You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The 22-year-old is unhappy with his limited outings so far this term and believes promises have been broken.

"There have been a lot of things promised, but they haven't been followed up," Babel told De Telegraaf.

Fucking hell Ryan, I couldn't have put it better myself.

My opinion - he's a footballer because the money is good but he sees himself as a rapper. He reminds me of Kewell (although Harry was a far more gifted player) in that his love of the game extends to how much it can inflate his bank balance. His mind never looks entirely on the job when he's on the pitch, like his head is in the clouds. I'm sure he'd like to be a great player for the adulation and recognition but he doesn't back his fine words up on the pitch. That might sound harsh but I have no other explanation for his failure to improve.

As for this talk about his confidence, what about Rafa's confidence? What has Babel shown that would make the manager place his trust in him and give him an extended run in the team, considering that points are apparently so vital that half the forum thinks we're out of the title race after four games? Also, what about his team mates' confidence? Will it help Benayoun or Riera's confidence to see Babel getting a six game run in the side on the back of gash performances?

I used to kid myself that he had all the attributes and just needed to pull them together. Looking at him now though, I see a player with a poor first touch, scant tactical awareness and not much heart. On the plus side he's got a strong shot and he's pacey, but has little idea of how or when to use those attributes.

OK, he's occasionally looked brilliant but I remember pointing out to a mate years ago that H*sk*y had a couple of glorious moments when everything fell into place and for a second or two he looked like Pele. The trouble is that you just knew they were largely down to blind luck - even a stopped clock is right twice a day. Ryan Babel is that stopped clock.

My opinion - he's a footballer because the money is good but he sees himself as a rapper. He reminds me of Kewell (although Harry was a far more gifted player) in that his love of the game extends to how much it can inflate his bank balance. His mind never looks entirely on the job when he's on the pitch, like his head is in the clouds. I'm sure he'd like to be a great player for the adulation and recognition but he doesn't back his fine words up on the pitch. That might sound harsh but I have no other explanation for his failure to improve.

As for this talk about his confidence, what about Rafa's confidence? What has Babel shown that would make the manager place his trust in him and give him an extended run in the team, considering that points are apparently so vital that half the forum thinks we're out of the title race after four games? Also, what about his team mates' confidence? Will it help Benayoun or Riera's confidence to see Babel getting a six game run in the side on the back of gash performances?

I used to kid myself that he had all the attributes and just needed to pull them together. Looking at him now though, I see a player with a poor first touch, scant tactical awareness and not much heart. On the plus side he's got a strong shot and he's pacey, but has little idea of how or when to use those attributes.

OK, he's occasionally looked brilliant but I remember pointing out to a mate years ago that H*sk*y had a couple of glorious moments when everything fell into place and for a second or two he looked like Pele. The trouble is that you just knew they were largely down to blind luck - even a stopped clock is right twice a day. Ryan Babel is that stopped clock.

I like this post.

Sadly most of that is true.

Except that he's rarely looked unstoppable as Heskey did on a fair few occasions. Even by the end, he had one game at Birmingham that was just awesome, only because that's where he wanted to be sold. When has Ryan ever really frightened anyone? Fabregas in the CL?

Guest the boy

I seem to remember babel caused Chelsea quite a scare in extra-time. he caused havoc with Madrid's defense.

he's fallen off a cliff in the last 6 months, admittedly, but lets not pretend he's been perenially useless. he is not a winger, as he has obviously shown. I'm in no way a 'rafa basher', yet benitez has persisted in playing him there. when he's been played down the center, more often than not he's proved useful. I know who I'd rather see deputising for toress between himself and Voronin.

My bet is a loan deal followed by a free transfer

because young dutch internationals regularly leave on free transfers. I presume you're being sarcastic.

As for the boy - I admire your positivity, but realistically the lad's been fucking garbage for us. I'm sure we all want him to do well, but he's like an amalgamation of the worst aspects of the cowardly lion (unwilling to fight), the tin man (no heart) and the straw man (no brain) from the Wizard of Oz. If fulfilling his potential can be equated to a journey along the yellow brick road, he's just fallen asleep in the poppy field again.

"There have been a lot of things promised, but they haven't been followed up," Babel told De Telegraaf.

"I would get to play for more minutes and have more chances, but after the first defeat, I only lost my place."

Well Ryan, if you actually performed on the pitch when you did get the opportunity, you would therefore get more minutes on the pitch.

If you put in as much effort when you play, as you do moaning about not playing, you'd be world class.

What a fucking mope.

Some stats about Babel in todays paper:

Season...... 09-10 / 08-09 / 07-08 / Total

Apps ...... 2 /...... 27 /.... 30 /...... 59

Subs On... 1 /..... 21 /.... 15/........ 37

Sub %....50% /...78% /....50% /.....63%

Time Played.82 /.. 833 /... 1416 /.... 2331

Goals ....... 0 / .... 3 /..... 4 / .......... 7

Assists...... 0 / .... 1 / .... 3 / .......... 4

- 63% of Babel's appearances have been from the bench.

Make of these as you will...

- 63% of Babel's appearances have been from the bench.

Make of these as you will...

That some stats are really pointless?

That some stats are really pointless?

I didn't think they were pointless.

Just highlighting some points that we already knew.

But I must admit they weren't good enough to post twice. :D

How come Lucas doesn't get fucked off, but Babel does? Benitez hasn't got a clue, he shouldn't have signed him in the first place cause he hasn't used him properly ever. He drops him in and out of the team no matter his performance.

There is a perfectly serviceable thread about Lucas, can't you go and whinge about him on that!

If you can read what Babel has just said and NOT come to the conclusion that he is nothing more than a shithouse, who enjoys being billy big bollocks from Amsterdam, then your opinion means nothing.

How come Lucas doesn't get fucked off, but Babel does? Benitez hasn't got a clue, he shouldn't have signed him in the first place cause he hasn't used him properly ever. He drops him in and out of the team no matter his performance.

Because we only have 3 top class midfielders in the whole club, 1 of which is not fit yet and the 2nd one is played up front because we don't have anyone else to do a decent job up front.

After all these years of spending money, wheeling and dealing, it is un fucking believable that we only have 3 top class midfielders and 1 real striker in the whole squad.

he's fallen off a cliff in the last 6 months, admittedly, but lets not pretend he's been perenially useless. he is not a winger, as he has obviously shown. I'm in no way a 'rafa basher', yet benitez has persisted in playing him there. when he's been played down the center, more often than not he's proved useful. .

Has he 'eckers.