You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Noel Gallagher quits Oasis

Mendoza

Noel Gallagher says he has quit Oasis, claiming he could not go on working with brother Liam "a day longer".

The announcement came just hours after the band cancelled their second gig in a week.

In a statement on the band's website, Noel said: "It's with some sadness and great relief to tell you that I quit Oasis tonight.

"People will write and say what they like, but I simply could not go on working with Liam a day longer.

"Apologies to all the people who bought tickets for the shows in Paris, Konstanz and Milan."

The band were expected to perform at the Rock en Seine festival in Paris this evening.

But the crowd were told by Bloc Party, who were due to perform before Oasis, the Manchester band would not be taking the stage.

Some fans thought it was a joke - until the big screens at either side of the stage displayed the message: "As a result of an altercation within the band, the Oasis gig has been cancelled."

Ben Clover, 28, who travelled from south London for the festival, said: "There are a lot of British Oasis fans who have come over for this gig and they are very disappointed."

Last weekend Oasis pulled out of the V Festival in Chelmsford which they were meant to headline.

British singer Liam Gallagher of music band Oasis

No love lost: Front man Liam

The band cancelled because front man Liam was struck down with viral laryngitis.

But their non-appearance sparked rumours they were set to split.

Earlier this month Liam revealed his turbulent relationship with Noel was so bad that they no longer speak, limiting their contact to exchanging insults on Twitter.

Liam told the NME: "He doesn't like me and I don't like him, that's it.

"He hasn't told me what he thinks of anything this year. We've got nothing to say to each other at the moment."

Oasis fans have taken to Twitter to express their dismay at Noel's departure.

PsychedelicAdam said: "Noel Gallagher leaves Oasis? Gutted, no more Oasis then I guess, they were one of my favourite bands."

Wolvolass posted: "I feel sick, sooo many good memories and gigs seeing Oasis over the years."

MattGriffin added: "This is the worst day ever."

Noel Gallagher Splits From Oasis Following Feud With Liam | Showbiz News | Sky News

I feel like crying. All good things come to an end though. They have given me so many fantastic memories though and I will always associate their albums with different stages good and bad in my life over the past 15 years.

I hope this isn't the end for Noel and his brilliant talents though. The guy is a demi-god to me.

I have seen them seven times live and some of the gigs were truly awe inspiring.

Anyone who knows me will know my love of Oasis. I suppose it was fitting the last time I seen them live was in Liverpool.

• Upvote 1

I feel like crying. All good things come to an end though. They have given me so many fantastic memories though and I will always associate their albums with different stages good and bad in my life over the past 15 years.

I hope this isn't the end for Noel and his brilliant talents though. The guy is a demi-god to me.

Your the first person i thought of when I heard this. Gutted.

Thank fuck for that.

I've been waiting for a while for this to happen hoping that going solo might spark Noel back into action and get him writing some decent singer-songwriter stuff on his own, and do something a bit more interesting that their recent stuff which, in my opinion, has been gash. Hopefully we'll get chance to see if he can now.

Inevitable I'm afraid but Noel's solo stuff should be good.

I'm not sure I'd say it should be good, I think it could be good. He still hasn't really managed to get away from the fact that he wrote some great songs about being poor and directionless but has struggled to write since he got away from those scenes.

I'm not sure I'd say it should be good, I think it could be good. He still hasn't really managed to get away from the fact that he wrote some great songs about being poor and directionless but has struggled to write since he got away from those scenes.

There will be millions out there tonight who disagree with that. They didn't try and be something they weren't. If you want to go into all that psycho analysis of their music I think you are doing it to the wrong band Stu. Try it with Radiohead or someone. I listen to some of the stuff on the last two albums especially and it is as good as anything he ever wrote. Fresh, new and inventive especially with the not inconsiderable talents of Gem and Andy Bell.

I have seen them seven times live and some of the gigs were truly awe inspiring.

Anyone who knows me will know my love of Oasis. I suppose it was fitting the last time I seen them live was in Liverpool.

I know how you feel mate, I'm fucking gutted aswell.

Whilst I'll miss Liam, as he's an awesome frontman, Noel has much more talented - the vocals, fantastic guitar player and rights some great lyrics. He'll have an album out within the next two years I reckon.

Made up I finally got to see them before they split up.

Guest TK-421

Get over it, mofos. What are your favourite Oasis songs? For me it's Talk Tonight followed by Supersonic.

I'm going to play Talk Tonight on my music box in tribute.

There will be millions out there tonight who disagree with that. They didn't try and be something they weren't. If you want to go into all that psycho analysis of their music I think you are doing it to the wrong band Stu. Try it with Radiohead or someone. I listen to some of the stuff on the last two albums especially and it is as good as anything he ever wrote. Fresh, new and inventive especially with the not inconsiderable talents of Gem and Andy Bell.

Of course there will John. But there'll be millions who also absolutely loved Definitely Maybe and then watched as a great band kept producing diminishing returns on the same theme. They'll think there was nothing new and inventive about them and that they would have liked them to have done something more interesting but didn't. That's music isn't it; and that's opinions for you.

My heart does go out to big Oasis fans though. If one of the bands I loved broke up, and you thought they weren't going to make any new stuff, then I'd be gutted.

But, if I may be so mischevious as to suggest it, if you want to know what another two or three Oasis albums would have sounded like then I'd suggest listening to the last two or three again; they'd sound like that.