You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Football opinion amnesty thread

RedinSweden

21 hours ago, deiseach said:

People need to get over their Martin Tyler obsession. Trawling through every syllable and every inflection looking for anti-Liverpool bias is just pathetic. 

Nah, he’s a knob and deserves it. Besides, we give Carragher, McManaman and Beglin more stick than Tyler, so we’re pretty equal opportunity.

• Upvote 1

On 12/02/2020 at 12:25, Soft Joe said:

I’ve always thought Phil Neal seems to be a bit of a cunt.

Not sure this one needs an amnesty. Threw a strop when he didn’t get the manager’s job in ‘85 (I can’t remember whether the board made the right call then), refused to call Dalglish ‘Boss,’, came across as a complete tool in that Graham Taylor documentary, highlight of his management career seems to have been ‘Laid the groundwork for Bruce Ricoh’ which is hardly one for the ages. 
Maybe he gets some small kudos for contributing to that season when City had around 15 managers. 

23 hours ago, Ron B said:

Not sure this one needs an amnesty. Threw a strop when he didn’t get the manager’s job in ‘85 (I can’t remember whether the board made the right call then), refused to call Dalglish ‘Boss,’, came across as a complete tool in that Graham Taylor documentary, highlight of his management career seems to have been ‘Laid the groundwork for Bruce Ricoh’ which is hardly one for the ages. 
Maybe he gets some small kudos for contributing to that season when City had around 15 managers. 

Bruce Ricoh? They named an Arena in Coventry after him.

• 1 month later...
12 hours ago, deiseach said:

I don't miss football. Not even a little bit. Where previously Saturdays and Sundays were a source of irritation, now they are the oases of calm that they are meant to be.  

I don't really miss it either. Also, despite winning almost every game this season, I think this is the season I was enjoying the least out of any I've followed. 

24 minutes ago, Tony Moanero said:

May I ask why?

Lack of any real adversity or drama, maybe. I've found the games this season have almost all had the same pattern of us playing just decent but still squeezing by the opposition. I'm happy we'll win the league, but personally I just haven't found it all that exciting. In contrast, the past two seasons were roller-coasters and I loved it. 

• Upvote 1

The one thing I have learned from this shut down is how much I don't really care about sports in general anymore. I watch our games, I watch Saints in the NFL but winning or losing doesn't make a difference to my mood much. Maybe 10 mins after the result, then it's just done. 

Ive lost interest to be honest, slowly over the years, though I surprised myself on how wound up I was the week before the Madrid final and during the game, then the Spurs final didn't seem to get to me as much. 

I'll always love the team and the game itself but these days Id rather watch racing, the people that take part in Horse racing seem more interesting to me than gobshite footballers, well most of them. 

• Upvote 1

Dare I say this? I'm getting fed up with hearing YNWA every 5 minutes on the news, it'll be in danger of losing its appeal as a thing of beauty when sung at Anfield because people will be sick of it, as like everything else that gets over exposure, I don't know but I'd just wished they'd of picked a different song and left YNWA to where it belongs. 

1 minute ago, easytoslip said:

Dare I say this? I'm getting fed up with hearing YNWA every 5 minutes on the news, it'll be in danger of losing its appeal as a thing of beauty when sung at Anfield because people will be sick of it, as like everything else that gets over exposure, I don't know but I'd just wished they'd of picked a different song and left YNWA to where it belongs. 

You don't hear Anfield singing YNWA every 5 minutes. There is a massive massive difference. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

You don't hear Anfield singing YNWA every 5 minutes. There is a massive massive difference. 

I know that I just want it to be ours, not a match goer by the way these days, and it to remain a special thing to hear and to make my eyes water at times. 

Hard to explain, you must see what I mean? It doesn't need flogging to death, I know good causes and all, by celebrities etc, ah fuck it I don't know I just think that. 

20 minutes ago, easytoslip said:

I cringe when I hear it mostly because it's almost always out of place. I wont have it at my funeral either. Probably have 'You're a cunt' by The Macc Lads instead.

3 minutes ago, easytoslip said:

I know that I just want it to be ours, not a match goer by the way these days, and it to remain a special thing to hear and to make my eyes water at times. 

Hard to explain, you must see what I mean? It doesn't need flogging to death, I know good causes and all, by celebrities etc, ah fuck it I don't know I just think that. 

I know what you mean