You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Football opinion amnesty thread

RedinSweden

Ultimately, that's what a striker is paid to do.

Had a goal incorrectly ruled out in the Semi-Final, too.

during his career at Liverpool he squandered 9 out of 10 chances - not all direct chances, admittedly, but loads of plays where he was just too slow to get on the end of stuff.  Pass the ball to him when he was out wide, and any momentum was lost.  

In addition, his workrate was vastly overrated.  Full backs would walk past him with the ball, and usually he wouldn't bother chasing them back.  He gave full backs their easiest game of the season.  Just as well he took pens.  

Stultifying is the word I would use to describe Kuyt.  There is more to football than a busy running style and 100% commitment.  

I understand this isn't the accepted view, but it's my view.  Ray Houghton was miles better than him.  

Re: the 2005 and 2007 finals.

We seemed to play a lot better against Milan in 2007 than we had in 2005, but we didn't have enough goal threat on the pitch. Kuyt and Gerrard were the only starters who were capable of providing a goal threat. Our 4-2-3-1 had Pennant and Zenden either side of Gerrard. Pennant had the better of his opponent Jankulovski but he'd never been a player who you could call a goal threat, and Zenden was the sort of player to help provide tactical discipline in midfield rather than any sort of attacking threat. While we spent more time in the Milan half than in 2005, we didn't create an awful lot.

Our 4-4-2 in 2005 had Gerrard, Garcia and even Kewell there to provide attacking threat behind Baros, and with Riise in a more advanced wide position, he was capable of supplimenting our attack as he had done pretty much throughout the season. When we switched to 3-5-2 with Hamann bolstering the centre of midfield and Gerrard playing as a wing back (as did Riise), Baros (and later Cisse) had Garcia and Smicer supplimenting the attack with Gerrard playing like a man on a mission to provide an additional threat.

If Rafa had gone with Crouch as a starter in 2007, it would probably have been at the expense of Zenden. I don't know if Crouch would have dominated the Milan centre backs the way his brief cameo might have suggested, but we would have had more players on the pitch providing a goal threat we could have profited from. We'd not done too badly during the season because we had people playing off Crouch. And we could have brought Bellamy on as an impact sub if need be later on.

Rafa had opted for bravery in 2005 and it came undone so he had to switch to a more pragmatic set-up in 2007. The six minutes of madness from Milan papered over the cracks a little in Istanbul. The manager must have had this in mind when selecting his 2007 line-up because he went for pragmatism from the start. Mind you, so did Milan compared to 2005.

• Upvote 1

Still think the squad is only going to be good enough for 6th this season.

Simply put, theres five teams much better in the league and none of them are struggling.

If we don't make a couple of signings or have luck with injuries the best I think we can get is 5th.

The cups won't help although a trophy would be nice.

I hate talking to people in the real world about football, especially colleagues, it's cringey as fuck.

"did you see the game last night?"

*Yes, it consumes my life, of course I fucking 'watched' it, and no, I'm not up for talking about it with you, you're a casual, a tourist, and you won't like talking to me about the game because I'll go full rainman and want to talk to you about Clyne's positioning when they nearly got a corner, but you'll just want to go on about a great save someone did, or how good that free-kick goal was.  You see sunshine, whereas I see a burning star at the edge of the galaxy emitting radiation and heating the planet one cubic inch at a time, this isn't going to work, it's not you, its me.

"Yes I saw the game" 

• Upvote 2

Guest Pistonbroke

Living abroad is ace, get to talk about the game in a civilised manner with all sorts of fans. When I sometimes read the rabid comments on those HYS sections of the BBC it just backs this up even more. Football fans have always been tribal but the amount of mongs in the UK beggars belief. 

You don't realise how bad it is until you overhear others talking about it. I was getting a burger one day and the bloke cooking it was having a long drawn out conversation about how he though Gary Neville should be the next England manager because he was young and already knows the players. Unfortunately, I'd already paid, so couldn't just leave, but I've not been back there since. 

Nice burger though.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...