You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Noel Gallagher quits Oasis

Mendoza

18 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

You've raised an interesting point actually, not about Curtis but the right wing musicians thing, I’d not thought of it before but you can add Ferry to the list, also although I’m not a fan Clapton and Gary Numan are two others, also wasn’t/isn’t Dylan a supporter of the state of Israel, you would have to think so given the lyrics to Neighbourhood bully and also his reluctance to do Live Aid and his insistence of making it in part about the plight of American farmers, might be totally wrong on this one but wasn’t there also some suggestion Neil Young was right leaning, could be talking out of my hoop on that one like but without googling I seem to remember something.

The Neil Young thing stems from some snarky remarks he made in one interview in the 1980s. He's since gone on to lend support to  - and make music about - plenty of social justice, anti-war and environmental campaigns. 

Dylan's politics, like his music, have wavered all over the place for 55 years. Any time any group is ready to claim him as one of their own, he flies off in the opposite direction. 

Clapton had a public racist rant at the height of his alcoholism in the 70s (which famously prompted the formation of Rock Against Racism). He completely repudiates and regrets that now.

For the most part, I'm happy to separate the person from their music*. Some talented people are twats and some really lovely people make bland and awful music.

(*I admit that might not always be as straightforward as that: for example, I've always thought that Neighbourhood Bully and Union Sundown were the worst tracks on Infidels: consciously because they have the least subtle lyrics and crap tunes; at a subconscious level, probably because I think they are politically shit.)

14 minutes ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

Look, if you're to the left of May you're a commie, to the right of Corbyn a Tory. If that polarising view isn't carpet bombed across the internet ad nauseum we'll never reach peak voter apathy.

You Tory cunt.

I preferred Tory can’t. 

But your edit edit is correct. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

The Neil Young thing stems from some snarky remarks he made in one interview in the 1980s. He's since gone on to lend support to  - and make music about - plenty of social justice, anti-war and environmental campaigns. 

Dylan's politics, like his music, have wavered all over the place for 55 years. Any time any group is ready to claim him as one of their own, he flies off in the opposite direction. 

Clapton had a public racist rant at the height of his alcoholism in the 70s (which famously prompted the formation of Rock Against Racism). He completely repudiates and regrets that now.

For the most part, I'm happy to separate the person from their music*. Some talented people are twats and some really lovely people make bland and awful music.

(*I admit that might not always be as straightforward as that: for example, I've always thought that Neighbourhood Bully and Union Sundown were the worst tracks on Infidels: consciously because they have the least subtle lyrics and crap tunes; at a subconscious level, probably because I think they are politically shit.)

Good reply thanks for taking the time,  I couldn’t remember the Neil Young thing I just remember that there was something, I didn’t know it was that long ago,  with regard to Clapton I’m sure he did regret what was the most appalling rant but you would have to suggest that that came from somewhere, alcoholic or no.

Dylan, yeah, I agree, very hard to figure out where he’s coming from , also Nick Cave has massively upset the left by playing Israel but with that said if there’s one man who could not give a single fuck what anybody thinks it’s probably Nick Cave. Queen as well now I think about it.

I just think the point Cloggy made was suspect, in fact I think it’s wrong.

Just now, cloggypop said:

Captain Howdy listens to Phil Collins and Gary Numan. 

Aww man who doesn’t? Ha I didn’t even bother listing Collins such is my, let’s call it indifference to his music, as for Numan I think he’s shite but he gets a mention for writing one of the greatest songs of all time.

2 hours ago, Captain Howdy said:

You've raised an interesting point actually, not about Curtis but the right wing musicians thing, I’d not thought of it before but you can add Ferry to the list, also although I’m not a fan Clapton and Gary Numan are two others, also wasn’t/isn’t Dylan a supporter of the state of Israel, you would have to think so given the lyrics to Neighbourhood bully and also his reluctance to do Live Aid and his insistence of making it in part about the plight of American farmers, might be totally wrong on this one but wasn’t there also some suggestion Neil Young was right leaning, could be talking out of my hoop on that one like but without googling I seem to remember something.

It's a load of bollocks, plenty of right wingers & tories have made amazing music. A person's politics has zero bearing on their talent as a musician.

I've only just noticed Captain Howdy's avatar. Velvet Underground live 1969. A fantastic album, What Goes On being possibly the highlight for me. It is a very strange choice for an avatar however as it also has one of the worst album art sleeves ever. I'm not sure if there's a worse pairing of terrible cover / fantastic music within. 

I'm unsure whether I should rep or neg it but luckily for me Dave removed the option. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, cloggypop said:

I've only just noticed Captain Howdy's avatar. Velvet Underground live 1969. A fantastic album, What Goes On being possibly the highlight for me. It is a very strange choice for an avatar however as it also has one of the worst album art sleeves ever. I'm not sure if there's a worse pairing of terrible cover / fantastic music within. 

I'm unsure whether I should rep or neg it but luckily for me Dave removed the option. 

I absolutely love that album, I honestly listened to it constantly for about 3 years in my early twenties, like you say What goes on is just sublime, also Heroin, New Age,  Lisa says, pale blue eyes, just a great, great album.

1 minute ago, Captain Howdy said:

I absolutely love that album, I honestly listened to it constantly for about 3 years in my early twenties, like you say What goes on is just sublime, also Heroin, New Age,  Lisa says, pale blue eyes, just a great, great album.

I nearly didn't buy it because of the cover.