless you’re going to come up with an explanation of why he’s a lunatic then you’re going to appear like a fucking Tory and Noel deserves all the pelters he gets for coming out with that shite.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

People can like whatever they want, there are loads of reasons to enjoy music beyond the purely technical aspect. I listen to loads of shit that could be considered musically basic. Oasis can bash out a decent tune, no doubt, but on the whole their sound is quite palatable but unoriginal and there’s absolutely nothing special about them as musicians. They capture a moment in time for lots of people, they should be praised for that; but musically, not that interesting. Just how I see it. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

34 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

Fuck me

Not even close to to a lot of stuff released by other bands

Led Zeppelin IV blows anything they every did out the water on its own

Thats before you start looking at Floyd,Sabbath,Maiden,Clapton,Beatles back catalogues 

... Stones, Who, Kinks, Bowie, Roxy, Pistols, Clash, Buzzcocks, Jam, Joy Division, New Order, Peter Gabriel, Echo & the Bunnymen, Ian Mcnabb, Eurythmics, Ultravox!, Smiths, Primal Scream, Stone Roses, Radiohead, Pulp, Specials, Ian Dury, etc. etc.

It's really not hard to come up with British artists who have released better albums than those spawny Manc twats.

Oasis did get lucky with their timing and so became a fair bit bigger and more long-lived than if they'd popped up in another era.

There is an art to writing a simple pop tune though, and they had about an albums worth of good catchy guitar numbers spread over their first two albums and the Masterplan record.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

... Stones, Who, Kinks, Bowie, Roxy, Pistols, Clash, Buzzcocks, Jam, Joy Division, New Order, Peter Gabriel, Echo & the Bunnymen, Ian Mcnabb, Eurythmics, Ultravox!, Smiths, Primal Scream, Stone Roses, Radiohead, Pulp, Specials, Ian Dury, etc. etc.

It's really not hard to come up with British artists who have released better albums than those spawny Manc twats.

I'm with Mook in that i just find them uninspiring 

Nothing moves me in their music, but then music is so subjective that it doesn't mean they are terrible. I just find them a strange band to plant your flag and defend them. As i have said i thought the whole genre was poor and just a backlash over the manufactured shite coming out this country. A poor version of the grunge movement in the US from a few years before. The difference for me is them older bands where truly revolutionary in the music buisness and laid down types of music that has been copied for years. If what we hear today is what they influeneced it pretty poor showing. And before anyone says anything yes i know the british invasion in the 60s was heavily influenced by older rock n roll and blues musician.

off topic a bit but

Its pretty weird to me that we has a generation of dissatisfied/disenchanted youth and yet you are seeing very little music coming out with much meaning. You think of the rebellion on everything in the 60s with rock music,hippies,free love etc that ended up crushed. Then the late 70s-mid 80s rise of punk movement and hip hop starting to show and the political music of the NWA,Gil Scott-Heron. Public Enemy. Yet know it just feels dead on the whole,so many eating up the meaningless,manufactored shite

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

I'm with Mook in that i just find them uninspiring 

Nothing moves me in their music, but then music is so subjective that it doesn't mean they are terrible. I just find them a strange band to plant your flag and defend them. As i have said i thought the whole genre was poor and just a backlash over the manufactured shite coming out this country. A poor version of the grunge movement in the US from a few years before. The difference for me is them older bands where truly revolutionary in the music buisness and laid down types of music that has been copied for years. If what we hear today is what they influeneced it pretty poor showing. And before anyone says anything yes i know the british invasion in the 60s was heavily influenced by older rock n roll and blues musician.

off topic a bit but

Its pretty weird to me that we has a generation of dissatisfied/disenchanted youth and yet you are seeing very little music coming out with much meaning. You think of the rebellion on everything in the 60s with rock music,hippies,free love etc that ended up crushed. Then the late 70s-mid 80s rise of punk movement and hip hop starting to show and the political music of the NWA,Gil Scott-Heron. Public Enemy. Yet know it just feels dead on the whole,so many eating up the meaningless,manufactored shite

The internet is really good for finding music that you know you want, or trying out new stuff without having to buy it, but it's fractured the mainstream music culture.  Scenes used to bubble away for awhile before getting picked up by the mainstream and become movements, or having a real cultural impact.

The infrastructure just isn't there for that to happen in the same way.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Arthur Friedenreich said:

Of the same era: ladies and gentlemen we are floating in space is sonically superior to any of the oasis back catalogue, not quite as get out the old banjo for a sing song, but fuck me its aged better as well.

As a Le Batteau man, I know you have this on 12"....

1 hour ago, The Guest said:

Be Here Now is one of the most underrated albums of all time.

I suppose the equivalent to this is something like, "I haven't seen a Federico Fellini or Akiro Kurosawa film, nor any East European films of the 1960s, but for me Ghost with Patrick Swayze is probably the most underrated film of all time."

"For me, Duty Free is one of the most underrated television programmes of all time."

1 hour ago, Bjornebye said:

Their first 2 albums are as good as anything this country has ever released. And I include The Beatles, Bowie and the Rolling Stones in that. 

Stig, this is why we love you!  Don't you go changing, fella!

• Upvote 2

Elbow are one of the best bands ever to come from Manchester and instantly dismisses by loads of people who have only heard about 2 of thier tracks.. They have a seriously good catalogue, lyrically brilliant and musically excellent.

Oasis were great for the time. Some really brilliant albums but not much depth to anything they made to be honest. 

9 hours ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

Palpable bollocks.

They haven't aged well at all. Some catchy glam-rock riffs with a load of "think of the first thing that rhymes" lyrics.  And that's it. No depth. No intelligence. No originality. No nuance. There's nothing there to reward a second listen.

I'm not even sure I'd rate them alongside the best that Manchester has ever released. 

The Hollies >Oasis.

• Upvote 1