You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should Daniel Pacheco start against Unirea?  

72 members have voted

1. 1. Should Daniel Pacheco start against Unirea?

• Yes.
    • No, its too early.
    • Don't know.

I would LOVE to see Gerrard playing in the centre from now on. Lucas should be a rotation player. Gerrard slightly in front of Masch who will destroy the opponents and feed the ball to him. Then someone like Aquilani ahead of Gerrard would be good. I also wouldn't mind seeing Patches there to see what he's got, but I would rather he start behind someone like Torres rather than N'Gog.

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know enough about Pacheco to have a firm opinion. However, the fact that he's getting into match day squads suggests he's capable of doing a job and so, given our short term fitness problems up front as well as the long term financial ones for signing new players, it's a resounding yes from me. Martin Kelly should play too (can't believe Rafa was seriously interested in signing another right back in the window; even more money down the drain, that would have been in my view).

Oh and I merged the threads, by the way.

I don't know enough about Pacheco to have a firm opinion. However, the fact that he's getting into match day squads suggests he's capable of doing a job and so, given our short term fitness problems up front as well as the long term financial ones for signing new players, it's a resounding yes from me. Martin Kelly should play too (can't believe Rafa was seriously interested in signing another right back in the window; even more money down the drain, that would have been in my view).

Oh and I merged the threads, by the way.

Oh so it was you, confusing my calc ...

I`d like to see him start in a team including most of our other top players, thats the only way to develop him from now.

To start him in a weakened team will tell you almost fuck all really about how he would do if he got his chance in a match together with lets say both Gerrard and Torres.

Give one or two fringe players/ youngsters the chance and you will be able to get a lot of answers already after one or two matches.

I would LOVE to see Gerrard playing in the centre from now on. Lucas should be a rotation player. Gerrard slightly in front of Masch who will destroy the opponents and feed the ball to him. Then someone like Aquilani ahead of Gerrard would be good. I also wouldn't mind seeing Patches there to see what he's got, but I would rather he start behind someone like Torres rather than N'Gog.

Lucas has been on the top of his game lately, whereas Aquilani has had too many misplaced passes. His record is very good though 4 starts, 4 wins, 2 assists.

He's not in my eyes, he is no wonderkid thats for sure, If he is as good as you think why did we spend £20m on a player who plays in his position.

I'm not saying the kid is crap, and I'd like to see him get a decent run(as we need something different), but I don't think he is as good as people make out. Its only my opinion, and I respect yours.

Why did we spend £20m on aplyer who plays in Gerrard's position? Fuck knows... I'd rather have Pacheco and £20m than Aquilani/Pacheco and £0m though, that's for sure...

Guest Numero Veinticinco
He's not in my eyes, he is no wonderkid thats for sure, If he is as good as you think why did we spend £20m on a player who plays in his position.

Because one is a young kid and the other is an international.

why did we spend £20m on a player who plays in his position.

Aquilani was bought as a centre midfielder, shame it seems he's better suited higher up the field.

I think Pacheco has the talent, he just needs a chance.

Aquilani was bought as a centre midfielder, shame it seems he's better suited higher up the field.

Can we stop all this? He's a CM and was brought in because we needed more creativity from deep. What you're suggesting is we stick with this two man defensive shield, which isn't going to provide Aqualini with much service when he's further up the pitch.

Can we stop all this? He's a CM and was brought in because we needed more creativity from deep. What you're suggesting is we stick with this two man defensive shield, which isn't going to provide Aqualini with much service when he's further up the pitch.

I think he was bought as a centre midfielder, but he's looked beter higher up the field.

The problem is I don't think he's good enough to get in our best XI, that's worrying given how much he cost.

Erm, someone correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't LFD the one who keeps bumping his own thread about dropping Gerrard back into midfield?* So presumably, what LFD is suggesting is to put the most complete central midfielders in the world back in the position he belongs, unless of course he rates Lucas higher than Gerrard. Please explain how Gerrard would be part of a "two man defensive shield".

Personally, I would play Mascherano and Gerrard in midfield, with Aquilani behind Torres when fit. I think that's where Stevie can influence that game most, and if he's on his game then he can't be stopped in that position. Whereas when he plays just behind the striker, although he's brilliant there at times, he can become very isolated if he is being well marked and the service is poor.

I think Aquilani would thrive in the position Gerrard has been playing, because he seems like a flair player with the ability to create something special, but he also seems to be fairly lightweight and weak in the tackle. From what I've seen of him so far, he doesn't look like someone who can play central midfield in the premier league.

*I'm not wrong.

When he was bought, Benitez said he wanted to drop Mascherano deeper and play Aquilani a little bit between him and Gerrard. You are going to need to do some defensive duties in that area of the pitch. I'm not talking about a destroyers role, just a balanced one. Alonso was actually very good at tackling, but no-one could call him other than creative.