You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should Daniel Pacheco start against Unirea?  

72 members have voted

1. 1. Should Daniel Pacheco start against Unirea?

• Yes.
    • No, its too early.
    • Don't know.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
I think he was bought as a centre midfielder, but he's looked beter higher up the field.

The problem is I don't think he's good enough to get in our best XI, that's worrying given how much he cost.

To be fair, he has only had 7 starts off the back of a two year injury period. Not to mention that those 7 starts were in a team that have been majority misfiring and unsettled.

Personally, I think it is way too early to worry or judge Aquilani.

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He's not in my eyes, he is no wonderkid thats for sure, If he is as good as you think why did we spend £20m on a player who plays in his position.

I'm not saying the kid is crap, and I'd like to see him get a decent run(as we need something different), but I don't think he is as good as people make out. Its only my opinion, and I respect yours.

That's why I said he was "the future". Not "the now".

Guest PurpleNose
throw the kid in, throw him in like ngog , then fucking slag him, go on it will be great

then pine for arsenal kids even though they do fuck all

Made me laugh. Repped.

Personally, I would play Mascherano and Gerrard in midfield, with Aquilani behind Torres when fit. I think that's where Stevie can influence that game most, and if he's on his game then he can't be stopped in that position. Whereas when he plays just behind the striker, although he's brilliant there at times, he can become very isolated if he is being well marked and the service is poor.

Not directing this just at you mate because I’ve seen it stated in a few places, but I don’t think where Gerrard is being played is the reason for his poor form this year. Not at all. Gerrard has had a couple of fantastic seasons behind the striker, this year he’s having a poor one, but players have bad runs of form. There’s certainly mitigating reasons for Gerrard’s poor form (by his standards) this year, injuries — both his and others and the lack of Alonso behind him — but the position he’s in is not it.

I think we’ve seen on a number of occasions, particularly the start of last season, that Gerrard is completely restricted when he’s played in centre mid. His best seasons have come when he’s been playing wide right and behind the striker and in my opinion to move him back would just leave us with another gaping hole further up the pitch.

As for him being easy to mark “in the hole”, the majority of the teams in the league still play 4-4-2 and man mark. The fact that Gerrard currently plays between the lines and with the freedom to drift wide and deep when he wants to I think makes him a lot harder to mark than if he were playing centrally where he could more easily be picked up by the opposition’s centre mids.

Erm, someone correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't LFD the one who keeps bumping his own thread about dropping Gerrard back into midfield?* So presumably, what LFD is suggesting is to put the most complete central midfielders in the world back in the position he belongs, unless of course he rates Lucas higher than Gerrard. Please explain how Gerrard would be part of a "two man defensive shield".

Personally, I would play Mascherano and Gerrard in midfield, with Aquilani behind Torres when fit. I think that's where Stevie can influence that game most, and if he's on his game then he can't be stopped in that position. Whereas when he plays just behind the striker, although he's brilliant there at times, he can become very isolated if he is being well marked and the service is poor.

I think Aquilani would thrive in the position Gerrard has been playing, because he seems like a flair player with the ability to create something special, but he also seems to be fairly lightweight and weak in the tackle. From what I've seen of him so far, he doesn't look like someone who can play central midfield in the premier league.

*I'm not wrong.

Idiots getting bogged down in rigid formations and missing the point. Aqualini was obviously brought in to add some much needed tempo and creativity from a deeper position. He'll still get forward and link up with the attack and interchange positions with Gerrard. Or should we just buy Robbie Savage to chase shadows and get stuck in?

With regards to Gerrard, it's obvious to anyone other than Rafa that this current set up doesn't work without a striker of the calibre of Torres and we need a change of emphasis, but it won't happen.

throw the kid in, throw him in like ngog , then fucking slag him, go on it will be great

then pine for arsenal kids even though they do fuck all

Or we could just tip toe around the issue, never play him because we're worried the nasty fans might moan, and then sell him back to Barca when he's 21.

Idiots getting bogged down in rigid formations and missing the point. Aqualini was obviously brought in to add some much needed tempo and creativity from a deeper position. He'll still get forward and link up with the attack and interchange positions with Gerrard. Or should we just buy Robbie Savage to chase shadows and get stuck in?

With regards to Gerrard, it's obvious to anyone other than Rafa that this current set up doesn't work without a striker of the calibre of Torres and we need a change of emphasis, but it won't happen.

Or we could just tip toe around the issue, never play him because we're worried the nasty fans might moan, and then sell him back to Barca when he's 21.

What are you talking about? LFD said that Aquilani looked better higher up the pitch (I agree with that), and you said that he was suggesting we stick with a "two man defensive shield", I was just responding to your comment. If Aquilani plays in a more forward position, it doesn't make us more defensive, unless you consider Gerrard to be a defensive-minded player.

Rafa has introduced Insua and N'gog into the team and they've established themselves as regulars, though they only got a look in when injuries have forced Rafa's hand. I'm not a Rafa hater, but one criticism I have had is his caution with regards to youth. There are some very promising young players at the club and they need to be given their chance. He has overseen the developmeant of Insua and N'gog (particularly the latter in my opinion) very well. So it seems he can develop youngsters when he feels he needs to, I'd just like him to do it on a more regular basis with the likes of Patches, Darby, Kelly, Ecclestone, etc.

Fair play to him giving Patches his chance, was a very positive move and the lad responded well to the faith shown in him.

Dani: It was a special night - Liverpool FC

Cant copy the whole article. Laptop fucked up.

Good read about where Rafa told him to play though....

Daniel Pacheco has spoken of his pride after playing a major role in Liverpool’s winning goal against Unirea Urziceni.

Entering the field as a 75th minute replacement for Alberto Aquilani, the former Barcelona youngster combined with fellow substitute Ryan Babel to set up David Ngog's 81st minute winner.

"It was very important we won this game and to play a part in the winning goal made it a special night," Pacheco told Liverpoolfc.tv.

"It was a brilliant cross from Ryan and I managed to head the ball back for David to score so everyone was really happy at the end.

"When I came on the boss told me to play between the lines off the striker and then I went to play on the right side which I was happy to do for the team."

The Kop acknowledged their appreciation for the Reds No.47 when they chanted his name and he said: "It's a really special feeling when you hear the crowd singing your name and it was a nice moment for my family, but it was important the team won and we got a good result."

Pacheco also singled out scorer Ngog for praise and added: "It's not easy to replace Fernando Torres who is a world-class striker but David does a good job for the team.

"He always works hard and he got the important goal for us and I am pleased for him."

I think he was bought as a centre midfielder, but he's looked beter higher up the field.

The problem is I don't think he's good enough to get in our best XI, that's worrying given how much he cost.

So, a player who used to a more slower paced game has looked better when he's had more time on the ball?

Whether or not he gets upto speed with the English game can be debated but after the amount of games he's played for us I don't see why we need to be changing the role he was bought for.

Im really exited about this kid, i like the way he moves the ball, i like his one touch passing i like his intelligent runs. I'd like to see him just behind torres with gerrard just behind him. Could be tasty.

And then Aquilani just behind Gerrard and Mascherano just behind Aquiliani :tease: Which would also rid us of the problem of having no decent wide players!

Seriously, I agree. In our current situation we need this kind of young ones to make it, and I think maybe Pacheco has a chance. We'll see.