You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Does anyone want to see Lucas go?  

157 members have voted

1. 1. Does anyone want to see Lucas go?

• Yes, for a small profit.
    • No, he has potentail to make it.
    • Sitting on the fence.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nope. £6m buys you fuck all these days - as Newcastle showed when they bought Barton. Persist with him 100%. This may be the season when he flourishes - it takes youngsters a couple of years to find their feet in a new country/league/team. Rafa obviously sees something and Gerrard seems a fan and surely they cant be that wrong.

You would think so, but i've heard that Tom Huddlestone could be leaving Spurs for around £6m, if so, then i would like Rafa to sell Lucas and bring the fatboy in, get him fit and he could be a quality player. Other than that, i think he should stay as he showed signs of improving towards the end of last season and if he does well this season we could sell him next summer for a good fee or use him in the future.

anyone who thinks lucas will ever make a good liverpool player is deluded.hes an honest player but hes average.slow,cant tackle,head,dribble,create,defend or pass a ball to a red shirt over ten yards..........spearing and cattermole arent world class but they are much better players than lucas.get some dough for him,shake his hand for his effort and replace him.

anyone who thinks lucas will ever make a good liverpool player is deluded.hes an honest player but hes average.slow,cant tackle,head,dribble,create,defend or pass a ball to a red shirt over ten yards..........spearing and cattermole arent world class but they are much better players than lucas.get some dough for him,shake his hand for his effort and replace him.

In what way? He isn't a similar player to either of them, more of a hybrid. Rafa and Dunga must be getting kickbacks to have fielded a player who once captained his country's u-20s, and has already made several appearances for his national team.

With Alonso gone, this season is Lucas's big chance. Unless we buy a central midfield player in the next 9 days (unlikely) then Lucas is going to be in the starting line up for for the first month or so until Aquliani is fit. And even then, with Aquiliani's injury record, Lucas could well start 20 or 30 games for us this season. Give him til next Summer, then decide if he should stay or go.

Reporter on SSN just broke the news that Aqualani had passed his medical, then said that Liverpool could well be currently trying to sign Poulsen right now. He sounded like he knew what he was talking about when it comes to Liverpool, if this is true, this is surely a big sign Lucas could be leaving.

If it's Myers I doubt it.

Nothing against the lad personally but he's been wide of the mark a few times recently.

I want Lucas to stay. I think he is a decent midfielder. It is possible he could become a very good one indeed if trusted a bit more and given more of an opportunity in light of Xabi's departure. But if he doesn't get enough games then he will probably just fall short and be sold for about what we paid for him. If that happens, it would not surprise me in the slightest to see him do very well elsewhere.

If he is played more then the worst that will happen is that we see that he is only a back up option and is not able to make the step up to first team regular.

I also feel we should not buy another striker as I want Babel to show what he can do as understudy to Torres in his favoured position. If he doesn't contribute this season then goodbye, but I'd rather see our 'nearly' players (e.g. Lucas and Babel) trusted a bit more to see what they can do.

I want Lucas to stay. I think he is a decent midfielder. It is possible he could become a very good one indeed if trusted a bit more and given more of an opportunity in light of Xabi's departure. But if he doesn't get enough games then he will probably just fall short and be sold for about what we paid for him. If that happens, it would not surprise me in the slightest to see him do very well elsewhere.

If he is played more then the worst that will happen is that we see that he is only a back up option and is not able to make the step up to first team regular.

I also feel we should not buy another striker as I want Babel to show what he can do as understudy to Torres in his favoured position. If he doesn't contribute this season then goodbye, but I'd rather see our 'nearly' players (e.g. Lucas and Babel) trusted a bit more to see what they can do.

Top post as usuall.

Repped.

The S** shite is made up like always, they have ripped it of Marca as its the same quotes I showed you the other day.

Yep,

This is more credible and the words aren't those someone who was angling to leave would be using.

Lucas out to replace Alonso for Liverpool FC

Aug 8 2009 by James Pearce, Daily Post

THE departure of Xabi Alonso may be tough to take but for one man the Spaniard’s exit represents the ideal opportunity to finally prove he’s good enough to make the grade at Anfield.

Lucas has struggled to endear himself to supporters since he arrived from Gremio two years ago.

Limited first-team chances and indifferent form meant many wrote him off as a £6m mistake.

He was booed by his own fans at Anfield last season and a dismissal in the FA Cup defeat at Goodison left him at rock bottom.

But Rafa Benitez never lost faith in the 22-year-old and after finishing last season strongly, Lucas has carried on where he left off.

Liverpool have hardly set the world alight during their pre-season travels.

In half their six matches they’ve failed to find the net and only Singapore and Norwegian whipping boys FC Lyn have been defeated.

However, a feature of their build up has been Lucas’ consistent and commanding midfield performances.

Benitez may have lined up £20m man Alberto Aquilani as Alonso’s replacement but the Italian is some way off full fitness.

The manager need someone to star alongside Javier Mascherano when the Premier League campaign starts at Spurs next Sunday and Lucas is up for the challenge.

“I am always ready and now Xabi is gone I hope there will be more opportunities for me,” he said.

“I am just working hard in training to try to earn a position in the team.

“I’ve played a lot of minutes in pre-season and that has given me more confidence.

“I’m feeling better and hopefully it will be a good season for me.

“I want to play every week but I know Liverpool have a strong squad.

“I just have to wait and respect whatever decisions Rafa makes.”

Lucas admits the loss of Alonso to Real Madrid after five years at Anfield has affected the squad but he insists the Reds can still mount a title challenge without the classy midfielder.

“Everyone was really sad to see Xabi go because he had been here a long time,” Lucas said.

“Last season he was one of the club’s best players but he has a plan for himself and his career. We have to respect that.

“We will continue to support him because he is a friend of ours. I hope he does well at Real and I’m sure he hopes we continue to do well here.

“We will miss him of course but I think we can cope without him.

“We didn’t play all the games last season with Xabi.

“He’s a really good player but we also have a lot of other quality players here.”

Lucas, who has scored four goals in 71 appearances for the Reds, believes he has reaped the rewards of his first full pre-season.

When he joined the Reds in 2007 he didn’t arrive until late July because of Gremio’s Copa Libertadores commitments.

And last summer he missed the start of the Premier League campaign due to the Olympic Games in Beijing.

He returned to Anfield with a bronze medal but looked jaded and struggled to impress.

Now he is refreshed and ready to showcase the kind of talent which in 2006 earned him the Bola de Ouro (Golden Ball), which is given to the best player in the Brazilian league.

Lucas was the youngest player to ever receive the award and it was an honour previously won by the likes of Zico, Romario, Kaka and Tevez.

“I have really enjoyed pre-season,” he said.

“It’s the first full one I’ve had since I signed for Liverpool and it has been great for me.

“Now I am feeling much more confident and fitter. I think I am a better player than I was last season.

“I’m looking to impress and we must see what happens.”

Lucas will probably get the chance at Anfield this afternoon to show supporters just how far he has come when the Reds play Atletico Madrid.

I'd gladly sell him. Replace him with someone like Mark Noble. Jobs a good'un.

Said it before, and I'll say it again. Lucas is a talented player, who just isn't suited to the English game. If he goes abroad, where he can get more time on the ball, he'll develop into a really good player.

The thing is Woo, thats far too simplistic isnt it. When Xabi went through his injuries and dips in form the season before last, many, many said he needed a run of games to return to full form. Indeed, its an often repeated mantra on this forum and across LFC fans that Rafa 'rotates' too much and doesnt allow players a chance to bed in and get their form up.

So I ask you, if you agree with that how would Noble do going from being a first choice CM to one that plays irregualrly and doesnt get his season going ?alternativley, how would Lucas fair, if he got a decent run of games under his belt where he played week in week out ? Id wager that in those circumstances, the tables turned if you like, Lucas would come out of it alot better.

WHile Ive mentioned that the standard of the Bola de ora may have dipped lately, with more youngsters coming to Europe earlier, Pato etc, you still dont become the youngest ever ' brazilian player of the year' withouthaving 'something' about you and Id wager in the long run, either here or abroad, Lucas will do far better than Noble.

I've said above that Id quite happily sell Lucas and move him on, but if it were a choice between Noble and Lucas, in the same circumstances here at LFC, at the same age, I know who I prefer to be our mid and its not the man from lundun tarn. Give Lucas the same games Noble has been getting and you'll see a much bette player, the question is would that still be good enough ?

Harsh but funny.

I was looking for Gob making the yacht 'disappear' in Arrested Development, but found this instead..

[YOUTUBE]qclBGpRt0b4[/YOUTUBE]

I kept waiting for:

"...and now if you'll be so kind as to expose your breats"

But it never happened. Shit without the Final Countdown music too.