You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Imagine a world where the collectively agreed safety net, though those with the broadest shoulders do everything that can to avoid collective responsibility, paid in to by all, is worse than begging. A safety net to ensure that those most disadvantaged have their most  very basic needs of survival isn’t enough. 

Further to this imagine an economy built on the backs of and exploitation of the very same people lucky enough not to fall through the gaps through fear of becoming the former. A system that does not subscribe to the profit motif being anything other than wealth accumulation for a very select few.

What a world.

Its almost like the red in tooth and claw philosophising of the demented was made flesh in the fifth/sixth biggest economy on the planet and not a tear will be spared to consider that the system was the problem and not the other way around, mad.

• Upvote 1

There’s definitely some organised begging going on in Liverpool. I think a lot of the people in the city centre are genuine homeless, but I’ve seen a fair few beggars appearing at regular pitches in places like petrol stations and MacDonalds in the suburbs. We had one ridiculous one outside the corner shop by us a couple of months ago. Lasted a day. Was sat there in his immaculate designer clobber, trainees, and boy and haircut, with a pristine lime green sleeping bag. Total chancer but almost certainly stationed there by some criminal types.

7 minutes ago, DalyanPete said:

Remember walking down Bold street, if you gave to every begger you'd be skint when you got to the bottom.

Probably how the problem is escalating. Reaching the end of the street skint and deciding the only logical course of action is to join the queue of beggars.

• Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, Rick Sanchez C-137 said:

Probably how the problem is escalating. Reaching the end of the street skint and deciding the only logical course of action is to join the queue of beggars.

Ha ha, never thought of that 

I said to one, be easier if I set up a direct debit, cut down on the hassle.

17 hours ago, Anubis said:

There’s definitely some organised begging going on in Liverpool. I think a lot of the people in the city centre are genuine homeless, but I’ve seen a fair few beggars appearing at regular pitches in places like petrol stations and MacDonalds in the suburbs. We had one ridiculous one outside the corner shop by us a couple of months ago. Lasted a day. Was sat there in his immaculate designer clobber, trainees, and boy and haircut, with a pristine lime green sleeping bag. Total chancer but almost certainly stationed there by some criminal types.

Yeah there was one outside the co op by ours a while back and we're miles away from town or anywhere else the homeless might congregate to sleep, he actually had working hours too. It's proper tactical Monopoly shit.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Yeah there was one outside the co op by ours a while back and we're miles away from town or anywhere else the homeless might congregate to sleep, he actually had working hours too. It's proper tactical Monopoly shit.

I work in Bolton quite a lot and beggars are strategically placed at all the traffic lights leading into the town centre, it's definitely a racket. They definitely look like addicts but I can't help but feel they are being used by some gang, who'll take the money and then give them a bit of heroin etc.

• Upvote 1

There's ones in Belfast sitting beside ATMs near pubs, with fat rolls of £20 notes in their pockets. 

Really is frustrating because it creates cynicism which really affects those in need.

I guess the answer is to give to charities which provide the essentials like shelter, food, heat, rehabilitation and try to help people back on their feet, but you dont half feel fucking guilty walking by a begger questioning their credentials in your head.

3 hours ago, Elite said:

I work in Bolton quite a lot and beggars are strategically placed at all the traffic lights leading into the town centre, it's definitely a racket. They definitely look like addicts but I can't help but feel they are being used by some gang, who'll take the money and then give them a bit of heroin etc.

Here they flog tissues at traffic lights.

Still not quite figured out why tissues.

A beggar outside a church in Venice tried to scratch my eyes out screaming "Madonna Madonna" because I said I'll put my money in the church box instead of giving it to her who'd just got right in my face in the entrance (I'd already given about 30 euros away that day to people asking) she went mental at me. My ex nearly launched her in the canal. 

Why she thought I didn't like Madonna I'll never know... 

Still we don't know what goes on with these people, plenty are genuine and I wouldn't want to swap places with any of them. 

On 06/11/2021 at 13:26, Clem H Fandango said:

We have a guy down south here that would brag on social media (how the fuck he could afford a phone and mobile Internet is beyond me) about the things he steals from the town shops.

He now occupies a doorway to a now redundant burtons store.

He went to Bournemouth last week (£20 on the train) as he can get better money begging down there.

He left all his possessions in the Burton doorway in eastleigh and someone set fire to it all.

I've no sympathy whatsoever, in fact quite the opposite.

With a bit of luck it Burnt down Burton too.

On 06/11/2021 at 16:13, Edward. said:

Some homeless charities give homeless people phones especially during the pandemic. As they couldn’t directly access services offered.

Yeah,  the benefits system has been overhauled massively during covid, most people are examined over s telephone call, so you're snookered without a blower.

On 07/11/2021 at 12:55, Bjornebye said:

A beggar outside a church in Venice tried to scratch my eyes out screaming "Madonna Madonna" because I said I'll put my money in the church box instead of giving it to her who'd just got right in my face in the entrance (I'd already given about 30 euros away that day to people asking) she went mental at me. My ex nearly launched her in the canal. 

Why she thought I didn't like Madonna I'll never know... 

Still we don't know what goes on with these people, plenty are genuine and I wouldn't want to swap places with any of them. 

Sounds like she was crazy For you, mate. But the one ray of light is that at least you got to live to tell the tale.  

• Upvote 1

I'm out in Cambodia, it's quite staggering how many western beggars / drug addicts Phnom Penh has right now. 

Scummy little rats (probably Oasis fans), sliding over with some sob story about lost passports etc. While clearly off their tits. 

Some genuine poverty issues here, often down to corrupt government and horrendous wealth inequality. 

29 minutes ago, Fallen Angel said:

I'm out in Cambodia, it's quite staggering how many western beggars / drug addicts Phnom Penh has right now. 

Scummy little rats (probably Oasis fans), sliding over with some sob story about lost passports etc. While clearly off their tits. 

Some genuine poverty issues here, often down to corrupt government and horrendous wealth inequality. 

Wealth inequality is the key to poverty the world over. The 'American Dream' is the biggest con trick the Devil ever pulled.