You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

I was excited when we signed him. I was shocked, infact, and remember all the hype about him and thought, "Wow! Really? Babel?" I remember him playing well for Holland in the youth tournaments and the like...

However, he's never really showed the technical ability that we crave from a pacey player like him. According to Ryan, we've never tried to get him to improve his technical ability as well.... Remember his interview? "They only ever coach me on defending" bollocks.

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was excited when we signed him. I was shocked, infact, and remember all the hype about him and thought, "Wow! Really? Babel?" I remember him playing well for Holland in the youth tournaments and the like...

However, he's never really showed the technical ability that we crave from a pacey player like him. According to Ryan, we've never tried to get him to improve his technical ability as well.... Remember his interview? "They only ever coach me on defending". bollocks.

I know, it's almost as if we expected a full international that we paid £11m for to come equipped with a first touch and the ability to run whilst keeping the ball under control! What were we thinking!?

In all seriousness, he represents a a major scouting fuck-up. If we'd paid £5m for him, I would perhaps have had lower expectations and he'd represent better value for money but with hindsight, the price we paid for a work in progress was ludicrous. I was aware of him before we signed him, had heard good things and thought we'd pulled a crafty one getting a potential superstar for that kind of money. Turns out those chortling Ajax fans were right after all - put simply, they saw us coming.

Babel has a characterial problem.

Until he came here he played football for fun. When he got here and started getting lectured about tracking back and all that pressure and zonal responsibility stuff, he most probably didn't even listen as he thought his attacking prowess would compensate for responsibilities that he shirked.

Then Benitez started pointing out his lacking aspects and he started losing confidence.

The result is a broken player who needs to be shipped out to some club where he can do what the fuck he wants on the pitch.

I'd like to see him as the back up striker to Torres. He is no winger. In all likelihood he is all but finished at Liverpool and will not show anything like the potential that caused us to buy him in the first place. But for whatever time remains for Babel at LFC he should be back up striker to Nando, especially since we did not bring one in over the summer. I'm still not hopeful he will carve out a future for us there as he doesn't appear to have the necessary mental fortitude, but that's the last place to throw the Ryan Babel dice.

I don't blame the scouts (not for this one at least) but we've been here before with so many players.

Every time he starts I think 'this time, come on, you've got everything needed'. Then I watch as his lack of heart and his always say die attitude comes winging it's way in again.

Talent is nothing without application.

I'd like to see him as the back up striker to Torres. He is no winger. In all likelihood he is all but finished at Liverpool and will not show anything like the potential that caused us to buy him in the first place. But for whatever time remains for Babel at LFC he should be back up striker to Nando, especially since we did not bring one in over the summer. I'm still not hopeful he will carve out a future for us there as he doesn't appear to have the necessary mental fortitude, but that's the last place to throw the Ryan Babel dice.

If I have a game I have to win there is no way I'm playing Babel up front a head of Kuyt. He might have the attributes for it, but he's never given any evidence he knows how to play the role effectively.

Agreed - he would be much better in a central role, though ATM his confidence looks shot and his attitude isn't improving.

He has to play on thhe wing cos out there he might find the 10 yards he needs to control the ball. Oh, and there's less of a requirement to head the ball or get involved in any kind of physical contact.

I wonder if anyone would even consider playing him up front if he wasn't quick cos i cant think of any other attribute he's shown that qualifies him for that position.

Brian Reade;

It's the ones left behind I feel sorry for.

The David James and David Bentleys, who thought they were moving on to new clubs this summer but have to carry on enduring their own personal hell on a couple of mill a year.

And Ryan Babel. There he was happily under-performing his heart out at Anfield, living off an Under-21 tournament two years ago which enticed Rafa Benitez (or was it Rick Parry) to splurge £11.5million on him.

True to form he was picked for this season's opening game against Spurs only to do his usual Invisible Man impression and go back to warming the bench. And now it's dawning on him that he'll struggle to make the World Cup.

So the cool rapper does what comes natural. Blames his manager for not recognising his genius and floats a plan to move back to Holland on loan in January (thus picking up Premier League wages for Championship-standard work) and flatter to deceive his way to South Africa.

Here's some advice Ryan. Remember all the opportunities you've been given to live up to your inflated reputation. Then ask whether anyone believes you have.

Remember the team-mate who was unveiled at Anfield on the same day as you, Yossi Benayoun. Someone who also doesn't command an automatic shirt, but imposes himself on games whenever he gets the chance.

Remember Craig Johnston. The last Liverpool player to write a ©rap song. A man arguably blessed with half your natural talent, but who possessed 10 times your desire to knuckle down and succeed.

And remember the word that comes before footballer on your passport. Professional.

Then attempt an impression of one.

I would hope the bit in bold was sarcasm, but you can never tell nowadays.

Craig Johnston had half of Babel's talent? Like fuck!

I've voiced my feelings on here about Babel many a time.

I knew he was a dud the first game I saw him, which I pointed out on here somewhere.

This may sound racist I don't know, but I imagine the lad would perform better at a team with more black players. Thats just the impression I get.

I knew he was a dud the first game I saw him, which I pointed out on here somewhere.

This may sound racist I don't know, but I imagine the lad would perform better at a team with more black players. Thats just the impression I get.

What? What do you mean "that's just the impression I get," what things are giving you this impression? Seriously, I'm at a complete loss as to what you mean.

haha is this because he likes rap?