You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Football opinion amnesty thread

RedinSweden

7 hours ago, dockers_strike said:

I think the club should build a more fitting memorial at Anfield to those who died at Heysel rather than just the plaque outside the SKD.

Could not agree more. 

I often think to we seem to brush the whole incident under the carpet. 

It was a shameful incident, absolutely shameful. Even though it happened when I was a very young child, I still feel sickened by it. 

We appear to blame the stadium conditions or the lack of fan segregation on what happened, but the fact remains it happened because a big bunch of our fans attacked there's. And no excuse can change that fact for me. 

Ill take a neg, but that's my honest opinion. 

5 hours ago, chrisbonnie said:

Could not agree more. 

I often think to we seem to brush the whole incident under the carpet. 

It was a shameful incident, absolutely shameful. Even though it happened when I was a very young child, I still feel sickened by it. 

We appear to blame the stadium conditions or the lack of fan segregation on what happened, but the fact remains it happened because a big bunch of our fans attacked there's. And no excuse can change that fact for me. 

Ill take a neg, but that's my honest opinion. 

It was a lot more complicated than that. Our fans weren't blameless but the Italians were at least as bad. How our fans were treated in Rome the year before didn't help matters either.

8 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

It was a lot more complicated than that. Our fans weren't blameless but the Italians were at least as bad. How our fans were treated in Rome the year before didn't help matters either.

That's what I'm talking about. Excuse making. Our fans charged them. It's pretty simple really. 

24 minutes ago, Creator Supreme said:

It's not that simple at all! That was the cause of most of the deaths without doubt, but what led up to it was not just down to us!

That was the cause of all of the deaths, not most

I couldn’t go to Rome in 84, but my missus did with her cousin and some friends. 
It was fucking horrendous, yet nothing was done about the behaviour of the Roma fans and the Police.

LFC and Merseyside Police warned UEFA that the stadium wasn’t fit for purpose well before the game took place, they were ignored.

I was in Brussels for the game. I saw no trouble before the game, but heard there’d been some in the city when I got to the ground with my mates.

I saw NF or BNP flyers on a table at a bar in the city before we went to the ground.

Once in the ground there was a bit of tit for tat throwing of objects to our right in the area where the tragedy happened, some Juventus fans came running down towards us to throw rocks at us before being chased by the police, then there was a rush to our right by those in our section of the curve.

Was it all LFC supporters who charged? Who knows?
The majority would have been.

So yes there were other factors before the tragedy, but, ultimately, had there not been a charge, the deaths wouldn’t have happened.

When 39 die, those other factors pale into insignificance pretty much.

We are pretty much brilliant at the moment.

It's a shameful stain on our clubs history that will never be forgotten. Our fans caused 39 deaths at a football match.

My uncle was at Heysel and I remember him saying that outside the ground some Italian fans were driving past in cars hanging out the windows with machetes.

There is no excuse for what our fans did. 

The last time I watched a full game with Manchester United, that did not involve Liverpool, was 2009 when they were 2-0 down to Spurs at home.

Alex Ferguson is no fool, so he sent for reinforcements; he sent for Howard Webb.

Within 25 minutes, Webb had given a penalty decision so outrageous that even he later conceded it was a "mistake". (

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/competitions/premier-league/5239299/Howard-Webb-admits-his-mistake-over-Tottenham-penalty.html)

After Man Utd then onto win the game, their fans all chanted "Are you watching, are you watching, Merseyside? Are you watching Merseyside?" 

I was watching. And I was gutted.

Winning the league is something I've wanted for long enough to remember that I've wanted anything. And shoving it in the Mancs face has been a huge part of it. So, to see them so castrated is annoying. 

Finally kicking the shit out of your older brother is only fun, when he's lauding it over you; it's not fun when he doesn't have the balls to fight back anymore.

Winning the title at City, or Everton would be great, but at Old Trafford when we're both within 3-5 points of each other, that's what I want.