You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should Daniel Pacheco start against Unirea?  

72 members have voted

1. 1. Should Daniel Pacheco start against Unirea?

• Yes.
    • No, its too early.
    • Don't know.

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I always thought he could play behind the strikers but in front of the midfield, in hole as it were.

I'd play him there also but what do you do with Gerrard then? I'd play the strongest available team and if we were to get a few goals bring him on and see what he can do. Given how well we do in the first leg, maybe he could start the 2nd leg.

I'd go with this:

------------Gerrard----------Mascherano------------

Babel---------------Pacheco------------------Riera

---------------------Kuyt----------------------------

The way some fans decided that Spearing and Darby had been 'found out' after just a few games didn't exactly encourage the blooding of more young players. Pacheco is a fantastic prospect, but he's still got some way to go to be fully ready physically for the league - there'll be matches where he'll be kept very quiet, and the nature of his game means he'll also lose the ball in key areas, so I dread the knee-jerk reaction if he doesn't get a great start. Bringing him on in a few games might be the wisest move, even if it is frustrating.

The way some fans decided that Spearing and Darby had been 'found out' after just a few games didn't exactly encourage the blooding of more young players. Pacheco is a fantastic prospect, but he's still got some way to go to be fully ready physically for the league - there'll be matches where he'll be kept very quiet, and the nature of his game means he'll also lose the ball in key areas, so I dread the knee-jerk reaction if he doesn't get a great start. Bringing him on in a few games might be the wisest move, even if it is frustrating.

Isn't that just part of the learning process? The lads who can handle it and become even more determined are usually the ones who make it. In many ways it's the survival of the fittest.

Babel??????? Why the hell would you pick babel?

I forgot about Maxi, to be honest, and thought he was the best available option in that position.

I like Babel on the right, I just don't rate him upfront or on the left.

It's easier when the team is strong and winning. There's no need to go uber-Darwinian when promising players struggle in hard games in struggling sides. Wenger doesn't bung all of his young players into big games and says 'sink or swim'. If we really WANT young players to come through, let's encourage them and show some patience. We're hardly in the position to keep shouting 'Next' after a few starts.

I agree with that, but on flip side sometimes you learn more by throwing them in at the deep end, especially the likes of Patecho who is clearly talented and unfazed by the big stage. Insua is another who has benefited from just playing games, simple as that.

It depends on the different personalities obviously, but you don't want a scenario where you're putting it off and off because you're worried that he won't be able to handle it. If he doesn't then you see how he responds or he's out, that's the way it is and should be.

I would probably have given him minutes in that match if I played football manager, but I haven't seen him on the training field the last weeks (or ever for that matter) so I have no idea if he is good enough or not. That's the base of my "Don't know" - vote.

If we start him and maybe a few others and they really shine, the disappointment of being in this cup may turn to a massive positive. We could end up with one or two class players by next season and solve a few problem areas we have at the moment.

Rafa must start him tomorrow in my opinion. He needs to start being put in and this is the perfect game for him to do it.

I'm not sure.

I'd ratehr he played behind Torres in a team that's got confidence and playing well but he has to get games sometime.

This is what I was going to write.

It is the same with Aquilani and Rodriguez (Although I thought Maxi did really well against Everton despite what most others were saying).

I want to see these new players playing with a fully fit Gerrard and Torres and Benny and Johnson all attacking and a team with fluidity.

Especially with Patches I'd have preferred to have seen him in a team playing well, but I'd still start him tomorrow night and see. I do think Rafa is planning time for the kid given the comments earlier in the week as stuff like that is usually said for a reason, but I think it'll be a subs appearance from the 60 minute mark.

I think it'll be a subs appearance from the 60 minute mark.

Yes, and, as it's on Five, at least we won't have to endure this:

martin-tyler.jpg

Well, Andy, the change is coming in the 60th minute again, just as your famous theory predicted!

AndyGray3_548209.jpg

Heh Heh! Oh, yes, Rafa always likes to make his changes around about this stage in the match for some strange reason! Never 2, 3, 8 or 12 minutes into the game, when most managers do, or even in the 39th or 42nd minute, like a surprising number of others like to do. Heh heh! It's one of Rafa's eccentricities, and god knows he has a few!

Guest Dog Chaser

I would love to see Pacheco get a start but with the way we are playing at the moment would not seem to suit his style of play. Maybe he could be the bit of creativity that we have been missing.