You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

TLW picks the team v Stoke  

716 members have voted

1. 1. TLW picks the team v Stoke

• Replies 507
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i would keep kuyt on the right, and play yossi off torres. Stoke will come to defend and dont think they'll offer too much on the break, so if gerrard is back in centre mid he can still bomb forward knowing the chief is there to cover him. Hopefully with yossis clever movement he create a few openings for gerrard. Oh and babel can play left back.... in the changing rooms

As I have just posted on TTWAR:-

Liverpool 0

Stoke City 1 (Shawcross 70)

We'll miss a pen first half, give away a silly throw in from which Shawcross will score from Delap's throw, and Benny Tez will bleat like a girl about not getting a second penno.

He will then try and justify picking Lucas (again), and Babel (again) ahead of putting Gerrard in the middle, Benayoun behind El Nino, and playing Bert on the left.

Who knows, 2 defeats, a lack of money, he could go by the weekend!!

Frank Spencer

News At Ten

From His Bunker in Edinburgh

(I'm scared to put it on the Rattle in case they fatwa me!):smile:

Surely a bigger priority than replacing Lucas in the middle is ensuring that Benayoun plays? He made all the difference on Sunday. He was the anti-Babel - finding the spaces where he could receive the ball, running, creating space for others, making clever passes etc. He improved both ball retention and use of the ball when in possession.

Heresy though it is to say so, I would actually drop Mascherano for this game as I can't see there being much need for closing down space and winning the ball in the middle of the park. Stoke will either hit it long from the keeper and/or try to win set pieces in our final 3rd. Play Gerrard and Lucas in the middle, Benayoun behind Torres and Riera out wide and we will be a more effective attackoing unit than we were on Sunday.

you could have pele, maradonna, daglish, rush, robbie, owen and torres upfront. But if you can get the ball up to em then they might as well not even be on the pitch.

We no longer have the natural thread of Alonso to provide the ball through the team and I imagine Mascha is doing 50% more work to allow for the incredibly avergae Lucas.

Gerrard in the middle for me to bulk up the midfield especially as we have a weaker back 4 at the mo. Yossi in behind torres to provide the creative link.

Lineup : Same as weekend except for Benayoun instead of Babel.

Score : 1-0.

I think We will control the game, they will actually attack a little bit, maybe on the counter. We Will nick a goal, and it will be an improved performancce from the weekend.

Scorers: Skrtel.

Stoke will either hit it long from the keeper and/or try to win set pieces in our final .
This I agree with, but i dont agree with dropping masch, surely lucas will give away more free kicks in the final third, lucas cant play this game, especially with skrtel not being 100% so surely the chief plays by default? offering gerrard more protection to go forward than lucas can?

as excited as i am for first home game of the season, i can't see Rafa changing his squad to much except maybe a staring 11 place for yossi instead of babel. This will be Liverpool knocking at the door all match and Stoke saying "sorry boys no one is home, this door isn't coming open!"

Liverpool 0 - 0 Stoke

resulting in Rafa bashing on TLW by 9.40 pm.