You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Football opinion amnesty thread

RedinSweden

I can't stand YNWA.

Still makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up every time I hear it, even after 50 years. Mum asked if she could have the Elvis version played at Dad's funeral, said yes immediately so has extra meaning.

Hate it when the clappers start half way through though.

• Upvote 7

Still think that Lallana is more valuable to us than Coutinho or Firmino. That Kuyt broke more than he built, and that we started our decades of decline under Kenny.

If you mean when he left with a squad that included David Speedie,Steve Staunton et al,then I dont think many would disagree.

I never rated Kenny as highly as a manager as others did,but I'd have liked to have known what was going on in his relationship with the board at the time. We were apparently beaten to Pallister and one or two more so maybe he was being starved of funds at the time.

i dont get all the hype about woodburn. seems bang average and i dont think he will make it here.

Wow! A 17 year old who was only one of a few who has showed bottle when being promoted to the first eleven well before his time. Very,very harsh as I haven't heard of many going overboard on him. I think he has a future,but maybe not here or he may simply get injuries and be a lower league player.

I thought Woodburn showed great feet at times on Saturday, and to be asked to play wingback was a big call for a lad that young and inexperienced in that position. I bet he didn't see it coming.

That ball he pinged to Firmino's feet was absolutely scandalous for a 17 year old.

I've seen a lot lot worse from senior players with a lot of international caps.

Yes it all seems a bit underwhelming because he was brought in as a forward, but he's not been playing as a forward, and we need to adjust our expectations of the lad a bit.

Back on topic, I hate the Liverpool crowd mentality.

People don't support Liverpool Football Club, they support 'Liverpool winning', and make noise when we're already up and playing well. That's shit. No song for Sturridge as well, that's shit.

I also hate the mantra about never singing about the opposition fans. I think we sit there like puddings and the players hear us taking a load of abuse every game and never fighting back, and yet we expect the players to have all this fight in them....

Bullshit. I applaud the original concept around only singing about Liverpool, but times have changed. Clubs hate us, clubs target us, the opposition fans work up a head of steam from slagging us off and it gives their players confidence, it sounds like a fucking home game for them.

When you think as well of the razor sharp put-downs we could fire at opposition fans who give us stick, and how it would lift the crowd to get involved in some singing that put a smile on people's faces, something witty and people can buzz off it, then lo and behold, they might then start singing about Liverpool in between put-downs to the goonish bullshit we allow to ring around Anfield at every home game.

"Can we sing a song for you?"

Yes, as long as it's about Liverpool FC, or Steve Gerrard.

• Upvote 6

Our players must think it's fucking mad to hear Wolves or Plymouth fans give us shit for 40 minutes before we respond with a withering rendition of Anfield Road, singing about Kenny and Steve Heighway.

We look down our nose at modern fandom, but we could learn a thing or two from others at the moment. We think we look cool and respectful by keeping our mouths shut for most of the game, but it's just seen as a massive weakness to be exploited by the opposition.

Christ knows there's enough bile and anger in our fanbase from game to game, especially when things are like now and going a bit shite, it would be fucking cathartic to belt shite at the opposition, sore of Primal Scream therapy. It's really not doing people much good being tutted at for not making the 'right' sort of noise, and at the right time. This shite about people clapping at the end of the first chorus in YNWA, so what? Moaning tits with your cool garb and shit. The same ones who have a go at people leaving early but mostly they don;t get in the ground until bang on kick off. Shit.

• Upvote 2