You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Brian Reade;

It's the ones left behind I feel sorry for.

The David James and David Bentleys, who thought they were moving on to new clubs this summer but have to carry on enduring their own personal hell on a couple of mill a year.

And Ryan Babel. There he was happily under-performing his heart out at Anfield, living off an Under-21 tournament two years ago which enticed Rafa Benitez (or was it Rick Parry) to splurge £11.5million on him.

True to form he was picked for this season's opening game against Spurs only to do his usual Invisible Man impression and go back to warming the bench. And now it's dawning on him that he'll struggle to make the World Cup.

So the cool rapper does what comes natural. Blames his manager for not recognising his genius and floats a plan to move back to Holland on loan in January (thus picking up Premier League wages for Championship-standard work) and flatter to deceive his way to South Africa.

Here's some advice Ryan. Remember all the opportunities you've been given to live up to your inflated reputation. Then ask whether anyone believes you have.

Remember the team-mate who was unveiled at Anfield on the same day as you, Yossi Benayoun. Someone who also doesn't command an automatic shirt, but imposes himself on games whenever he gets the chance.

Remember Craig Johnston. The last Liverpool player to write a ©rap song. A man arguably blessed with half your natural talent, but who possessed 10 times your desire to knuckle down and succeed.

And remember the word that comes before footballer on your passport. Professional.

Then attempt an impression of one.

I would hope the bit in bold was sarcasm, but you can never tell nowadays.

Craig Johnston had half of Babel's talent? Like fuck!

i think he means natural talent which skippy didn't have but from when he first got over here to england he worked on it constantly.

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I totally agree.

I was very critical of Babel last season, because I didn't think he took his chances and showed much effort.

But in pre season, he looked trim, fit and really worked as hard as anyone... he also looked lively. But it is clear he's not a left sided player.

He's stated he wants to be central and that is going to be difficult with Torres and Gerrard. But he looks far more effective on the right, when used in this position as he can cross with his stronger foot when he crosses.

On the left he looked predictable - looking to cut inside and shoot or pass. Rarely does he look to cut outside his man and when he does he can rarely put in a good cross, as he's on his weaker foot.

On the right he has the attributes to offer what Johnson does - the combination of pace, power and skill. He can cross with his stronger foot when he goes outside and when he cuts inside it will be an option, not the only option.

I think the options outwide should be:

On the right - Kuyt and Babel.

On the left - Benayoun and Riera.

I feel sorry for Babel and I do put a large percentage of the blame on Benitez in this regard. Can't remeber which game it was in pre season, but he swapped flanks with Kuyt for two minutes and instantly beat his man and put in a superb cross for Voronin.

I'd love to see Johnson and Babel given a chance down the right hand side it could be liking watching two John Barnes on right wide out wide.

Well Johnson and Babel's intials together would be JB. ;)

At least this way we can really see if he's got what it takes, as I don't see how we can judge him on the left as it doesn't suit his game, his strengths and I think he's wasted in that position and for me, that's not his fault.

I'll continue to add The Doss's name to this list!

Rafa thinks Babel should stop moaning. I agree.

RAFA'S MESSAGE FOR FRUSTRATED STARS

Paul Eaton 07 September 2009

Rafael Benitez today urged Ryan Babel and Albert Riera to do their talking on the pitch after both players expressed frustration over a lack of first team opportunities so far this season.

Babel has revealed he would be interested in a loan move to Ajax when the transfer window reopens in January, while Riera made only his first start of the campaign at Bolton last weekend.

Benitez insists both players will get chances to shine over the coming months - and that it will then be down to them to seize the opportunities which come their way.

"Albert and Ryan both want to play," said Benitez. "They play in the same position and so have to compete with each other, which is good for us.

"The message is very simple. On the pitch all of the players have to prove something.

"Ryan knows he cannot go now, so he has to impress. He is a good player and we know he has talent. It's important for us to talk with him and see how he progresses over these months.

"With the World Cup at the end of the year the majority of our players will want to impress and if they do well in each training session they will have more chances."

Rafa thinks Babel should stop moaning. I agree.

Paul Eaton 07 September 2009

Rafael Benitez today urged Ryan Babel and Albert Riera to do their talking on the pitch after both players expressed frustration over a lack of first team opportunities so far this season.

Babel has revealed he would be interested in a loan move to Ajax when the transfer window reopens in January, while Riera made only his first start of the campaign at Bolton last weekend.

Benitez insists both players will get chances to shine over the coming months - and that it will then be down to them to seize the opportunities which come their way.

"Albert and Ryan both want to play," said Benitez. "They play in the same position and so have to compete with each other, which is good for us.

"The message is very simple. On the pitch all of the players have to prove something.

"Ryan knows he cannot go now, so he has to impress. He is a good player and we know he has talent. It's important for us to talk with him and see how he progresses over these months.

"With the World Cup at the end of the year the majority of our players will want to impress and if they do well in each training session they will have more chances."

Does he play another sport?

I'd have Ronny Rosenthal ahead of Cohen, Sammy Davis Jr. in 4th, and Sacha Baron Cohen in 5th. Not sure if Jesus would even make the top 10, he just doesn't have that je ne sais quoi anymore.

Haha, I came back to this thread to say I'd had a rethink and would have Ronny in there. Jesus does have the whole zombie thing going on though, that's pretty cool.

If Babel wants to play in the world cup, it's in his hands.

Rafa should tell him now, he's going fuckin nowhere until the summer.

Deliver or die in the reserves Ryan ..

Except he's never involved with the reserves. He should be, they should play him in every ressies game to help with his sharpness, confidence and stamina (how many 90mins has he played since coming here?).

I think he's been left out of the 18 again tomorrow.

Brian Reade wasn't being sarky re Parry to blame for Babel.

Apparently another of those little droplets of info Rafa gave to SoS in 'private' last September.

All the shit players were Parry's idea, all the good ones were Rafa's. Kop mural - coming soon.

And Skippy had plenty of natural talent, more than Babel. He could trap a ball, for one.

Except he's never involved with the reserves. He should be, they should play him in every ressies game to help with his sharpness, confidence and stamina (how many 90mins has he played since coming here?).

I think he's been left out of the 18 again tomorrow.

Surely, the world cup is a massive bargaining chip for Rafa?

If Babel doesn't deliver, the shame of the reserves might motivate him, and as you state, might have other benefits ..

I'd have Ronny Rosenthal ahead of Cohen, Sammy Davis Jr. in 4th, and Sacha Baron Cohen in 5th. Not sure if Jesus would even make the top 10, he just doesn't have that je ne sais quoi anymore.

Larry David should be number 2.

1. Albert Einstein

2. Larry David

3. Dustin Hoffman

4. Peter Sellers

5. Stephen Fry

6. Yossi Benayoun

7. Jerry Seinfeld

8. Bob Dylan

9. Jon Stewart

10. Steven Spielberg

11. Sacha Baron Cohen

12. Simon & Garfunkel

13. Burt Bacharach

14. Elvis Presley

15. Woody Allen

16. Gene Wilder

17. Mel Brooks

18. Jerry Stiller

19. Jason Alexander

20. Harrison Ford

21. Jeremy Piven

22. Jeff Garlin

23. David Duchovny

24. Jeffrey Tambor

25. Henry Winkler

26. Harvey Keitel

27. Slash

28. Leonard Nimoy

29. Richard Lewis

30. James Caan

31. Jon Lovitz

32. Glen Jacobs

33. Estelle Harris

34. Susie Essman

35. Gina Gershon (cos she is so hot in Curb)

Jesus wouldn't even make my list of the 35 greatest Jews.