You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Alberto Aquilani

ReddOrDedd

You and Kop may have a point but that was a bye product of why he was bought on.

He was bought on to keep a point and give Insua protection first and formost which tells us everything about the manager's cautious approach keep a point rather than risk it going for 3 points.

I disagree entirely. He was brought on, we pressed forward, dominated the game for the last ten minutes and nearly nicked it at the end.

If your view were right then we would have kept it tight and let the game fizzle out in midfield. But we didn't actually try to kill the game so it wasn't a defensive move nor a case of Rafa bottling anything.

Where the hell has the idea the Rafa's refusing to pick Aquilani come from? I've seen a few of these posts now and it's trés confusing.

Apparently he's afraid to pick him in case he's not successful. So Rafa has decided to avoid the risk of any Aqualani-related criticism by keeping him on the bench.

So when Rafa said he would be out for 4-8 weeks and then goes on to say he would cost £30M if injury free does it not make people wonder if the possible fee could be jus as wrong, maybe we have paid £17 + 3M for an injured player who in reality is a 12M player.

Its just as realistic as this £30M tag being thrown around, thats certain, probably even more considering how accurate his injury report was.

Its not even funny anymore, I guess most people thought the exact same as me after 17 minutes, no Aquilini in this game then.

I said the exact same thing to my mate. I wasn't surprised that Aquilani didn't come on, but i'd still have liked to see us making a positive change. Bringing Aurelio on, for me, was NOT a positive change.

Riera would have been a much better change, in my view.

I can remember earlier in the season when the Mancs played City at OT. Bellamy was giving O'Shea an absolutely torrid time and the game was level at 2-2. Ferguson took Park off and replaced him with Valencia.

I believe that those types of changes not only affect that physical side of football but also the psychological side as well. That's just my view though.

Guest Ulysses Everett McGill
I disagree entirely. He was brought on, we pressed forward, dominated the game for the last ten minutes and nearly nicked it at the end.

If your view were right then we would have kept it tight and let the game fizzle out in midfield. But we didn't actually try to kill the game so it wasn't a defensive move nor a case of Rafa bottling anything.

Right again

Guest Ulysses Everett McGill
Apparently he's afraid to pick him in case he's not successful. So Rafa has decided to avoid the risk of any Aqualani-related criticism by keeping him on the bench.

and again......

your entitled to your opinion not one I agree with, you dont have to kill the game to make a defensively minded substituion.

However like the last debate with Owen it will just go round in circles so lets agree to dissagree

from the guardian:

"Aquilani is in the squad and so he can play," said Benitez. "But it depends. The team has players in this position, [steven] Gerrard is coming back and the two central midfielders are doing well. We want to play him as soon as possible but we want to manage with the squad. Johnson and Agger will be fit. We have brought them here because we think they can play. We will decide after the training session. It's really important for us to have players coming back from injury, it can give us more options in every game."

I'm no fan of voronin - he missed a sitter against lyon and hasn't been seen since. I'm also not a Lucas basher and I do think he has been improving but he was partly at fault for the second goal and he missed a sitter. This is the perfect opportunity to give Aquilani some playing time from the start. If this isn't a game that Aquilani should start then i don't know what is.

from the guardian:

"Aquilani is in the squad and so he can play," said Benitez. "But it depends. The team has players in this position, [steven] Gerrard is coming back and the two central midfielders are doing well. We want to play him as soon as possible but we want to manage with the squad. Johnson and Agger will be fit. We have brought them here because we think they can play. We will decide after the training session. It's really important for us to have players coming back from injury, it can give us more options in every game."

I'm no fan of voronin - he missed a sitter against lyon and hasn't been seen since. I'm also not a Lucas basher and I do think he has been improving but he was partly at fault for the second goal and he missed a sitter. This is the perfect opportunity to give Aquilani some playing time from the start. If this isn't a game that Aquilani should start then i don't know what is.

Just shows what your dealing with, Rafa has totally lost the plot, I keep looking for signs that he might be getting it back and he goes and spouts shit like that

Why doesnt he just say Insua Lucas and Kuyt are my bum boys and I aint dropping them for no chico Italiano

Just shows what your dealing with, Rafa has totally lost the plot, I keep looking for signs that he might be getting it back and he goes and spouts shit like that

Why doesnt he just say Insua Lucas and Kuyt are my bum boys and I aint dropping them for no chico Italiano

i think rafa knows that if Aqualani gets injured he'll be out on his arse for buying

a player with an awful fitness record.he knows it'll tip the fans over the edge and be the straw that finally broke his back.

Rafa has caused his own problem with playing Lucas all the time, he now knows if he drops Lucas for Aqualiani, Lucas will Kick off and demand to leave in Jan. In Reality he should drop Mascher and sell him in jan but then the whole squad would probably commit mutiny.

This is all of Rafa's own making

Anyone who says Alonso's form wasn't significantly lower in the middle two seasons compared to his first and last should be on the sex offenders register.

your right he was average for 2 seasons.maybe momo had something to do with it though? he could win the ball but could he fuck simply pass it to Alonso.or anyone for that matter!

Rafa has caused his own problem with playing Lucas all the time, he now knows if he drops Lucas for Aqualiani, Lucas will Kick off and demand to leave in Jan. In Reality he should drop Mascher and sell him in jan but then the whole squad would probably commit mutiny.

if we sell mash and dont replace him with someone who can tackle? we will be twice as fucked as we are now.

your right he was average for 2 seasons.maybe momo had something to do with it though? he could win the ball but could he fuck simply pass it to Alonso.or anyone for that matter!

I thought Alonso and Momo were very good in that first season, it was the two seasons after that Xabi's form dropped one with Momo and the other with Mascher

Some good points there, I dont mind Lucas think he can do a decent job when he brings his game. Just that mascher can do it alot better, so keeping Lucas happy wouldn't be a problem unless the monster is off to sunny Barca at the end of the season. If it's so, hope it's sorted quicker than the Alonso deal and we buy a fit quality replacement. I would be really worried if it was left to Lucas next season.

Nick, you simply have to be drunk, I refuse to believe anyone would post what you have while sober. Its either that or you're on the wind up and are chuckling away as the likes of me actually reply to your posts.

And oldskooltom I'd be happy with Lucas screening and sitting in front of our back four, he's a good tackler and should get stronger as he matures, a midfield consisting of him and Aquilani wouldn't be too bad.

I thought Alonso and Momo were very good in that first season, it was the two seasons after that Xabi's form dropped one with Momo and the other with Mascher

i thought it was because the opposition sussed him out and in season 2/3 got someone to stand on his toes.but his performance last season probably makes that argument pretty weak.unless the opposition decided to concentrate on nando (and the gerrard partnership)?

its certainly a strange one

Nick, you simply have to be drunk, I refuse to believe anyone would post what you have while sober. Its either that or you're on the wind up and are chuckling away as the likes of me actually reply to your posts.

And oldskooltom I'd be happy with Lucas screening and sitting in front of our back four, he's a good tackler and should get stronger as he matures, a midfield consisting of him and Aquilani wouldn't be too bad.

The first post was obviously tounge in cheek but the second bit is actually serious in that Rafa does have a problem of his own making concerning Lucas and Mascher and fitting Aquiliani into the team and this might actually be a contributing factor as to the delay in getting him into the first team.

For me I would always pick the best available 11 no matter who it upset but I think Rafa knows that in his position he has to take other matters into consideration.

I hadnt thought about it in this way before Rafa's comments tonight.

really? i think he's a poor tackler.his body is never in the right position and thats why he gives so many stupid fouls away.