You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

NFL Discussion and Fantasy League thread

odris

Jake Ballard: New England Patriots' Decision to Sign Tight End Makes No Sense

The New England Patriots claimed injured tight end Jake Ballard on waivers after he was cut by the New York Giants.

Blake Baratz, Ballard's agent, announced the news via Twitter:

Blake Baratz@the_ifa

As I stated yesterday a "smart" football organization might claim @NYG_J_Ballard85 while he's hurt to own his rights. He's now a Patriot!

12 Jun 12

Ballard went undrafted in 2010, and the New York Giants signed him soon after. He was productive in his second season and caught 38 passes for 604 yards and four touchdowns.

At 6'6" and 275 pounds, Ballard has great size for the positionm and he is remarkably athletic for such a large athlete, which makes him a threat in the passing game.

As Michael David Smith of ProFootballTalk notes, Ballard had microfracture surgery in the offseason and is unlikely to play at all this year. The Giants decided to waive him, likely believing that no one would claim him and they would be able to retain his services after he recovered from his injury.

This plan backfired, though, when New England decided to bring Ballard on board.

The Patriots already have two of the most talented tight ends in the league. Rob Gronkowski caught balls for 1,327 yards and 17 touchdowns last year--both of which are NFL records for a tight end, and he is just 23 years old.

Aaron Hernandez, meanwhile, finished with 910 yards receiving and seven touchdown catches. And he is just 22 years old.

Ballard is only 24, and there is no question he is talented. He will come very cheap as well, at just $540,000, according to David Smith.

However, he also takes up a roster spot and will almost certainly not play at all this year. Additionally, he will need to be re-signed after this season.

All the Pats did with this move was waste a roster spot to get the inside track on signing a third-string tight end.

Strange move,could be a stroke of genius though.

I wonder if Hernandez will be trade bait for next years draft or if the plan to use him more as a RB like the Saints use Sproles.He would be a match up nightmare as a back.

Lloyd Wide over the top threat

Welker slot reciever

Gronk -Ballard TE

Hernandez RB

Patriots were carrying 3 or 4 tightends last season as well. Hernandez won't be traded (especially with his versatility), their's no need to. Ballard will be on IR anyway which means, I think, injury permitting you can take him off IR anytime between week 6 and week 13. If one of the two main TE's go down and he's fit it makes sense to have him in your pocket.

At the end of this season he'll be an Exclusive rights free agent so we get first dibs again next year.

Think it's win win.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Gamepass prices have been revealed and it's a fucking bargain compared to previous years!

£130 for the Season Plus pass

£100 for the Season pass

£85 for the Team pass

I'll be going for the £130 one at the end of the month because it lasts for a whole year so I'll get next years combine and draft in their too.

https://gamepass.nfl.com/nflgp/secure/packages?ttv=4&ttp=3&ccfeatures=true

Saw that too odris. Think I'll go for the Team pass.

(Don't see the Vikings going to the playoffs this season either, so pass on the season pass...)

Doesn't NFL.com show the draft free on their site? Maybe just the later rounds?

The NFL does show the combine SMS draft online free but if you get the £130 package you get BFL network for a year.Really good IMO, I have it on to watch the build up Sunday afternoon.

If you live in the UK the game pass package does not include redzone and will have any Sunday sky games blacked out for 6 days though this is subject to change when sky and the Nfl agree a new deal for next year.You will get all the preseason.

You won't get the playoffs or Super Bowl if you live in the UK either as they will be blacked out.

Canr wait

Who is everyone early pick for each division/conference/champions?

NFC

North

Green Bay

South

Tampa(sadly)

East

Giants

West

49's

Most improved/Surprise

Tampa Bay

AFC

North

Ravens

South

Texans

East

Pats

West

Kansas

Most Improved/Surprise

Bengals/Titans

NFC Winners

49's

AFC Winners

Patriots

Super Bowl

49's

Number 1 pick in 2013

Vikings

Who is everyone early pick for each division/conference/champions?

Disagree on two divisional winners there. Giants and Buccs. Think the Eagles might actually click well this year sadly and I'd proper fancy Cowboys to be finish above Giants. Just the Eagles for it at this minute though.

The whole NFC South is a bit random, like. Saints will suffer through all their offseason troubles and like of any top end draft selections. Falcons are a tidy outfit without being elite. Panthers have a lot of young talent but that defense still needs upgrading. Buccs are similar to the Falcons but I don't think as good. I'd not be overally shocked to see any of the four land the divisional crown but I'm going for the Falcons right now. That may very well change during the camps/preseason.

Most improved - I like a lot of what the Titans are doing apart from the seemingly inane decision not to be starting Locker in week one next year. I really like the Bills to cause some shocks and be there or there abouts in the playoff race. That front 7 could cause absolute carnage.

Over on the NFC side of things, I'm leaning towards the Bears and Seahawks as improved sides. The QB trio of Flynn, Jackson and Wilson is massively intriguing although I'm of the opinion that Wilson could be their starter if their season doesn't start that well.

As for the Super Bowl, Ravens over Eagles/Cowboys (depending on who wins out the NFC East.

And picking first in 2013 will be the Raiders. Said Vikings the other week but feeling more positive about them in recent weeks despite the nagging doubts over the status of AP!

Please The Mighty Browns went with Richardson instead.

Are you happy with getting Josh Gordon in the supplement draft?

Loose your second rounder next year.

He has great measurables but his off field issue are a risk as is his lack of time in the college ranks.

Potential bad news for the Broncos

AROUND THE LEAGUE

Police: Elvis Dumervil arrested for aggravated assault

+SHARE

Trouble for the Denver Broncos out of Miami, where defensive end Elvis Dumervil was arrested on Saturday night, according to KCNC-TV in Denver.

According to the police report, Dumervil is accused of aggravated assault with a firearm. His bond was set at $7,500.

There are no other details at this time about the events leading to the arrest, but the Broncos have released a statement on the matter:

"Our organization is aware of the matter and is continuing to gather the facts. This is a very serious allegation, and we will thoroughly review the details while the legal process runs its course."

Dumervil signed a six-year, $61.5 million contract extension following the 2009 season, in which he recorded 17.0 sacks and was named to the Pro Bowl. The former fourth-round pick missed the 2010 season with a torn pectoral but recorded 31 tackles and 9.5 sacks last season.

We'll have more on this as it develops.

By Dan Hanzus

Published: July 15, 2012 at 12:26 PM

Modified: July 15, 2012 at 12:38 PM

Agent seems to think he will get off

AROUND THE LEAGUE

Elvis Dumervil charged on felony aggravated assault

+SHARE

With training camp just weeks away, the Denver Broncos suddenly have a serious concern on their hands following the arrest of defensive end Elvis Dumervil in Miami Beach, Fla., on Saturday night.

According to the police report, Dumervil is accused of aggravated assault with a firearm. His bond was set at $7,500, -- according to KCNC-TV in Denver .

Dumervil was released from Miami-Dade County jail at approximately 3 a.m. on Sunday, NFL Network confirmed.

Miami Beach Police Department Det. Vivian Hernandez told The Associated Press on Sunday that Dumervil and another man were arrested in Miami Beach.

UPDATE: Hernandez confirmed to NFL.com and NFL Network on Monday that Dumervil has been charged with aggravated assault with a deadly weapon.

According to a victim's statement in the incident report, obtained by NFL.com, during a traffic incident the victim's vehicle, a Mercedes merged in front of a Land Rover, operated by Dumervil in stopped traffic.

Both parties became agitated, made threats at one and other and honked their horns, according to the report. A passenger from the Land Rover, identified as Andy Auguste in the police report, then allegedly approached the victim's car, made verbal threats and lifted his shirt displaying a firearm. Dumervil also exited his vehicle and approached her vehicle where lifted his shirt and also displayed a firearm, according to the report.

The victim, who said she was in fear of her life, then attempted to retreat by driving off.

Dumervil could face up to five years in prison if convicted, according to Florida law.

The Broncos released a statement on Sunday:

"Our organization is aware of the matter and is continuing to gather the facts. This is a very serious allegation, and we will thoroughly review the details while the legal process runs its course."

Dumervil signed a six-year, $61.5 million contract extension following the 2009 season, in which he recorded 17 sacks and was named to the Pro Bowl and earned first-team All-Pro recognition. The 28-year-old missed the 2010 season with a torn pectoral but recorded 31 tackles and 9.5 sacks last season.

Dumervil had a legal run-in during the 2010 season and was initially charged with assault and disturbing the peace after an altercation with a parking-lot attendant at Invesco Field in Denver before a Broncos game. The charges were later dismissed.

UPDATE: Dumervil's agent, Marty Magid, told NFL.com in an email, "No charges have been filed against Elvis. No assault took place. It is likely that when the police have completed their investigation, no charges will be filed against Elvis."