You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

This season is going to be make or break for Torres's Liverpool career.

If we have another cash-starved struggle with the thinnest squad of any of the Top 6 clubs, and fail to win a trophy, then next summer is going to be FULL of speculation that he wants to go elsewhere.

And this time there will be truth in it.

Why do you speak that as though it's fact? You have got fuck all idea of what goes on Torres' head.

Torres' attitude can be concerning at times. He may benefit from having somebody up there with him to cope with defenders that bully him. It shows a wekaness on his part though. If defenders know that if he is kicked a bit, he will sulk for the rest of the game, I'd know what I'd be saying to my defenders if I was Tony Pulis...

like someone said in reply to my OP

the most impressive thing in his first season wasnt just his finishing,it was his attitude and work rate.he used to work his balls off putting the opp CBs under pressure like rushie in his pomp and fight for 90 mins.now he only does it when he can be arsed instead of every game.now its just usually at anfield were he knows hes got too graft and the odd away fixture.

reply to some of your quotes

"he might have personal problem etc?" well if thats the case,dirk still gave his all when his dad was dyin and if hes got probs,why doesnt he tell rafa and we can play someone whos gonna give 100%

"he moaned first half against everton but then second half he was great and desroyed them" well imagine how good hed be if hed of done it in the first half to? are you brain dead mate? haha

anyway come on nando lad! lets get back to player you were in your first seaon and rediscover that tough mentallity that we love and need more than anything right now!

Edited by old skool tom

People are missing the point here. The OP is obviously a manc cunt on the wind up.

Torres' attitude can be concerning at times. He may benefit from having somebody up there with him to cope with defenders that bully him. It shows a wekaness on his part though. If defenders know that if he is kicked a bit, he will sulk for the rest of the game, I'd know what I'd be saying to my defenders if I was Tony Pulis...

i totally agree that he needs a partner who can help him! a tough target man in the mould of dean ashton for example.but rafa doesnt wanna play that way for some reason (tactics or lack of cash?) so hes got to accept it and just get on with it.and your spot on about what you would too say your defenders too mate,rough him up because hes mentally and can be put off his game quite easy.i dont understand how hes got like that though? in his first season he was a better fighter than SG & JC

Guest Ulysses Everett McGill
Which part?

He needs another decent striker fighting for the position to keep him on his toes?

He needs a partner up top?

He got a letter from the original poster?

Chided him a bit for not being strong enough under a challenge, wasting energy getting frustrated etc

Chided him a bit for not being strong enough under a challenge, wasting energy getting frustrated etc

Good to hear. A player of his quality really doesn't need to resort to that, especially during the first game of the season.

Two goals tomorrow night, please Nando.

I wouldn't go as far as the original post but i've definitely noticed Torres having a bit of an attitude on him in certain games. I reckon if he played for the Mancs, we'd all hate him and think he was a cunt the way he moans when he gets fairly tackled etc.

Having said that though, he's an absolutely fantastic striker and clearly one of our best players. I genuinely couldn't give a fuck if he was secretly a fascist (like AA) as long as he performs on the pitch.

The way I see it, is that he's not been fully fit for a while now due to injuries and involvement in International tournaments. I think he gets frustrated because of that and reacts the way he does.

Once he's fully match fit and back in form he'll be fine and we'll forget all about this. Unless he keeps picking up niggling little injuries...

Fernando Torres has been told to wise up by Liverpool boss Rafa Benitez after becoming distracted by petty feuds with opposing defenders.

The £21million striker was ordered to cut out the backchat after a series of niggly clashes in the 2-1 defeat at Spurs on Sunday, culminating in an angry confrontation with Tom Huddlestone.

Benitez has spelled out his concerns ahead of Wednesday's home match with Stoke.

‘I’ve told him he has to stop arguing with defenders,’ said the manager.

‘This has to stop, for his good and the team’s. He accepts that the best way of getting back at opponents is by scoring.’

Benitez also faces problems in defence.

Daniel Agger is still three weeks from fitness as he recovers from a back injury and a decision on Martin Skrtel is being delayed after he hurt his jaw in the opening match at Spurs.

With as little as £1.5m at his disposal, Benitez has few options in the transfer market and may be forced to play Daniel Ayala, just 24 hours after his 18th birthday, should Skrtel be sidelined.

Liverpool’s cash restraints look like costing Rafa Benitez his latest target after he had a £1.5m bid rejected for AEK Athens defender Sotirios Kyrgiakos, 30.

Fernando Torres has been told to wise up by Liverpool boss Rafa Benitez after becoming distracted by petty feuds with opposing defenders.

The £21million striker was ordered to cut out the backchat after a series of niggly clashes in the 2-1 defeat at Spurs on Sunday, culminating in an angry confrontation with Tom Huddlestone.

Benitez has spelled out his concerns ahead of Wednesday's home match with Stoke.

‘This has to stop, for his good and the team’s. He accepts that the best way of getting back at opponents is by scoring.’

Daniel Agger is still three weeks from fitness as he recovers from a back injury and a decision on Martin Skrtel is being delayed after he hurt his jaw in the opening match at Spurs.

With as little as £1.5m at his disposal, Benitez has few options in the transfer market and may be forced to play Daniel Ayala, just 24 hours after his 18th birthday, should Skrtel be sidelined.

Liverpool’s cash restraints look like costing Rafa Benitez his latest target after he had a £1.5m bid rejected for AEK Athens defender Sotirios Kyrgiakos, 30.

Read more: Button it! Fernando Torres told to bite his lip by Liverpool boss Rafa Benitez | Mail Online

I just hope this doesn't upset Torres, he's so important to us, we need him happy. To be honest, i don't mind him arguing with defenders, he gives as good as he gets. I have more of a problem with him looking like he can't be bothered and grumpy, this is what i want to see him cut out of his game.

Read more: Button it! Fernando Torres told to bite his lip by Liverpool boss Rafa Benitez | Mail Online

I just hope this doesn't upset Torres, he's so important to us, we need him happy. To be honest, i don't mind him arguing with defenders, he gives as good as he gets. I have more of a problem with him looking like he can't be bothered and grumpy, this is what i want to see him cut out of his game.

Fuck that. If someone tried to stand on my bollocks I'd do more than fucking argue with them. Defenders can put in a hard challenge to 'let the striker know he's there', so why can't strikers have a word in the ear? No problems when Fowler did it. I've got no problems with Torres' behaviour at the moment. Anyone that does needs to look at other teams' star players (Rooney, Fabregas, Drogba, Robinho) and think of how lucky they are.

Rafael BenÃ*tez tells Fernando Torres to toughen up | Football | The Guardian

Liverpool manager Rafael Benítez tells Fernando Torres to toughen up

• Liverpool striker must focus more, says manager

• Club make £1.5m bid for AEK Athens' Sotirios Kyrgiakos

fernando-torres-001.jpg

Fernando Torres was criticised by Rafael Benítez for getting distracted by physical and verbal skirmishes. Photograph: Tony O'Brien/Action Images

Rafael Benítez has told Fernando Torres to accept the consequences of being a marked man after making the frank admission that Liverpool's record signing is distracted too easily by intimidation.

Torres has shown an increasing tendency to confront opponents or argue with match officials over the past 12 months and was involved in several run-ins with Tottenham Hotspur players, notably Tom Huddlestone, during Sunday's 2-1 defeat at White Hart Lane.

Benítez believes Torres's problems arise purely from the verbal or physical abuse meted out by rivals. The Liverpool manager is so concerned by the success of those tactics, however, and a growing consensus within the game that the striker can be put off his formidable stride, that he has taken the 25-year-old aside and ordered him to rise above the provocation.

"I have told him that he has to stop this," Benítez said. "He knows he has to improve this aspect of his game. He has to be completely focused on his football and he knows that the way forward is to respond to any intimidation by scoring. Sometimes it is not easy to deal with everything opponents do, but he knows he must deal with it in a different way."

Yet Benítez himself could be in trouble with the Football Association for his reaction to events at White Hart Lane. The Spaniard mocked the referee Phil Dowd in his post-match press conference and claimed the fourth official, Stuart Attwell, at 26 years old, was too young for the top level. Benítez will be asked to explain his comments before any possible charge is made.

Torres's home debut for Liverpool against Chelsea in August 2007 was notable not only for his first goal at Anfield but for how he responded to John Terry's attempted coercion with icy detachment. The transformation since, believes Benítez, stems from opponents recognising the threat posed by the Liverpool striker and a loss of focus that his manager is adamant will be corrected.

"In his first season he was really focused and I think he will do that again now," Benítez said. "He knows he has to improve a little bit in these things. He is a star and the defenders are really worried about him, but that is part of the game now."

Temperament aside, Torres's form was also a worry for the Liverpool manager at Spurs, although Benítez has no lasting doubts on that score and has cited Spain's involvement in the Confederations Cup in June as an unnecessary disruption to the striker's pre-season programme."He is physically fit, but match fitness is something that you get when you play games," explained the manager. "He only arrived with us on 19 July, we had the trip to Asia and he was playing 15 minutes, half an hour or 45 minutes. Then we had three days off and he played against Espanyol. We probably haven't had all the players together for more than one week, so it hasn't been easy.

"The problem we had was the Confederations Cup which is a very, very important tournament," Benítez said with more than a hint of sarcasm. "For a month the players were playing in a fantastic and important tournament."

Liverpool have an opportunity to recover from the Spurs defeat tonight when they play Stoke City at Anfield, with Torres pledging to attack from the start against a team that held Benítez's team to two goalless draws last season. "We couldn't win against them, so we are waiting for a very defensive team," the Liverpool striker said. "They will try to score from set pieces or from a long ball, but we have to be offensive and go from the first minute until the end to try to score. And if we can score in the first minute I am sure we can win."

Martin Skrtel is an injury doubt for Liverpool having suffered a hairline fracture of the jaw in a collision with Jamie Carragher at White Hart Lane, while his fellow central defender Daniel Agger has been ruled out for three more weeks with a back problem.

Benítez is continuing his search for defensive reinforcements and last night made a £1.5m bid for Sotirios Kyrgiakos of AEK Athens, who value the Greece international at £3m. The Liverpool manager is understood to have only £2m left to spend this summer, despite making a profit on deals during 2009. With not even the money he raises sure to be reinvested in the Liverpool squad, he is unlikely to sanction further sales, ending Hertha Berlin's hopes of re-signing Andriy Voronin on a long-term deal.

"We can't sell any more players as the Premier League is very demanding," he said. "We have some players injured now and if we lose any more then we won't have many options. It's important to keep the squad and try to find solutions."

From Liverpoolfc.tv

The 25-year-old has scored an incredible 50 goals in 85 games during his two seasons at Anfield, helping to earn a Ballon d'Or nomination in 2008.

He is also a talisman for Spain, for whom he netted the winner in Euro 2008.

Despite all this, Torres believes there are plenty of areas where he can improve.

"I'm very proud because when I came from Atletico I just wanted to play some games and see if I could play in a top team like Liverpool," the No.9 told Liverpoolfc.tv.

"Now two years later I think I am improving a lot, and I think I can improve a lot yet. I am still young, just 25."

Torres put pen to paper on an improved deal last week.

Despite being tied to Anfield until 2013, with the option of an extra year on top of that, the Spaniard hopes he hasn't signed his last contract with Liverpool.

He said: "I'm really happy. I hope I have a lot of seasons to play here.

"I'm happy because I went right from Atletico, I had never played in the Champions League before, and Liverpool gave me the opportunity to play against the best teams in the world.

"I am really happy to sign a new contract with Liverpool and I hope I can sign more contracts in the future here.

"I feel good because the fans are fantastic with me. Every week it is amazing to see all the fans singing my name and my song. I am very proud to play for Liverpool.

"It is one of the most important clubs in Europe; the club with the best fans in the world, I am sure about that; and one of the clubs with the most history in modern football."

Meanwhile, Torres admits Liverpool must fly out of the blocks against a stubborn Stoke side on Wednesday if they are to kickstart their Barclays Premier League campaign.

Tony Pulis's men held the Reds to two frustrating draws last term - but a point will not satisfy Torres and co this time round following Sunday's opening day reversal at White Hart Lane.

"We know them, we know last season we played against them and it was really difficult," said El Nino.

"We couldn't win against them, so we are waiting for a very defensive team. They will try to score from set pieces or from a long ball, but we have to be offensive and go from the first minute until the end to try to score. And if we can score in the first minute I am sure we can win.

"The best thing when you lose is having a game three days later because we have the chance to forget about Tottenham.

"It is disappointing when you cannot win, but I think we have to improve, we have to be positive. We can get three points and we are on our way."

Be ashamed you doubters.

Torres talks to .tv

sgn4nm.jpg

LFCtv | AVI | 33.8MB | 9 min ~ | 640 x 360 | HQ

Click

Edit: In case this gets editted (Sorry if I'm not supposed to post it) then anyone is welcome to PM me for a link to a video of the interview.