You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Noel Gallagher quits Oasis

Mendoza

7 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

OK, I get it Slade and Sweet were both better than Oasis.

What about The Quo*, are they an acceptable Oasis comparrison?

*I love 'Pictures of Matchstick Men'

I reckon Oasis were more just a sort of generic glam rock sounding sort of band. All the bands being discussed stand up to some sort of comparison with them. Whether someone thinks Slade were better than Oasis probably depends on if they are Stig or not.

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

OK, I get it Slade and Sweet were both better than Oasis.

What about The Quo*, are they an acceptable Oasis comparrison?

*I love 'Pictures of Matchstick Men'

Pictures of Matchstick Men, Ice in the Sun were fine by me, but I preferred stuff like Paper Plane, Caroline, Down Down, Again and Again, Mystery Song etc if I'm honest, but I couldn't say I was 'into' them, just like I wasn't 'into' Oasis.

I bought a couple of albums, but I don't think I've played them in 15 years.

A tad overhyped with too much emphasis on the bad boy image. 

Ok for teenage lads at the time, (at least it's guitar based), but that's about it for me.

13 minutes ago, Harry's Lad said:

Pictures of Matchstick Men, Ice in the Sun were fine by me, but I preferred stuff like Paper Plane, Caroline, Down Down, Again and Again, Mystery Song etc if I'm honest, but I couldn't say I was 'into' them, just like I wasn't 'into' Oasis.

I bought a couple of albums, but I don't think I've played them in 15 years.

A tad overhyped with too much emphasis on the bad boy image. 

Ok for teenage lads at the time, (at least it's guitar based), but that's about it for me.

One of the most beautiful things I've learned from life is that Rick Parfit spent a lifetime trying to learn the Bossanova 'Girl From Ipanema' and never managed it, yet he was rhythm guitarist in one of the biggest bands on the planet.

You got to love the fact that a person who couldn't even get the basics right of their trade yet goes on to earn millions of pounds and an equal amount of adulation just by being a decent guy who could string a few cords together, humble to the last.

The people that ripped him off could learn a thing or two...

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Harry's Lad said:

Slade were boss at their peak. Their gigs at that time must have been fantastic, proper raucous good time stuff.

Slade unfortunately will forever be known for making the best Christmas record ever…Which is a shame as they made some cracking tunes and Slave Alive! is one of the really great live albums 

14 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

One of the most beautiful things I've learned from life is that Rick Parfit spent a lifetime trying to learn the Bossanova 'Girl From Ipanema' and never managed it, yet he was rhythm guitarist in one of the biggest bands on the planet.

You got to love the fact that a person who couldn't even get the basics right of their trade yet goes on to earn millions of pinds and an equal amout of adulation just by being a decent gut who could string a few cords together, humble to the last.

The people that ripped him off could learn a thing or two...

They were great at what they did, nobody could ever deny that.

The only thing I ever bought of theirs though was a compilation.

5 hours ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

Talentless Tory twat.

In fairness, he's got a talent for ripping off glam rock riffs.

The least said about his lyrics, the better. How can you write that many songs without coming up with a single non-shit line; I mean, monkeys and typewriters and that.

2 hours ago, Section_31 said:

If they'd walked into a pub in Liverpool as unknowns back then they'd have been laughed out of town.

2 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

They pretty much did and walked out with one of the most defining albums of a decade. 

Shit, was it them who nicked my early CD copy of "Dare!" from the Jacaranda in 1992?

• Upvote 1