You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Alberto Aquilani

ReddOrDedd

If Lucas had showed the form Alonso had in 06/07 and 07/08 he'd have been given player of the year by a few on here.

You're probably right, and as an example it shows how entrenched some people get in various arguments. It doesn't hide that fact that Alonso's performance levels improved vastly in his last season with us after what was probably a very difficult summer for him with the manager clearly wanting him out.

Credit to the lad for that, but the chances are he wouldn't have performed to the same level last season without the cold war between himself and his manager stirring up some serious resolve on his part.

Not sure what your point is! He doesn't think he is a dud, Walton suggested he is!

You suggested Rafa didn't know what to do with him!

That is unfounded!

What part of "It's my opinion" are you struggling to grasp?

And he's had players in the past where it's seemed he's had no idea how to use them.

Dossena, Keane, Kuyt, Cisse and, to an extent, Gerrard.

You're probably right, and as an example it shows how entrenched some people get in various arguments. It doesn't hide that fact that Alonso's performance levels improved vastly in his last season with us after what was probably a very difficult summer for him with the manager clearly wanting him out.

Credit to the lad for that, but the chances are he wouldn't have performed to the same level last season without the cold war between himself and his manager.

Thats going to rub some people the wrong way but I would have to agree.

Credit to the lad for that, but the chances are he wouldn't have performed to the same level last season without the cold war between himself and his manager stirring up some serious resolve on his part.

I don't agree with the last part, but fair enough.

What part of "It's my opinion" are you struggling to grasp?

And he's had players in the past where it's seemed he's had no idea how to use them.

Dossena, Keane, Kuyt, Cisse and, to an extent, Gerrard.

You are right, it was only an opinion, sorry about that!

He didn't buy those players with no idea, he just bought players who have not been good enough in the roles they were bought for!

He has gone on record, time and time again, about how Aquliani can play further up field and link with the front, he has never mentioned him being able to play on the left.

Maybe that's where it's all gone pear-shaped? He's tried that with all the others this summer!

You are right, it was only an opinion, sorry about that!

He didn't buy those players with no idea, he just bought players who have not been good enough in the roles they were bought for!

He has gone on record, time and time again, about how Aquliani can play further up field and link with the front, he has never mentioned him being able to play on the left.

But that doesn't mean he's not played there.

I don't think he should be getting criticisim for signing Aquilani, if he rates him highly and thinks he can be a top player for us for five+ years.

In the short term his injury has hurt us, but it didn't need to if Benitez had played Gerrard in centre midfield over Lucas when he was fit. We've won every game Gerrard has been used in centre midfield this season.

The Mascherano / Lucas combination does not give us enough quality in possession, despite what Tomkins says in his latest piece.

I don't care Benitez bought Aquilani and I hope he is a top player. I am more concerned with Benitez's poor team selections, predicatble / baffling subs, the lack of options upfront, the poor form to important first teamers such as Carragher, Kuyt, Skrtel, Mascherano etc... rather than criticise Benitez for signing a player who has missed a few months dur to inury... he's here for five years, not five months.

Hurt us?! HURT US?! That decision is one of the major reasons why we've pissed this season down the drain already. We've got a marquee player who can't play, and Benitez seems reluctant to play.

Stop quoting BENITEZ' little he's here for five years thing. It's not the five weeks that we are all worried about, it's the pointless months that will follow January.

All I'm going to say on the matter, is that Rafa could have signed Zheng Zhi on a bosman in the summer, and he would've given us the creativity we lack, but he didn't, and he's paying the price.

Is he that Charlton-player? Isn't he crap, or has he developed since I last saw him play a few yeras ago?

Is he that Charlton-player? Isn't he crap, or has he developed since I last saw him play a few yeras ago?

He's aweome, he's China's captain, and is currently tearing it up at Celtic.

I was only joking aswell by the way, Kop ;).

My take on it is that if he can stay fit, Aquilani will prove to be worth the wait. And I really, really hope he starts tomorrow.

Maybe if Alonso had handed in his written transfer request as soon as he was aware of his desire to move, we could have got Aquilani for £10 million? By the time Xabi made his mind up not to hold out for more dosh, AA had signed a new contract.

'Midfielder Alberto Aquilani has renewed his contract with AS Roma until June 30, 2013'

AC Roma news» Latest News » AS ROMA/ OFFICIAL, Aquilani renews

He's aweome, he's China's captain, and is currently tearing it up at Celtic.

I was only joking aswell by the way, Kop ;).

My take on it is that if he can stay fit, Aquilani will prove to be worth the wait. And I really, really hope he starts tomorrow.

I really thought you meant it, you know like Irish people always wanting Irish players, Chinese people wanting Chinese players etc. Hehe

Maybe if Alonso had handed in his written transfer request as soon as he was aware of his desire to move, we could have got Aquilani for £10 million? By the time Xabi made his mind up not to hold out for more dosh, AA had signed a new contract.

'Midfielder Alberto Aquilani has renewed his contract with AS Roma until June 30, 2013'

AC Roma news» Latest News » AS ROMA/ OFFICIAL, Aquilani renews

It wasn't Alonso slowing down the deal, it was us, rightly, playing hardball with Real Madrid.

EDIT:And, according to UEM, our deal with Aquilani was done months ago.

I really thought you meant it, you know like Irish people always wanting Irish players, Chinese people wanting Chinese players etc. Hehe

I'd love us to sign a Chinese player, but unfortunately of the ten billion or so of us that there are, I'm the best footy player out of the lot of them.

The underlined part is contradicted by the emboldened part.

How did you work that one out, Lance?

You can't deem a signing a success or failure until you see him play. Unless he's Degen.

Or is that what you're trying to say?

I'm confused.