You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The New Season Positive Thread

Guest LFD

The New Season Positive Thread

Oh yes, it is time for a new season and I for one am excited and I think it is about time we started looking at why we can win this title. This thread is less about the ‘doom and gloom’, crying over the departures of Arbeloa and Alonso, by contrast it is far more about focusing on what our new signings of Johnson and Aquilani can offer our team.

So why can we win the league?

Well for starters we have probably the best striker in the league, if not the world in Torres. Last season he got 14 goals in 24 appearances and he didn’t look in 100% condition a lot of the time. Now last season it was clear the amount of football he had done the season before and through the Euros had caught up on him. But now he’s looking fully fit and ready he spearhead our attack.

Behind him we probably have the best supporting striker in world football, definitely the most ‘complete’. Gerrard thrives in the space in between midfield and attack, where he has the license to roam whether he wants on the field. He will supply Torres, get goals, assists and set the standards in attack and defense.

Last season our side scored 106 goals in all competitions, with 77 coming from the league. Now given Torres and Gerrard played so few games together this is an impressive number. Between Benayoun and Kuyt they scored 20 goals in the league which is a great return from wide players who offer so much to the team other than goals and assists.

Our defense should be strengthened with the addition of Johnson. Johnson has been bought to enhance our attacking game at Anfield. But he should aid from the protection he’ll get from Kuyt, in defense. We’ve got healthy competition in centre defense and two good options at left back in Insua and Aurelio. Last season the defense got 26 clean sheets and given we should hopefully improve on our defending at set plays we can hope this will improve further.

The defense gets superb protect from Mascherano who is one of the best defensive midfielders in the world. Given Barcelona are trying to sign him after they won four trophies last season, just shows how highly he is regarded. I don’t know much about Aquilani, but it sounds like he will link our midfield and attack well. He should be comfortable in possession and hopeful enable our side to see more fluid one / two touch football, than we saw with Alonso.

Plus the fact our keeper has won the golden glove two out of the last three seasons and has the best distribution in the league.

What about our rivals?

Manchester United – Have lost arguably the best attacking player in the league in Ronaldo and another attacking threat in Tevez. On paper they look weaker and you wouldn’t really swap their centre midfield, wide players or attack for ours, but they shouldn’t be discounted.

Chelsea – Look stronger on paper, with Essien and Joe Cole back fit, plus Zhirkov looks a shrewd signing. However they do have a lot of African players and do you wonder how they will cope with the African Nations Cup and how there new manager copes with the league?!

Arsenal – Didn’t look like challenging last season and given they have lost an important centre back and their top striker, it is hard to see that they can be considered more likely to challenge than us.

Summary

Despite the loss of Alonso we are not the only team who look slightly weaker on paper this season. Given we have the best striker, the best supporting striker, the best defensive midfielder, a keeper who has won two golden gloves out of the last three, three top centre backs, the PFA dream team right back from last season and wide players who can get 20+ goals… we should really be quietly confident and that’s without considering what Aquilani could provide… exciting times.

Any other positive thoughts about our chances?

What's your problem?

All I am trying to do is bring a little positive discussion, rather than chat about net spending, how much we'll miss Alonso, how Kuyt isn't consistant and Benitez is having a poor pre season.

Chill out, relax and embrace this positive thread.

Other than that, my problem is I had three pints at lunchtime and my mind has diminished to a small circle about the size of a 5p until I can get back to the pub again.

Haha good man.

Yossi Benayoun.

He'll be a massive player for us this season, I guarantee.

I agree.

Think his versitility is a bonus as well.

Personally until Aquilani is fit, I'd like to see Gerrard in midfield with Mascherano more often than not, pulling the strings and Yossi roaming behind Torres.

But really if Yossi starts the season as he finished the last then he should possibly be in the team on the left ahead of Riera anyway.

Yes let's go back to focussing on the negatives and crying over Alonso.

Both extremes are equally as unwelcome as far as I am concerned.

Rashid wasn't an annoying cunt because he was negative most of the time. He was just an annoying cunt.

Also, this is TLW. I post here because I don't want a thesis, and I don't want to be talked "at". That shit is for RAWK.

Here endeth the lesson.

Both extremes are equally as unwelcome as far as I am concerned.

Rashid wasn't an annoying cunt because he was negative most of the time. He was just an annoying cunt.

Also, this is TLW. I post here because I don't want a thesis, and I don't want to be talked "at". That shit is for RAWK.

Here endeth the lesson.

You've got issues.

I was merely trying to be positive and highlight that we should really be backing ourselves.

Don't see it as being patronising.

1. We will improve

2. Manure have lost quality and wont replace them*

3. Chelsea have a new manager who will be out by xmas if they start slowly.

4. Arsenal will not spend big money.

5. Man City see 3.

*Anyone else heard that Vidic is not injured but trying to manouvre a move away and they are skint?

1. We will improve

2. Manure have lost quality and wont replace them*

3. Chelsea have a new manager who will be out by xmas if they start slowly.

4. Arsenal will not spend big money.

5. Man City see 3.

*Anyone else heard that Vidic is not injured but trying to manouvre a move away and they are skint?

Plus Chelsea have the African Nations to worry about.