Steven Gerrard is on of if not the greatest players ever to play for Liverpool and some knobhead starts a post moaning about his corners coz we've lost a game. crazy.

NO amigo it’s an observation about where would you rather Gerrard? Floating in corners that cause no damage or having him sit outside the box ready to unleash??? Read the post again and understand the context...

Can't really disagree with Tom can we? We are the shittest team in corners and set pieces.

That aside, I really wish Nando will try and hold the ball a bit more. He just tries to dribble his way forward at every opportunity. He needs to get hold of the ball a little bit more, try and bring others into play and then make his forward runs.

Houllier had the right idea with Gary Mac clipping the ball in and Gerrard making a near post run.

Gerrard would be far more effective attacking the corner instead of taking it. The number of times he fails to get it beyond the first defender is unbelievable for his ability.

Johnson look slike he can cross a ball would try him, if only for a bit of variety.

It's one of the things that baffles me most. Rafa is supposedly an absolute stickler for minute details , yet he has let us drift along for the whole of his reign with absolutely no threat from dead ball situations ( Give or take Sami's natural ability ) . We practically start about 10 goals behind Chelsea & Man Utd each season because of this situation

Chelsea won the league one year virtually on the back of Terry & Lampard at corners & free kicks ).

Gerrard must be used as an attacking weapon from corners & not to take them ( usually poorly ).

Steven Gerrard is on of if not the greatest players ever to play for Liverpool and some knobhead starts a post moaning about his corners coz we've lost a game. crazy.

I blame Souness.

Has Gerrard read this thread yet?

This is a point well made. Even if Stevie were decent at corners he should not be taking them since there is no other player you would rather see in our side hovering around the edge of that box for a loose ball. Besides that, he is pretty good in the air and can offer a threat that way too.

Not sure who can take a good corner though. Everyone can do a floaty corner (which is easy to defend) and everyone can try a whipped ball that is easy to defend becasue it is executed poorly and comes in to the front stick at waist height.

But who do we have who can produce a great corner?

They are consistently poop. Ho fucking hard is it to drop a ball into the six yard box with a bit of pace?

I thought bringing Sammy in would see an improvement in this area, but nope, no evidence at all. I'd like to see Insua and Johnson taking them personally.

Remember Finnan used to put in a lovely corner. And even if Aquilani is a beast with set-pieces Gerrard will still want to take them.

Your corners are fuckin diabolical.

My corners are far, far better than yours. I don't say that as a joke or even for effect, I absolutely fucking mean it - My corners are better than yours. Not even just slightly better, but MASSIVELY BETTER. So please, stop taking them. You've been shit at corners for years.

And yet you're probably the one player in the whole world that I'd want waiting on the edge of the box to bang in a corner kick. But you're one of the very last players on earth I ever want taking them, so fucking stop it. You can't do everything.

I 've been saying this for years, why does a player as dangerous as Gerrard and who has scored such crucial goals from round the D area, Olympiakos and other strikes have to take our corners? Are other players so shit that they can't even float one into the box and he wait for the knock downs, it pisses me off big time and Rafa should get on to it.

Same as them roll it to a player while the wall charges it down free kicks , they piss me off more than anything, can't anyone hit a dead ball free kick in our team these days? you have made a good point and you can have some rep if allowed.

It's one of the things that baffles me most. Rafa is supposedly an absolute stickler for minute details , yet he has let us drift along for the whole of his reign with absolutely no threat from dead ball situations ( Give or take Sami's natural ability ) . We practically start about 10 goals behind Chelsea & Man Utd each season because of this situation

Chelsea won the league one year virtually on the back of Terry & Lampard at corners & free kicks ).

Gerrard must be used as an attacking weapon from corners & not to take them ( usually poorly ).

That is a fantastic point, Van Gough could not have illustrated it better, with or without his ear.

Surely Johnson has an corner in him? Tom is right, he should be at the edge of the box. He's also more likely to stop any breakaways too.

I'd try Lucas/aquilani.

For the amount of money professionals are on they should be able to take a corner, goal kick, free kick or any kick with either foot for christ's sake.

As it is, who else has one of their greatest goal threats taking corners?

I sometimes wonder if we actually practise dead ball situations other than zonal defending at corners and free kicks, and that's another thing....................

The thing about corners is that once you've worked so hard to get ownership of them you aren't going to just give that shit up without a fight. You look at someone with a big reputation like Gerrard and think who is really going to come along and push him off the corner? Yeah nobody.

I remember reading once that, towards the end of his days at City, Colin Bell had complete ownership of pretty much all the corners. When a change came it was looking like the club were going to bring Brian Little in to manage the club and it ended up there was a right fucking kick off because he was looking to take the corners off Bell. Apparently Bell hated "that faggott" Little for the shit he caused with his corners.

I suppose it's either play of be played though. Gerrard should bare that in mind.

i had a look and we scored 8 corners last season. 6 were taken by Gerrard and 2 were taken by Babel at Spurs in the cup. So it's quite interesting that despite all the playing time Gerrard missed last season no-one provided any goalscoring corners apart from Babel in the 2nd half of that cup match.

What's the average amount of goals scored from corners in a season? I'd guess at about 10, i haven't a clue though to be fair.