You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Football opinion amnesty thread

RedinSweden

Winning in Europe is far more prestigious than winning a domestic league. We're all desperate to get the League monkey off our back but once we've done that I'll go back to my usual position of prioritising Europe. 

• Upvote 3

Had this discussion with my dad a few times. I wanted the league more, but only because of the length of time since we last won it.

My dad said all season he'd rather have the European Cup, and after we won it he said to me "If it's a choice next year, I'd take the European Cup again".

Ordinarily I would too, but I want the monkey off our back.

That being said, since we won number I can't say I've really spent any time whatsoever thinking about missing out on the league.

It is funny though listening to him talking about the title like it's the League Cup or something. Completely dismissing it because it's not as prestigious as winning the European Cup!

"No, it's the European Cup you want, that's the big one."

• Upvote 1

All other things being equal I'd agree with CL > League, or at least equal to it, but not currently. Maybe if I was a decade older or younger I might feel differently.

But while we've won the league in my lifetime but I wasn't old enough to have clear memories of it.

I don't have clear memories of the aftermath of Istanbul because I legally got shitfaced.

We haven’t won the league since I was a kid. We’ve won the European Cup twice in recent history. 

There will be hundreds of thousands of reds who have never never seen us win the league. 

League first next season. 

Then we can make big ears our focus again. 

• Upvote 1

Guest Pistonbroke

On the league versus the Champions League debate. Football has changed an awful lot since I first started supporting us in 1970. Shanks said 'The League was your bread and butter.' That was when you had to be champions in order to challenge for the biggest trophy in Europe the following season. Now finishing in the top 4 is your bread and butter. It would be nice to win the league, especially for the younger fans who haven't had that pleasure, it would also shut those Manc bastards up as well as certain other clubs. I'm desperate myself for us to get that monkey off our backs. However, if you are talking prestige then it has to be the CL you covert more. It would also be nice to win the Club World Cup next season, complete our collection.  

I think if we do win the league it will be like when the trotters win the lottery.  We won’t know what to do with ourselves.  In a strange way the fact we haven’t won it for so long makes us the fan base that we are.  Take all the sentiment and emotion out of it and we are by far the most interesting football club in world football and it’s because of not winning things all the time and when we do it tends to be a supernatural/spiritual experience.

Guest Pistonbroke

The run we've had since the late 80's early 90's would have decimated most fan bases, ours has grown. That is down to our adventures in Europe and being classed as European Royalty. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...