You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

NFL Discussion and Fantasy League thread

odris

25 minutes ago, Jose Jones said:

Apparently they had a name in mind, but some fella had already trademarked loads of different Washington team names and now is gouging them for loads of spondoolies to buy it off him.  Obviously they didn't offer enough spondoolies.

south-park-season-18-trailer.40.2620PM.png

That may be true, but it sure sounds like Daniel Snyder is just thumbing his nose at the NFL and waiting to see what happens in the elections.

You just know Trump will sort things out if he wins. Snyder is on record as saying just last year that he would never ever consider changing the name.

Donald Trump has such a hard-on for the NFL ever since he was owner of the New Jersey Generals of the USFL in the 80's. Before the league was disbanded, he was hoping they would become an NFL franchise.

They obviously found him unfit and improper as an owner, and of course he's never ever forgotten this.

3 hours ago, neko said:

That may be true, but it sure sounds like Daniel Snyder is just thumbing his nose at the NFL and waiting to see what happens in the elections.

You just know Trump will sort things out if he wins. Snyder is on record as saying just last year that he would never ever consider changing the name.

Donald Trump has such a hard-on for the NFL ever since he was owner of the New Jersey Generals of the USFL in the 80's. Before the league was disbanded, he was hoping they would become an NFL franchise.

They obviously found him unfit and improper as an owner, and of course he's never ever forgotten this.

Wasn't it a load of sponsors threatening to stop doing business with them if they stayed as the Redskins?  Rather than the NFL telling him to change the name.

I guess Trump could try and make that illegal I suppose, but a bit impossible to police I would have thought.

Guest Pistonbroke
3 hours ago, Jose Jones said:

Wasn't it a load of sponsors threatening to stop doing business with them if they stayed as the Redskins?  Rather than the NFL telling him to change the name.

I guess Trump could try and make that illegal I suppose, but a bit impossible to police I would have thought.

Yes, it was Pepsi, Nike, Fed Ex and Bank of America. Last week companies such as Amazon and Walmart removed all merchandise with the team name and Logo. When I started following them in 92 I didn't know about their shady past, plus I've never been a fan as such, just chose a team so as to follow the game and results with my mate who is a huge NFL fan. Whilst the franchise was under the ownership of, Marshall he believed in racial segregation and they were the last team to let a Black player onto the roster in 62, only because the Government at the time were going to revoke the lease on their Stadium. 

Guest Pistonbroke
3 minutes ago, neko said:

Yeah, you're right, but if Trump were to win this year all will be forgotten.

I really really hate the Foreskins.

I'm not sure it would go down well, plus it would look really bad on Washington if they reversed their decision having made a big deal of it. Plus doesn't Trump follow the Pats? 

Trump doesn't follow anything. He just wants to destroy the NFL for not letting him in their club.

I'm talking shit about the name change, but seriously, how hard would it have been to pick a new name ? Calling them the Washington Football Team is just out of spite, I think. No Republican billionaire owner is going to like being told what to do.

This is good....

https://time.com/5392916/donald-trump-usfl-football-for-a-buck/

Back in the mid-1980s, people who worked with Donald Trump didn’t write anonymous op-eds for the New York Times to criticize his workplace habits. They sent letters right to the source.

“While others may be able to let your insensitive and denigrating comments pass, I no longer will,” wrote John Bassett, owner of the Tampa Bay Bandits — a United States Football League (USFL) team — in an August 16, 1984 letter to Trump. Bassett had begun his missive complimenting Trump, owner of the USFL’s New Jersey Generals, for his contributions to the fledgling league and stewardship of the Generals. Then he lights into the future 45th president of United States. “You are bigger, younger, and stronger than I, which means I’ll have no regrets whatsoever punching you right in the mouth the next time an instance occurs where you personally scorn me, or anyone else, who does not happen to salute and dance to your tune,” Bassett writes. “I really hope you don’t know you are doing it, but you are not only damaging yourself with your associates, but alienating them as well.”

Author Jeff Pearlman includes Bassett’s missive at the front of his engrossing, eerily relevant new book, Football For A Buck, which chronicles the life and death of the USFL, an upstart operation that offered pro football in the spring from 1983 through 1985. The USFL suspended operations after Trump led a charge to move the schedule to the fall and compete head-to-head with the mighty NFL.

According to Football For A Buck, Trump’s reportedly erratic and self-serving behavior in office, highlighted recently in Bob Woodward’s new book Fear and the Times op-ed from an unnamed senior administration official, was foreshadowed by his tenure in the USFL. He fudged facts, for example declaring that former NFL commissioner Pete Rozelle told him that he wished Trump had bought the NFL’s Baltimore Colts. Rozelle testified in court that he never said such a thing: in fact, according to Pearlman’s reporting, Rozelle told Trump in a meeting “Mr. Trump, as long as I or my heirs are involved in the NFL, you will never be a franchise owner in the league.”

The USFL got off to a promising start in 1983. Ratings were decent, enthusiasm was growing, and the league had a plan: don’t chase too much, too soon. But almost immediately after buying the Generals in 1984, no warning to USFL leaders, Trump started making waves about moving to the USFL schedule to the fall and taking on the NFL directly. Such a strategy didn’t make much sense. After its inaugural season, the USFL wasn’t a proven commodity. The NFL, not to mention the college and even high school games that captured the attention of millions of fans, would surely crush another pro league, many USFL owners and executives worried. Trump didn’t push the fall move because it was in the best interests of the USFL. Pearlman’s reporting shows that he wanted to force the NFL to take notice him, and welcome his team – or just him – into the league.

“Donald didn’t love the USFL,” Houston Gamblers owner Jerry Argovitz told Pearlman. The Gamblers, with their innovative, pass-happy “Run And Shoot” offense, launched the career of Jim Kelly, the Hall of Fame quarterback who eventually led the Buffalo Bills to four straight Super Bowl appearances. “We had a great league and a great idea,” said Argovitz. “But then everyone let Donald Trump take over. It was our death.” While many USFL players, like Kelly, quarterback Steve Young, linebacker Sam Mills and defensive end Reggie White, graduated to stellar NFL careers, the league’s demise cost hundreds of other players and team personnel their livelihoods.

A familiar Trump foe emerges in the book: the NFL. Trump convinced his fellow USFL owners to file an anti-trust suit against the league as it eyed a fall schedule. Today, Trump takes on the NFL on a regular basis, doing everything from calling some players sons of bitches, to needling the league on Twitter for not punshing players who kneel in protest of social injustices during the National Anthem, to calling out the league’s declining ratings. The league, and its owners, have largely refused to hit back at the President for his divisive rhetoric, fearing that many football fans agree with Trump’s opposition to kneeling during the anthem.

But maybe the NFL should learn from its experience three decades ago. Back then, the league took Trump on head-on. As Pearlman details in his book, the NFL’s game plan in the USFL anti-trust lawsuit was simple: make Trump the bad guy. No, the USFL wasn’t some poor little upstart being bullied by the big, bad NFL. Rather, the league was beholden to a swaggering real estate tycoon who wanted a seat at the NFL table.

Trump denied that a merger with the NFL was his motive. But the league produced for the jury multiple documents, signed or written by Trump, referencing a “merger” or “merger strategy.”

“He did not do the USFL well,” Patricia Sibilia, a juror at the 1986 USFL-NFL trial held in New York City, says in Football For A Buck. “What’s funny, in hindsight, is that his so-called business genius ruined it for them. He was not believable in anything he said. He came off as arrogant and unlikeable.” The USFL did “win” the anti-trust case, but was awarded just $1 in damages. Which was good for $3, since damages in anti-trust cases are tripled. The USFL, the upstart NFL competitor already on precarious financial footing, was done.

Back then, the NFL refused to cower to Trump. And it won. A book about a long-forgotten football league from the 1980s brings up an urgent question for today’s NFL: should the league blitz Trump again?

On 13/07/2020 at 21:07, Pistonbroke said:

Since I started following them in 92. I say follow loosely as I'm not upset if they lose or anything. I'll get the games in that are at a decent CET time and if they are on a stream paid or not. I think they've made the playoffs twice since I started following them and shit the bed in the first wild card game. I only followed them as my best mate is an ex player for Newport and a mad Dolphins fan, so I just chose a team from the other division. 

The first Superbowl was broadcast live on channel 4 sometime in the 80s. The Redskins beat the Dolphins and I've followed both teams ever since then.

I was watching a NFL programme during last season when someone mentioned that the Redskins are nicknamed the Skunks as their performances usually stink. 

Guest Pistonbroke
18 minutes ago, Dougie Do'ins said:

The first Superbowl was broadcast live on channel 4 sometime in the 80s. The Redskins beat the Dolphins and I've followed both teams ever since then.

I was watching a NFL programme during last season when someone mentioned that the Redskins are nicknamed the Skunks as their performances usually stink. 

I remember in the late 90's when they had that running back Davis, but despite his efforts they still came up short. Looked promising for a while with him at RB but soon turned to shit again. 

Lots of players from Patriots have opted out from the 20/21 season. Wonder what this season will look like. Patrick Chung, Marcus Gannon and Hightower is the most prominent names. But a long list from all teams are looking to do it.

• 2 weeks later...

Not NFL but:

On Tuesday, chancellors and presidents from the Big Ten voted to postpone all fall sports seasons as a result of the ongoing Covid-19 global pandemic, a development which may signal the beginning of the end for all fall sports at the collegiate level in 2020.
The league reportedly hopes to hold the football season in the spring.
"As time progressed and after hours of discussion with our Big Ten Task Force for Emerging Infectious Diseases and the Big Ten Sports Medicine Committee, it became abundantly clear that there was too much uncertainty regarding potential medical risks to allow our student-athletes to compete this fall." the Big Ten Commissioner Kevin Warren said.

• 3 weeks later...

To be honest I've done fuck all. Simple reason I don't see the season running properly, there will be issues with players missing games with positive tests, wouldn't be shocked to see games cancelled due to demonstrations in cities or players sitting like the nba the other night and that will fuck up all the scores and rosters. 

I'm happy to hand over or set something up, it's probably better to set up a new league as its fuck with Woo still being a Co owner and Co commissioner and I can't delete him

• 2 weeks later...